Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

On one of my iPhones (4S) and on my iPad when I receive an

On one of my iPhones (4S) and on my iPad when I receive an email it shows up in my inbox but even if I do not open it, when the email goes out to get new email, the onethat it had downloaded is deleted, but it does not go to trash or any other folder. I have serached for a setting that would cause it but there is none that I can find. The same email is received in my Outlook on my computer and of course remains since it has been downloaded into a seperate application. Can you tell me what is happening to my mail in the inbox and how to fix it?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Usually the default is set to 50 new messages and the oldest gets pushed off.
It sounds like the new one is pushed off on your devices, true?

What version of iOS is on the iPhone and iPad?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

6.1.3. Just updated today but this started a day or two ago. Was the same for previous iOS. My inbox is empty. Then one comes in or a few more if they are at the server. Then they sit in the ick for new mail. If there is new mail, it is downloaded and the previous are deleted. If there are no new emails the previous one is deleted anyway. They are not in any of the other folders (trash, deleted, notes, drafts, RSS, sent, asent messages, spam, VIP)

Well I suggest starting with a reset. This can fix many issues but may not be all that is needed.

To reset the iPad/iPhone press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons down until the Apple appears, ignore all other screens, then let go.
graphic
graphic
This does a system reset much like a restart of your computer does.

Make sure to wait for the APple or it does nothing.

If that fails, get mail and see, then a restore may be next.

That applies to all iOS devices.

Failing that, this is next.

Try those in that order and let me know.