Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Do you help with lost documents using Microsoft Word for Mac

Do you help with lost documents using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

My apologies that no one responded to you sooner, If you still would like assistance with this issue I need to ask you a few questions to get started.

What version of max osx do you have on the mac thats missing your Microsoft word documents.. 10.6 10.7 10.8 , Snow leaopard, Lion, Mountain lion?

Also, roughly how many documents are missing?

Had you saved those documents before, and how long ago did you first notice the document/s missing..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, are you still there? I had to go to bed as it was late, UK time. Jackie

Hello Jackie, I went to bed as well about an hour before you responded, as it was late my time. ( Eastern United States )

I woke up a few minutes ago when I heard the laundry buzzer so figured I would check my messages and send you a reply. Though I will probably return to bed before too long..

when you get the chance can you provide further details about the issue, as requested below.

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dustin,

thank you for replying. In the meantime, I have managed to contact a couple of people (one a Mac expert) and explained the problem. My son also spoke to Microsoft in the US and it would appear that as his autosave icon was not on and that he was forced to quit, he has lost that information. We are in a situation of very little time left as he is due to hand in his essay today at 4pm Uk time. He has been concentrating on rewriting in view of all this.

The original document was saved but whatever he worked on yesterday was not. So I feel that unless you know of a possible quick fix which no-one has mentioned before, we are out of time.

Let me know your thoughts. Jackie

I dont want to waste any further time of yours or your Sons Jackie.

If the document was never saved manually to begin with .. And with autosave off..

Im afraid that the best action to take would be to manually rewrite the document. Normally had the document been saved, we could try to restore a working backup of it from Time machine, or use other recovery software made to recover deleted documents.

Unfortunately though in your sons situation, none of the industry "tricks" will suffice.

My apologies that I am not able to provide you with answer that is positive or helpful, other then to state the options that we might have taken if they were feasible. And to confirm what you were told by the mac expert and also Microsoft US.. Without the docment previosly being saved.. Theres not much that can be done..

I would however recommend for the future to never rely on Office for macs autosave feature. On mac,it has never been effectively reliable. Its far better to get in the habit of pressing control or command s to manually save the document each step of the way.. Such as at the end of each paragraph or each page..

Good luck to you and to your son, and my apologies that I wasnt able to offer more material assistance then this.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your input and help. If anything, this will be something he will never repeat again! Save, save save!

Have a good day,

Jackie