Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am selling my iMac to a friend. I need to clear the hard

I am selling my iMac...
I am selling my iMac to a friend. I need to clear the hard drive but would like to include exsiting programs on the machine. I've already transferred my iTunes & iPhotos.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

The best way to erase your information but still keep the existing programs on your computer is to create a New Admin account and then erase your account. I can walk you through this process.

Appleologist :

Are you chatting from the computer that you are selling?

Customer:

no.

Appleologist :

Ok good. If you are near the iMac, is it possible to turn it on? If not, I can leave you with instructions on creating a new account and deleting the old one

Appleologist :

Hello, I am actually not offline. it is showing you are in standby mode

Appleologist :

There you are

Customer:

I apologize... my confused mistake.

Appleologist :

Ha ha.. Its ok

Appleologist :

Are you near the iMac?

Appleologist :

If so, can you power it on?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, let me know when it is on

Customer:

yes, powered up

Appleologist :

Ok great. Now click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Under Systems, choose User and Groups. Earlier versions may say accounts

Customer:

got it... done

Appleologist :

Ok in the bottom left corner, click on the lock and enter your computers password

Customer:

iunlocked

Appleologist :

Then right above the lock, click on the "+" sign. This will add your new account. Make sure you make the account an admin account. You can either name the account Admin or his name

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok now there should be 2 accounts in the left column. Yours and the one you just created. Correct?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Now click on the apple logo in the upper left corner again and choose Log out (last option). Sign into the newly created account

Customer:

Wow.. A ta da moment... Do I then delete previous accounts?

Appleologist :

Ha ha Yes. To do this, click on the apple logo again, choose system preferences and then choose accounts or user and groups

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

Ok now press the lock again to make changes. Then select your old user account and then press the "-" to delete it

Appleologist :

Did you set a password XXXXX your friends account?

Customer:

- next to +

Appleologist :

Yes, select your account first and then press the "-" button that is next to the + sign

Customer:

Hmmm ger an error window that says Unable to remove the user Greg Wray An error occurred while backing up this user's home folder.

Appleologist :

When you choose delete, which option did you choose. it should give you 3 options

Customer:

The top one

Appleologist :

Choose the last one. Can you read it to me. Im sure it says erases all user data

Appleologist :

It should say delete home folder

Customer:

Delete home folder... Erase home folder securely

Appleologist :

Yes, choose the last one

Customer:

Ta Da!

Appleologist :

You are all set. Your old iMac is ready for delivery to your friend wrapped in a bow

Appleologist :

Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No, Thank you so much.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a fantastic Day

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.

Appleologist :

By the way, I see you made a duplicate question. I already closed the duplicate question and took care of that

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician