Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am getting an error message Problem loading page when trying

Customer Question

I am getting an error message Problem loading page when trying to access youtube. I'm using firefox as my browser but have also tried safari and chrome and get the same result.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OS X Version 10.8.3

processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I have now verified the disk, it was ok, and then I repaired permissions as instructed and restarted. Tried to pull up YouTube and was still successful.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I assume you mean unsuccessful? Do you have problems with any other sites? What is the exact error message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oops I'm sorry. yes i meant unsuccessful. I am not having any problems accessing any other site as far as I can tell. If I directly try to open www.youtube.com or when I open a page that has a youtube video embedded I am having the problem. The message is always Problem loading page. The connection timed out. The server is taking to long to respond.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK go to System Preferences/ Network / Advanced / DNS tab, use the plus sign to add these servers, then restart the computer and try again.

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, i added the servers and restarted and still got the same result.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok open Network Utility and select the lookup tab, type in youtube.com then select Lookup. Paste the results here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lookup has started…

Trying "youtube.com"
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
Trying "youtube.com"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 20637
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 22, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;youtube.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.5
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.9
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.6
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.2
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.1
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.0
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.14
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.8
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.4
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.7
youtube.com. 299 IN A 173.194.34.3
youtube.com. 3599 IN SOA ns1.google.com. dns-admin.google.com. XXXXXXXXXXNNN-NN-NNNN604800 600
youtube.com. 3599 IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:208.117.224.0/19 ip4:208.65.152.0/22 ip4:64.15.112.0/20 include:google.com mx -all"
youtube.com. 599 IN MX 40 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
youtube.com. 599 IN MX 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
youtube.com. 21599 IN NS ns2.google.com.
youtube.com. 21599 IN NS ns3.google.com.
youtube.com. 21599 IN NS ns4.google.com.
youtube.com. 599 IN MX 10 aspmx.l.google.com.
youtube.com. 21599 IN NS ns1.google.com.
youtube.com. 599 IN MX 50 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
youtube.com. 599 IN MX 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.

Received 544 bytes from 8.8.8.8#53 in 78 ms

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What country are you in and is this your home network? Who is your service provider?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm in France. I'm on my home network and the provider is Orange

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK remove all DNS servers from Network Preferences and put this one in:

82.229.244.191
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After putting that in I couldn't get any pages to open.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok put just these back in:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

go to System Preferences/ Security and turn off the Firewall. Do you have any virus or security software installed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no I don't have any. should i still turn off the firewall?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Then open Safari and go to Safari / Preferences / Extensions tab and turn off. Then go to Safari / Reset Safari and check all boxes then Reset. Then go to youtube.com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I followed the steps and we still have the same result.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please try the Chrome browser:

http://www.google.com/intl/fr/chrome/browser/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried Chrome and it also didnt work

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go here with any browser and tell me if you see the flash animation and then what version is listed in the box:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i see the animation.

11,6,602,180 installed

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please install the latest version:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i installed the latest version and then tried youtube and nothing has changed, same message.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Open Terminal and copy and paste each of these lines and hit Return after each then restart and reinstall Flash, then try again.

rm /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

hit Return

rm ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

hit Return

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

put in password XXXXX hit Return, restart, reinstall Flash, try youtube.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

followed your steps in terminal, then restarted and was able to successfully reinstall Flash. Tried YouTube and got the same result as before.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK can you try at a local hotspot so we can see if it is your service provider?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I would also reinstall this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to finally get to a hotspot and Youtube would still not load. I also downloaded and reinstalled the update from apple. No change.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please go to System Preferences / Users & Groups and make a new admin user account then log out of your account and into that new account. See if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I created the new account and tried youtube and it didnt work.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Wow... when you were at the hot spot I assume others around you had no problems with YouTube? Try uninstalling Flash and reinstall:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ya no one else had any problems. I have an Ipad and a phone that I am able to use to watch and access youtube with no problems here on my network. The computer is the only one that won't work.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK if uninstalling and reinstalling Flash does not work I suggest you reinstall Mountain Lion:

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. If all is OK quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After uninstalling and reinstalling Flash it still wasn't working. I will do the reinstall later today and get back to you with the results. By the way thanks for all your help so far, all though we haven't found a solution you have done a good job instructing me what steps to take. I will message you later after I try the reinstall of OS X

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK good luck.