Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have been trying to open my iphoto and it will not open.

Icon spins for a minute...
I have been trying to open my iphoto and it will not open. Icon spins for a minute and then comes up with this response "Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable". I have shut it down and opened it up and tried again but with the same response. can you please help
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/16/2013
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Can you provide me what version of Mac OS X you are currently using? (i.e. Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, or Mac OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion, etc)

MacTechTrainer :

Here is one way to resolve this issue with iPhoto not properly responding:

MacTechTrainer :

Back Up and try rebuild the library: You this by pressing the Apple Command Key and Option (or Alt) keys while launching iPhoto.

MacTechTrainer :

Select Choose to Repair Database.

MacTechTrainer :

If this does not resolve the issue, the try the process for relaunching iPhoto again but this time around, select Rebuild Database.

MacTechTrainer :

Try either of these two procedures and let me know if either works

MacTechTrainer :

I see you are offline. When you are back online however, just reply back to this session, I will be alerted, whether I am online or off and will be able to assist you further.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for posting your question, I look forward to assisting you shortly.

MacTechTrainer :

Terry

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist

MacTechTrainer :

Regards,

Customer:

10.6.8

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for the information about your Mac OS X version

MacTechTrainer :

and for coming back online

MacTechTrainer :

are you able to see the first set of instructions I posted above for you?

Customer:

10.6.8 I don't want to loose any photos as I don't have them backed up.

MacTechTrainer :

That is understood from the onset

MacTechTrainer :

no need to worry there- these procedures are to help you regain access back into iPhoto, not cause you to lose photos

MacTechTrainer :

please attempt the first set of instructions provided, to see if you can gain access into your iPhoto application once again. If you do not see those instructions I posted earlier, just let me know and I will repost them for you

Customer:

10.6.8 I do not want to loose any photos as I do not have them backed up. can you reassure me that I will not loose any photos otherwise I will take my computer to someone else

MacTechTrainer :

I have directed customers on iPhoto issues for over 6 years using these same procedures- believe me, I can assure you won't lose photos using these processes as they come directly out of Apple's support processes on iPhoto launch issues

MacTechTrainer :

I would like to assist you, but I cannot operate with your fear overruling my expertise

MacTechTrainer :

I have to be able to confide in you to follow my instructions to get you back into using your iPhoto properly

MacTechTrainer :

if you feel too strongly to do so, we completely understand - I would not put a valued customer in a precarious position, that I can assure you

MacTechTrainer :

shall we continue?

MacTechTrainer :

Please respond if possible, so I can know if I can resume the proper steps to assist you with your iPhoto application

MacTechTrainer :

I have a number of safe, proven steps to help you, but I cannot provide and execute them without you

MacTechTrainer :

Are you still with me?

Customer:

ok i will try

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for trusting me! I won't let you down

MacTechTrainer :

So tell me if you would, do you need me to re-post my first set of instructions I provided at the beginning of our session here?

Customer:

I have held the optio and command key down while opening iphoto. The response is: - Rebuild the photos' small thumbnails - Rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails - Recover orphaned photos in the iPhoto Library folder - Examine and repair iPhoto Library file permissions - Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup - Reclaim unused disk space from databases - ==== There is no option Choose to Repair Database , unless you mean - Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup

Customer:

well what don't you have an answer?

Customer:

I am sorry but my internet connection is very bad tonight

Customer:

Are you there?

Hello Brian, my apologies for the inconvenience our chat interface is causing you, I don't think your internet connection is so bad, as it may just be our chat interface.
As a result, in order to better assist you, I have now switched from Chat to our Question and Answer (Q & A) mode in order to better communicate with you.

Please note, in this mode, we will be posting our responses to each other. Only one of us can post a reply and the other can review that reply. Therefore I ask for your patience in advance, while troubleshooting your issue, as I may not answer you immediately. This does not mean I am not available, it just means I may either be researching your issue further or may be in process of providing you a more detailed answer.

Please reply back to this session, to let me know you are able to view my responses ok and I will start working to assist you with your iPhoto question.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

-Terry. Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Ok I am now responding on my phone
Thanks for the update Brian,

Now given the version of iPhoto that you are using, this could very well explain why you do only see Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database.

If you have not already attempted to do so, try the rebuild function.

Keep in mind, this procedure Brian, will not remove any photos in your iPhoto library; this process is just in place to implement when a user is unable to access their iPhoto library.

So give it a try and update me when you can.
I will be watching for your next update.

Kind Regards,

-Terry

It's working now! I had looked at this repair before I contacted you but I was worried about losing photos. It's all good now! Thanks for your reassurance and help in this matter.

Why did this happen, is there any chance this will happen again? Can I do something to ensure this does not happen again? Also is there something I can do to clean up my computer and make it faster.

Great to read Brian!

Why this issue occurs in iPhoto, I cannot determined. I have checked Apple support resources on this issue and not much detail is provided, only processes to resolve iPhoto launch and library access issues.

What I would recommend if you have not already done so, is consider using the built in Time Machine software in Mac OS X, which will allow you, with an external hard drive, back up your Mac OS X files including your iPhoto library.

To get more information about iPhoto, here is a link to setting up Time Machine on your Mac, with an external hard drive for the first time: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Aside from this Brian, make sure to make note of the process of rebuilding your iPhoto library in case you need to implement that procedure in the distant future.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to assist you with your question. If you have more questions I am here.

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us. Your Positive Feedback is also very appreciated!

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue
you received help from me, comes back.

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

Kind Regards,

Terry ("MacTechTrainer)
Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Is there something I can do to clean up my computer and make it faster.

I have been told it is not necessary to get anti virus for a mac so I have never bothered but this is the first time I have had an issue. Do you recommend any thing to make it safer and faster.

Most definitely.

You can perform several processes to make your Mac operate faster.

I have just the detailed article to recommend you view in order to better optimize your Mac and allow it to run and operate faster and more efficiently:
How to Speed Up, Clean and Optimize your Mac

This is one of the better guides I have seen Brian, because it provides all of what I would recommend you do in order to speed up your Mac.

If you have any inquiries after reviewing this article, just let me know, but I think after reading it, and trying some of the recommended processes, it will not be long before you see marked improvements in speed and performance on your Mac.

Thanks for asking!

-Terry
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer