Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I have just received my new iMac with 27 inches display and

I have just received my new iMac with 27 inches display and would like to connect it to my Mac Book Air with the thunderbolt cable. I pugged the cable to mini display port in MBA and the second end to thunderbolt port in iMac. I also used cmd+f2, but nothing happened. My iMac shows that no devices is connected to thunderbolt ports.
How it is possible to fix?

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Appleologist :

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Are you trying to migrate information from your macbook air onto your iMac?

Customer:

At the moment, no. I would like to use iMac as a display for MBA. But later I shall need to transform my files to iMac.

Appleologist :

Are you pressing Command + F2 on the macbook air or on the iMac?

Customer:

On iMac

Appleologist :

Which computer are you chatting from now>

Customer:

iMac

Appleologist :

Before we try to power down the macbook air, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner, choose system preferences and then choose display

Customer:

Done, I have only one display seen in Display preferences

Appleologist :

Can you do the same on your macbook air?

Appleologist :

Do you see an Arrangement tab?

Customer:

Should it be somewhere in System Preferences-Display ?

Appleologist :

Within your display settings, you should see three tabs Display, Arrangement and Color

Customer:

I see only two: Display and Color

Appleologist :

Ok lets power down the macbook air. When you power it back on, it should automatically notice a monitor is connected it to. Can you bookmark our chat so you can return incase you are disconnected. In safari, click on Bookmarks in the upper menu bar and then choose add boomark

Customer:

OK, I have powered the MBA off. Should I start it now?

Appleologist :

Disconnect the cable, then reconnect the cable. Then power your macbook air back on

Customer:

I have done it, but still there is no Arrangements in Display settings

Appleologist :

The last thing left to look at is the cable your are using. In your description you mentioned your have a new iMac. Are you using an actual thunderbolt cable or a mini display cable? Does the cable have a thunderbolt logo?

Full Size Image

Customer:

It is Thunderbolt cable that came with iMac

Appleologist :

Does your macbook air have the thunderbolt logo near the port?

Customer:

Do you mean logo near the port on the right side of the computer?

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

Near the port you should see a thunderbolt logo

Customer:

No, there is only usb and mini display logos there.

Appleologist :

Ok, that seems to be your issue right there. Your iMac is not recognizing it as a monitor because your macbook air is using mini display and not thunderbolt. iMacs Mid 2011 and older will only connect using thunderbolt to thunderbolt. Here is the article that explains your situation http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3775

Appleologist :

So it is nothing you are doing wrong, it is a compatibility issue

Customer:

So what to do? Is there any solution?

Appleologist :

So I can provide an alternate solution, I would need additional information, What were you looking to accomplish by using your imac as a monitor

Customer:

Yes, at the moment.

Appleologist :

I meant are you looking to have just 2 different monitors or are you looking to mirror what is on your macbook air

Customer:

I would like to have two different monitors and to drag windows from MBA to iMac. Previously, I was using the VGA display as a second display on my MBA.

Appleologist :

OK so that may not be possible without an adapter. Give me a few mins to see if there is an adapter that will allow you to do that

Appleologist :

Ok, as I suspected, such adapter does not exist. I wish I had better news for you. If you wish to have an extra external display, you will need to purchase a display that supports thunderbolt. Do you have access to another mac that has thunderbult?

Appleologist :

If you wish to use a monitor for your macbook air, then you will need a monitor that supports mini display

Customer:

No, iMac is my new office computer and MBA is my private computer I use at home and in travels.

Customer:

If I could not use Imac as a display, how it would be possible to transfer my files from MBA to iMac? Are they completely incompatible?

Appleologist :

Im sorry, I wish I had better news but you have an incompatibility issue. So you will not be able to use your imac with your macbook air

Customer:

OK, bluetooth connection seems to be working, at least...

Appleologist :

Yes, that will defiantly work since that is done wirelessly and you will not need cables. You can also use your icloud account to access the same documents on both computers

Appleologist :

Was there any els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Is it possible to use screen sharing option for viewing iMac display from MBA?

Appleologist :

Yes, you can defiantly do that. You will need to enable screen sharing on both computers. To do this, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Click on Sharing under Internet and wireless. Then in the left column, check screen sharing

Appleologist :

Then in the left sidebar in finder, you will see the computer you wish to screen share. Click on it and enter your password

Customer:

No, I do not see the computer I wish to screen share. Is it necessary to allow access for all users (now I have permission only for Administrators?

Appleologist :

Yes, you will need to select to allow permission to all users. On your iMac, Go back to system preferences and choose sharing. Choose All users under Allow access for

Customer:

I did but it does not appears in my MBA Finder.

Appleologist :

In finder, Choose finder from the top menu and select preferences

Appleologist :

Under shared, is connected server selected?

Customer:

Yes, it is selected

Appleologist :

in finder, what is listed under shared?

Customer:

Just some other computer , but neither of my

Appleologist :

Are both computers on the same network? Also go back to sharing in system preferences. At the top, is your computer name correct?

Customer:

You are right, they were not in the same network. Now they are in the same network and I can see them in Finder, both in MBA and iMac

Appleologist :

Yay!

Appleologist :

Ok that takes care of that one. What other concerns or issues can I assist you with today

Customer:

It seems that now I can share screens and it partly solves my problem.

Appleologist :

Did you also need to share documents too?

Customer:

Yes, I need to share documents, too.

Appleologist :

You have a few options. You can either use air drop. In finder you will notice air drop in the left sidebar. You can simply drag and drop. Your other option is to save all of your documents to icloud which will make it accessible on any machine

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the problem

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Customer:

Thanks a lot, have a nice time, too.

Appleologist :

Thank You :)