Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Have: Apple Mac Pro

"Quad Core" 2.66 (Original) Specs Identifiers...
Have: Apple Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.66 (Original) Specs

Identifiers: Mac Pro - MA356LL/A - MacPro1,1* - A1186 - 2113

Have bought used: Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch (Aluminum) Specs

Identifiers: Aluminum - M9178LL/A - A1082

Plug glides smoothly into port and on-indicator is pulsating fine - but nothing on screen.
Can this problem be worked out by updating og equal cleverness? - og du I have to return the display?
Yours humbly amateur
Kurt XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Denmark
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/11/2013
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration.

jstinehelfer :

If you have a problem with your display and nothing in this article addresses it, consult the service and support information that came with your display for instructions on how to contact an Apple-authorized service provider or Apple for assistance. If you attempt to repair the display yourself, any damage you may cause to the display will not be covered by the limited warranty on your display. Contact an Apple-authorized dealer or service provider for additional information about this or any other warranty question.

jstinehelfer :

No image on the screen

• Make sure the computer is turned on.

• Make sure the power cord is plugged in properly.

• Make sure the display cables are connected to your computer properly.

• Make sure the DVI or Mini DisplayPort display cable is connected securely.

• Make sure your computer is not in sleep mode.

• Make sure the brightness is set properly. The brightness control is under the right front edge of the display.

• Check for and install all available software updates. Software updates may provide solutions to many common issues.

jstinehelfer :

Note: If the display power cord is plugged into a grounded wall outlet or power strip, find out if power to the outlet has been interrupted. You can test the outlet by plugging in something that you know works, like a desk lamp or radio.

jstinehelfer :

After looking for updates through the Apple Menu and the problem still there, then it may be time to call for support. Hopefully your monitor is under warranty.

jstinehelfer :

Click link above to check out your support options for this device

jstinehelfer :

If you are satisfied with my help please give me a good rating.

JACUSTOMER-c6z0nxki- :

How goes?

JACUSTOMER-c6z0nxki- :

Display is second hand - have no papers. I just want to know if this Cinema Display can work with Mac Pro "Quad Core" as I can't make any of the two devices "talk" to my Mac PowerPC G5 which is my only computer in working order. I only have a USB external DVD/CD burner. Is it possible to download update or upgrade to make display work on this Mac?

Lindie-mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie

In the meantime I have borrowed a Medion display, plugged it into the second graphic port and got a picture on it so that I can operate.

When I choose Cinema HD, it still does not respond, even when I restart.

Contacting Apple, as your college suggested didn't help much.

The computer works OK with another display.

The Cinema Display works OK on another computer so:

Does my

Quad Core support the Cinema 23" Display (Aluminium)?

If yes - what is wrong?

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Lindie

The guy I bought the Cinema display from is coming here tomorrow, and I'm afraid I shall ask him to give me my money back, if you do not come up with something positive. It's a shame though, because it is a nice big screen to use for graphic and lay-out, which I do most.

Well, it's 01.43 local time now, so I have to get my 74-year old body to bed - hope there is some clever answer waiting for me in the morning.

Good Night,

yours sincerely

Kurt XXXXXXXXXXXX

Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

After evaluating what has transpired I would have to say the Cinema Display has 'retired' so to speak.
Since you can use different displays without issue that is the logical choice.
You say it connects fine but shows nothing. Can you connect it and the other monitor at the same time? I think your Mac Pro has to graphics ports, might be different connectors but it will support two displays without issue.
If you can get two displays connected then open System Preferences/Displays and see what it tells you.
Let me know and we can continue from there.

Daniel, Mac Genius

You are probably right. Thanks.

Give my love to Jesus.

Kurt XXXXXXXXX

Happy to have of been of help Kurt. Sorry the display doesn't work.
I use multiple screens myself because I have many things happening at once.

The Cinema may be worth getting looked at just to make sure it is bad and doesn't just need a fuse or something.
OK Daniel,
Here's a now qustion (same Mac): Use D-link to connect to my router. It
falls out when I close down, so I have to re-connect it every time I start
my Mac. How can I make it stick?
Driving me mad.
Do I have to install an Apple WI-FI card? And if so - what are the specs?
See connected files!

Spring is here
Kurt
I don't understand why you are using a D-Link. What router do you have? Who is your ISP and do they suply the modem?
I have a Linksys Router and I have no built in WI-FI on my Mac and so I use a D-link in stead of a cable to connect to the Linksys.
I asked you 2 questions:
1. Can you tell me why I have to re-connect the D-link and if there is a solution to this problem?
2. Do I have to install an Apple WI-FI card? And if so - what are the specs?
In other words: Would I be better off, if I bought some gadget to build into my Mac to establish a wireless connection?
I can not explain my problem better than that so if you can't help me on the informations given I suggest we forget the whole thing - and please remember this: Many of your customers are not familiar with the terminology and abbreviations you IT-nerds use - that is one of the reasons we ask questions.
It's 02 o'clock local time, so I bid you good night and look forward to reading your solutions to my problems tomorrow.
Yours sincerely,
Kurt Christiansen
Kurt,
It can use the Apple Airport Extreme card.
That one to be exact.
WHat else do you connect to the modem? What model D-Link, I do not have enough info to hazard a guess.
I do my best to allow for people that do not understand the terminology but things have names such as modems, routers, user permissions, etc.
Most are self explanatory if one thinks about it. If something is not understood then one should ask.
Thank you most kindly. I think that solved my problem.
Kurt Christiansen
Daniel, Mac Genius