Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Dear Ehabtutor: I hope you are well. I had another email

Customer Question

Dear Ehabtutor:

I hope you are well. I had another email system issue. On 4/11/13 I recevied a Outlook for Mac email update, so I accepted it. I then lost all my email, I guess a new identity was built? So I read blogs on how to get my email back, but I think I created this new identity from an older one as I'm missing email sent and received between 7/25/12 and 4/11/13. Is there a way I can get this back? I didn't go the route of time capsule because I had spent 8 hours that weekend cleaning my desktop and refiling documents and didn't want to loose that. But I was wondering, can I bounce back and forth in time capsule to the date of 4/6/13 which is showing as a "back-up" get my mail and then bring it forward and bounce back to a "back-up" date of today? I really just want my lost email restored and I don't know what to do. Can you help?

Thanks so much!
Sherlyn
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Updating Office doesn't delete the Identity file. We can check and see if the Identity is still there or not. On your Mac, goto Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Documents folder. Open Microsoft Office folder and can you see the Identities there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My identities are all there. My question is if all my identities are there would email (sent and received) between 7/25 - 4/11 be somewhere in one of the folders too and if so, how do I add it?

When I was asked to update Outlook on 4/11/13 a pop up came up and asked if I wanted to change the name so I did. My problem, I think is...I have a whole bunch of identities and am not sure which one to go back too. I tried to fix it again on 5/7 and now I'm all confused.

When I updated the file I manually copied files from my 7/25/12 identity it seems. Make sense?

I have an 11:30 teleconference and will be back on line after that. I appreciate any help you can provide to me restore my mail and keep what I have since 4/11. Do you think this is possible?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sherlyn, We can open each and every identities and check which one is the correct one. Quit Outlook. Hold down Option key on your Keyboard and open Outlook. The Outlook Database Utility will open. You can see all your Identities in there. Select 1st identity, and make it default (by clicking the settings icon and select Set as Default). See picture below;

Then quit and restart Outlook. If it doesn't open your emails, then try again and this time select the second identity and make it default. Then restart Outlook. Repeat the steps until you find the correct identity.

About restoring from Time Machine : Yes, you CAN "bounce back and forth in time capsule to the date of 4/6/13 which is showing as a "back-up" get my mail and then bring it forward and bounce back to a "back-up" date of today" In other words, you can easily do selective restore from Time Machine without doing a full restore.

Open Time Machine application, choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu and the restore interface appears. You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time.

Goto the date 4/6/13. Then in Time Machine, goto your Documents folder, open Microsoft Office folder and restore the correct Identity. Then select it in Outlook using Database Utility.

If you have any trouble following the above steps, please let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Ok Sherlyn, I will be here and I will try my best to help you to restore your emails. Just reply back here when you are online..

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sherlyn, the Identity with the biggest file size should be your original identity. Try that first when you are back.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sherlyn,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help.

If you have not returned from an info request I sent out, please do so now so I can help you resolve this concern. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ashik -

Just last night did I have time to sit and try to resolve the issue. I
checked the identities and they all showed missing data between 7/25/13 ­
4/11/13; I thought that was odd. I didn't know if we can schedule time for
you to double check before I do the "time machine jumping." Is there a way
that I can give you access to my machine remotely? Or perhaps we can do a
GOTO meeting and I can "show my screen" so you can watch what I am doing and
walk me through it live? I have a GoTo Meeting account and would be happy to
set that up for us so you can help me resolve this issue. I really need that
email back. : (

Let me know your thoughts.

Best regards
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sherlyn,
Unfortunately, JustAnswer won't allow me to connect to your computer remotely. That is against the policy here. But I'll walk you through the steps.

Are you sure you opened and checked all identities ?

Also Sherlyn, can you restore the working identity (try one from previous month) from Time Machine and open that Identity in Outlook ? See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

(see the section says Restoring data from Time Machine backups)

Let me know if you have any trouble following the steps.

Best Regards,