Brian
Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
34753528

iphoto application appears to be gone; not showing on Desktop

iphoto application appears to be gone; not showing on Desktop or in applications folder. Can I get it back?

Brian :

Hello. Have you clicked on the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass) in the upper right corner of your menubar and searched for it there?

Customer:

No.

Brian :

Spotlight will search your entire Mac, and will group the results by category (folders, documents, applications..). See if the iPhoto application comes up there.

Customer:

what is the iphoto application file's name?

Brian :

The app name is just "iphoto".

Customer:

I see a folder that says iphoto; but when I click on it, all that comes up is an Acknowledgments pdf file.

Brian :

It will look something like this, if Spotlight finds the application:

Full Size Image

Brian :

So you didn't see any results in the "Applications" section?

Customer:

The only folder in mine say iPhoto, and the only in the folder is the "Acknowledgments" pdf file.

Customer:

I don't see anything in the "Applications" section either.

Brian :

Ok. Did you have iPhoto open recently?

Over on the upper left corner of your screen, if you click the Apple Menu > Recent Items, do you see iPhoto in the Recent Applications list?

Customer:

No, it is not showing up there.

Brian :

Ok. The current version of iPhoto requires 10.7, I'm going to look for an older version that's compatible with your Mac. Just a moment.

Brian :

Do you have a Time Machine backup?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I have Time Machine but have never set up.

Brian :

If you click the Time Machine icon in the menubar, what does it say?

Customer:

"You haven't selected a location for Time Machine backups"

Brian :

Ok. If there's no backup, and the current version (in the App Store) isn't compatible with 10.6.8, then I'll need to send you a link to download a slightly older, compatible version. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but iPhoto is a bundled (free) application that came with your Mac.

It's 500 MB, though. So it will take about an hour or so for me to upload it. I've already started the upload, so what I'd like to do now is for you to bookmark this page, so that you can return to our chat a little later. Will you be available in an hour or two?

Customer:

Yes, I will be here for the next 1.5 hrs. I have bookmarked the page. How do I know when you are back?

Brian :

Ok. Good. It should be finished uploading around then. When I see that it's done, I'll respond to this chat and you should receive an email alerting you to my response. If you don't see an alert after an hour or so, just return to this chat via your bookmark, and I'll see how close the upload is to finishing.

Brian :

It's about 15% done right now.

Customer:

Okay, I am going to this page open and watch for your return.

Brian :

Great I'll check back in an hour. Thank you.

Customer:

How is our upload coming along?

Brian :

Just finished as I was typing.

Ok. I'm going to post a link to the iPhoto installer. This is a ZIP file, so when you click the link, it will download. After it downloads, if the ZIP file doesn't decompress automatically, just double click it, and you should see "iPhoto.mpkg". This is the installer. Double click that and it will run.

It will take you a few minutes to download this file, although nowhere NEAR as long as it took me to upload

Brian :

starsite.co is my personal FTP server on my domain.

Brian :

so it's safe to download.

Brian :

When you run the installer, it will install iPhoto 8 in your Applications folder. If you had a slightly newer iPhoto version at the time it was deleted, you may need to run Software Update (Apple Menu > Software Update) before it will open.

Customer:

I am downloading it now.

Brian :

Ok.

Customer:

When I double clicked on the iPhoto.mpkg it gives me the following message "You are attempting an unsupported installation. If you wish to install an individual application, please use the iLife installer and select the Custom button".

Customer:

When I double clicked the iPhoto.mpkg installer it gives me the following message "You are attempting an unsupported installation. If you wish to install an individual application, please use the iLife installer and select the Custom button".

Brian :

Sorry I was away for bit. This is the installer app. Same as before, click the ZIP file to download it. This file is very small (2 MB). After the ZIP file decompresses, double click the the "iLife 09.pkg" file. The iPhoto.mkpg file needs to be in the same place as the "iLife09.pkg" file, so that the installer can find it.

http://starsite.co/iLife09.pkg.zip

Let me know how that goes.

Customer:

When I try and load the iLife09; I am getting "Registration can’t be installed on this computer" and "This software requires Mac OS X version 10.5.5 or later." messages.

Brian :

Ok.

Brian :

Copy the following line of text.

touch /tmp/com.apple.mpkg.iLife

Then open Applications/Utilities/Terminal. When the Terminal window opens, it will show you a short prompt, and will await your input. When you see the prompt, paste the command, and press Return. Nothing will happen to tell you the command was accepted, but that's ok.

Then double click the "iPhoto.mpkg" file I sent you earlier.

Brian :

That should bypass the error you received the last time.

Customer:

iPhoto is now in the applications folder. When I click on it to open it, I get the following messages "You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto."You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto." Can I open my picture folders?

Brian :

That's ok, what I sent you wasn't the most current "version 8". It's just the version I had. You had 8.something at the time yours was deleted. Run Software Update (Apple Menu > Software Update). This should find an update for iPhoto. After you run that, you should be able to open iPhoto.

Brian :

I know this seems like a lot of downloading and updating, but without you having 10.7, or a TimeMachine backup, it's the only way to resolve it.

Customer:

Looks like iPhoto is now working with existing files/albums. Should I do Time Machine backup? Your help is much appreciated.

Brian :

Great! Time Machine works best if you have an external hard drive, like a USB or FireWire connected drive. If you have one that's blank (empty), just connect it to your Mac. Then open Applications/TimeMachine and select that drive for your TimeMachine backup.

If everything is back on track, and you're happy with the resolution, just click Accept. Thanks very much!

Customer:

Thanks again. Bye!

Thank you so much! Have a good night.