Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

not able to boot up - hardware test (simple ran and was ok)

hi there- having a boot...

hi there- having a boot up problem with my macbook pro. running verify permissions for MacIntosh HD, responded with warning SUID file "systems/library/coreservices/remote/ardAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent has been modified and will not be repaired... then list of permissions differ.. any guidance would be appreciated - still hoping to boot in safe mode to grab some files... Jen

in the meantime ran repair disk Permissions, and its complete (differing permissions were repaired SUID file was not repaired...

5/7/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello Jen, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The SUID files are a left over that for some reason was left on the list, they can be safely ignored.
Repair the permissions, verifying them does nothing and there are always some that need it.

On to the boot problem.
Just what is or is not happening?
How far does it get booting up? A blinking folder? The Apple and spinning gear?
Do you have instal disks? Or are you running Lion/Mountain Lion?

Hey Dan - I get a white screen with logo and spinning gear, that will freeze after a time, I've attempted a safe boot but only get to about 1/4 of the process bar; I have install disks, running disk utility through install disk pressently... verifying disk, volume appears to be ok...

I've been working on it most of the day, but am relatively new to MAC and so am tentative (I know enough to get into trouble:)

Ok, first try a pram reset.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Give that a try and let me know.

Thanks Dan:

I ran the PRAM test through 5 chimes and now back to whitescreen logo and stalled gear.... no success

Ok, next is an SMC (System Management Controller),
If you can just pop the battery out do it this way.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
If you have the built in battery do it this way.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Try that and let me know.

hmm ok Dan Thanks:

no change, no light flicker or change on the adapter and white screen, logo and spinning gear.

I read that right? turn off computer, press L shift, option, command and power buttons (while power is off?) release then press the power button ot turn on

J

Not L, left side.
Which MBP do you have? I gave two methods and only one will work.
Press the left side Option, Command and Shift, no letter L.

Yes sorry Dan, i meant left side ('L' was for left, my bad) , any way no change

Holding the Shift key down while booting does not get to Safe mode?
I am confused here. What did you use to verify permissions?

I have that effect on people - ha.

holding down the shift key was my first step as i wanted to do a safeboot and grab some files that haven't been backed up (i know i know).

I'd get a process strip that would advance slowly to about 1/4 complete and then disappear...

As for verifying permmissions....

I ran the tests with the install disk- (holding 'c' key on power up) - selecting disk utilities...

...

I've been holding off on installing (or re-installing) fearing I'd lose files...so quick review of previous conversations on justanswer got me here....

Ok, reinstalling can be done without losing data if the right options are selected.
In the case of Snow Leopard and newer it does this by default.
It is called Archive and Install, it only writes a new OS and leaves all data and apps alone.
This should help explain this.

Complete Installation

It is a PDF and tells about different types of installing.

I would suggest trying Target mode to retrieve any files you want before doing that.

I am assuming that you have another computer communicating with me.

You will need a USB or Firewire cable to connect the two.

Hold down the letter T while starting the MBP up, connect the two together with the cable and it will mount like an external hard drive on the other computer.

It can be Windows or Mac but a Mac will be much easier.

Try that and let me know.

I am signing off for this evening and will be back in the AM.

Terrific Dan- will do. good night

Update? Any improvement?
Can you tell me how it is it got to this point? What happened that caused you to run these tests?

Hey Dan - thanks for your note..

i ran into a snag with the install last night.., .i continued through the welcome page, software license agreement. At the Install Mac OS X window, "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X"

my hard drive icon appears with the yellow triangular warning "at least 427.73 GB free 499.25 GB total":

and below the icon "Mac OS X cannot start up from this disk"

I have the option to 'go back'

I quit for the night as i think I have to go in to utilities window and need some guidance.

I am at that stage now.

Jen

Ok, now at the top of the window is a menu bar.
In that will be Utilities. From that drop down menu select Disk utility.

There will be a list of hard drives and optical drives on the left of the window, if your drive is in that list then click on it once to highlight.

Now click on the First Aid tab, at the bottom of the Disk Utility window you will see a button called Repair Disk.
graphic
Select that by clicking on it. It will either return that everything is okay or that some things were wrong and they were repaired or it found something wrong and it can do nothing about it.
If everything checks out okay or if it does the repairs you then want to repair the permissions.
There will be a button close to the list of drives that says Repair Permissions. Click that to selected and give it time.
There may be a long list of permissions that repairs or there may be only a few.
There will also be some that say SUID that will not be repaired if you have 10.5 or above.
Once you have completed this then you can quit Disk Utility and the installer.
Do Not Install Anything.
Simply restart your machine by selecting it from the menu bar.

Try that and see if it will now boot normally.

Daniel, Mac Genius

I did this before contacting you yesterday, anyway, I ran the repair again "volume MacIntosh HD appears to be ok , volume repair complete".

I quit installer and restarted... white screen, grey logo and spinning gear....

I seem to be repeating steps....

Daniel, Mac Genius