Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How hard is it to change the keyboard on a white MacBook? My

Customer Question
girlfriend bought a used one...
How hard is it to change the keyboard on a white MacBook? My girlfriend bought a used one and instead of a spanish keyboard, it came with a Cyrillic keyboard. Yikes!

She was replacing a white MacBook that looks exactly the same, except for a slight difference in the camera above the screen.

Do you think we will be able to move the keyboard from one to the other?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
4/5/2013
Mac Support Specialist: James, Sr. Mac Support Expert replied 4 years ago
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert

It is not very difficult to replace the keyboard - you need to replace the entire "top" of the Macbook, including the mouse pad. The replacement part must be identical, so if there is a difference in models, the part will not fit.

I am including a video that shows step-by-step how to remote the top of the case, which includes the keyboard, it will show you exactly how to replace the keyboard on the Macbook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvoIbu7r9pM

I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Many thanks,

James.

Thanks James, Is there a way I can look for the model numbers so you can say whether the two are compatible? As I said there is a small difference in the camera but otherwise they look like the same machine.

Certainly - the model number can be viewed on the Mac - click the Apple icon, and then About this Mac.

Here is the article that describes this, as well as the model numbers for the Macbooks:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1635

Many thanks,

James.
Hi Paul,

I'm following up to see if you needed more information.

If you got everything you needed, kindly don't forget to rate me - many thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert