Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Yesterday I saved an Excel for Mac 2008 file that I have

Customer Question
previously opened and saved many...
Yesterday I saved an Excel for Mac 2008 file that I have previously opened and saved many times. Today it tells me that it is read-only, and I can't open it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
5/14/2013
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.
In the Get Info window what does it say for Owner, User and Group?
Sincerely,
David.

No info on that. I note that this file was originally created in excel 97-2004. Currently accessed and used in Mac excel 2008.

It gives no information on Owner etc.

Owner User and Group are the three items in the Name column, under Sharing & Permissions.
Can you see those?
Sincerely,
David.

The sharing and permissions line at the bottom of the pane gives no info whether I point the arrow downward or to the right.

Now I see them. Ken (me) is read and write. Everyone else is read only.

Yes, Ken (me) is read and write privilege. Everyone else is read only.

Click the Apple menu in the top left. What does it say to the right of 'Log Out'?
Does Sharing and permissions say 'Ken (Me)' exactly?
There should also be a checkbox for 'Locked'. Is that ticked?
Thanks,
David.

To the right of "Log Out" it says Ken.

It says ken (Me).

Lock checkbox is not checked.

Click the Apple menu in the top left. What does it say to the right of 'Log Out'? It says Ken

Does Sharing and permissions say 'Ken (Me)' exactly? It says ken(Me)

There should also be a checkbox for 'Locked'. Is that ticked? no.

Did you get my answers? I sent them twice.

Please move the Excel file to your Desktop.
Now try to open it. This doesn't conclude troubleshooting as we need to find out what is wrong with the folder if this does work. So please let me know how it goes.
Sincerely,
David.
Yes I got them but I was locked out of the question, sorry for the delay.
Yours sincerely,
David.

Doesn't open from desktop.

I just got this message in a pop-up box:

Warning 120
Warning: there is probably another web application connected to the same Lightstreamer Server within this browser instance. That could prevent the current application from connecting to the Server. Please close the other application to unblock the current one.

I believe there is a lock file in the folder it was last saved in. Please put it back in the folder you just moved it from.
Then open Terminal. It is in /Applications/Utilities/
Then I need to know the path to the item to give you the next command.
Where is the file stored on disk?
Thanks for your patience,
David.
Please restart your browser for the other issue.
Regards,
David.

path

/Users/ken/Documents/reference ken/financial

OK, I will quit the Chrome browser and open it again.

Back with you with re-opened browser.

Browser has been restarted. Are we still in contact??

Can you open Terminal.
Type:
cd /Users/ken/Documents/reference\ ken/financial/
Note that there is a backslash before the space.
Then please press return.
Now type:
ls -al
Then press return.
Can you see your document listed? Is there another document with almost exactly the same name?
Sincerely,
David.
Hi Ken,
From my side I am having site issues with access denied errors. I apologize for this and the delay it is causing in getting back to you.
Sincerely,
David.

This time, miraculously, I stayed on the same page. Your software didn't kick me to a new page as it usually does after every entry.

Did my message on Terminal get through. I don't see it here. Again I got sent to a marketing page.

Hi Ken,
No, I have only what you can see on this page sorry :/
Can you post it here again please?
Thanks,
David.

total 488
drwxr-xr-x 11 ken ken 374 May 14 16:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 ken ken 1020 Mar 14 17:20 ..
[email protected] 1 ken ken 6148 May 14 16:06 .DS_Store
[email protected] 1 ken ken 17408 May 25 2008 2008 financial overview.xls
[email protected] 1 ken ken 19968 May 25 2008 2008 liquid assets.xls
[email protected] 1 ken ken 17408 Oct 27 2010 2010 financial overview.xls
[email protected] 1 ken ken 19968 Dec 8 2010 2010 liquid assets.xls
[email protected] 1 ken ken 17920 Jun 14 2012 2012 financial overview.xls
[email protected] 1 ken ken 20480 Jun 7 2012 2012 liquid assets.xls
[email protected] 4 ken ken 136 Aug 2 2012 Eaton Vance
[email protected] 1 ken ken 118784 May 13 17:56 k checking acct.xls
Macintosh:financial ken$

The file that won't open is k checking acct, the last one in the Terminal list.

David, this is taking a LONG time. Is it hopeless?

I'm afraid I have run out of ideas on this but I can opt-out and it will be placed in the pool of open questions. I think this is more of an Office specific issue rather than a Mac issue, and perhaps an Office expert can take it up from here. I am sorry.
Sincerely,
David.

Appreciate your efforts. Please report the extremely frustrating business of my being repeatedly flipped to a different and irrelevant page.

I will do that, thanks Ken.
Sincerely,
David.
Mike, Mac Medic