Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i use microsoft word for documents. i feel microsoft slows

iMac. i want to use...
i use microsoft word for documents. i feel microsoft slows iMac. i want to use another system if a comparable and compatible one is available for iMac.
we have two iMacs in 0ffice here, a 27" and a 23", plus iPads (2), iPhone and so on.
i use Pages on iPad for notes and find it very user friendly and efficient.
help?!
mattie fox
4/4/2013
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
There is a free comparable software called open office you can get from here: Click Here

It comes with a full office suite and not only a version of word. It is made by Apache as well which means it should not slow down your Mac at all. It is not very resource intensive.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.

many thanks, Freddy.

However....oops!...I forgot to say we've been using microsoft for email and excel as well - presume the Apache has all that?

Also is Apache the maker of other Mac systems? i note you say "as well" which leads me to think maybe it does?

When we're done I will of course leave the rating. it's an excellent service and have used it before.......

Let me know about the above couple of queries please?

If you were me would you remove the Microsoft, and just use iMacs own Mail, and the Apache suite?

it's the way I feel we should be going, I hate all these semi-spurious (albeit good and compatible with everyone else!!) systems intruding on the iMacs own impeccable efficiency.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Mattie

Mattie

.
Your welcome Mattie,

Apache does indeed have an excel type application that can even use your current excel spreadsheets. That goes the same for your word documents it will be able to open them.

As for email it does not have that but Mac Mail or the free Thunderbird from here will work as good as outlook: Click Here I personally prefer Thunderbird over all other email clients.

Apache has made a lot of Mac software in the past and is a Free Open Source foundation for multiple projects: Click Here They have a very good reputation for providing high quality software that is still free. A lot of their software is actually created by volunteers.

If Microsoft Office is slowing your machine down I would replace it with open office and Thunderbird or Mac mail. Though if it was not slowing it down I would have kept it simply because it is paid software and I would want to get my money out of it.
.

FINAL QUESTION :

when you say "open office" do you mean such as Apache?

from your overall I sort of interpret your own advice as being to use Mail on the system, and use the Apache office suite for documents and excel.

Am I corrrect in my interpretation?

(don't worry I'm not going to blame you if it isnt' right!!. I appreciate you're role is not necessarily to 'recommend' things as such)

Mattie

No worries Mattie,

If you have any questions at all I am happy to answer them. Open Office is the name of the office suite Apache developed.

To answer the question yes I would use this: Click Here With either the Mail system mac came with already or Thunderbird from here: Click Here Which you choose for mail is entirely up to you. I personally prefer Thunderbird.
.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician

Freddy

Mattie Fox here - again!

if this requires another payment that's okay, I completely forgot to ask a vital question. That is, will the email carrier 'eircom' work with Mail?

My business address since the beginning of using email has been "@eircom.net", and while it is far from the greatest provider in the world it is the one I'm known through.

There's no rush on response, I'm away tomorrow Friday 5th, and in any case won't be making any dramatic decisions about scrapping outlook until I've covered all the bases that might cause problems.

So some day next week will be just fine

Thanks in advance. Look forward to your guidance.

Again, as I say at outset, if this round requires another payment that's absolutely fine.

Mattie Fox

.
If it works with outlook it should work with Mac Mail as well.
You would just need the sever settings which are listed here: Click Here
.

Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician