Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

imovie 11 unexpectedly quit and I lost my project. can you

Customer Question

imovie 11 unexpectedly quit and I lost my project. can you help me find it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

10.8.2

processor 2.5 ghz core i5

4 gb 1600 mhz ddr3

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
doing that now. still waiting to restart
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i 'm repairing permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Verify Disk was OK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK let that finish then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the permissions repair is complete but when i go to the apple logo on the upper left corner i only have the option to restart shut down and start up disk
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I meant after restart
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there a faster way to communicate other than emailing?waiting to restart
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what am i looking for on updates?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im on software updates. what should i do now?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Install anything it says, system for sure maybe iMovie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. nothing on imovie. but i'm downloading the latest update anyway.

it's a new computer. can u tell me in the meantime what you think might have happened and if it sounds like i can recover my project? i need to finish by tomorrow so if it wont work i need to know so i can start it from scratch...but if there's hope, pls let me know.

also, whats up with imovie? does it do this often?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have only one hard drive or do you have an external?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was saving to my external.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK in that case you need to also Verify Disk on the external drive just open Disk Utility from your Utilities folder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i verified disk and it says that it appears to beok. doesnt give me option to repair disk permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Right that is only for system drives, ok now open the Terminal app in Applications / Utilitites and copy and paste this:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

Hit return and restart the computer, then open iMovie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. imovie is opened. file is not there. or it is, but it has nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Is that the same as before or did you not even see the project before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
exactly the same as before
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all the videos that i imoorted are on in the library, but the project is not there
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I assume you mean the Event Library? I don't understand you said the project WAS there in the Project Library but empty? Can you clarify?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, the videos i imported are in the events library, but the project is no where to be found
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you see the words Project Library like this? If so click on it.
graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, of course. i've clicked on it and my project is not there.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK sorry some customers don't... you know how it is.

OK in that case I'm afraid it is gone. If you have a Time Machine backup you could try to recover the project before it crashed. If not you can go to the external hard drive and open iMovie Projects, right click on your project and go to Show Package Contents, that should at least have your clips and what is salvageable. Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i don't even have an imovie projects folder on my external hard drive. that's what i don't understand.

i also don't know how this can be preventable from happening again. i started a new project and it created an imovie projects folder, but how can i be assured that it won't disappear as well?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have time machine but i haven't set it up. does that mean i can't recover anything?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Right nothing is backed up. Are you sure you chose the external drive when creating the project? Was it listed under the drive like this?

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It can only save to the HD or to the external drive, and it's in neither...

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok it would be in your Movies folder on the internal drive. Sorry hard to say what hapened but you should get the Time Machine backup going so this does not happen again, Good luck.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, i know it should be there, but it isn't either.

i'm sorry, but i can't provide an ok rating as you haven't really helped me much either with recovering my file or with help in preventing it from happening again. i was hoping to get more guidance from someone who understood imovie and could tell me why it's doing this.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Really? I understand iMovie, things happen, some file are simply not recoverable that's just the way it is sorry. We went through all the things we needed to do to make sure your drives were not corrupt which would cause that. Computers crash it is very difficult to determine what exactly caused it. I would have to go over every clip and transition, effects, audio, etc, you made and look at al the files, etc...not possible over the internet and it's gone so we can't do that anyway. I did tell you how to prevent it from happening again at least by having Time Machine on you can go back to good version. Good luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Thanks... did I really deserve that I did the best I could I am not magician. Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I"m sorry, but I don't feel like you were able to offer expert service. I lost an hour doing things i knew how to do on my own. I need to start over and i don't even know what i did wrong and how to prevent it...

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Good luck

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I suggest you go to an iMovie class at an Apple store. You can take your project and see if they can help. That would be impossible here. You didn't necessarily DO ANYTHING wrong. It happens. With a backup at least you can go back to the last good version and not lose the whole project. You do not have to Rate me at all if you can't rate at OK or higher thanks. Good luck.