Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Mail keeps asking for but refusing my BT Yahoo password. BT

Mail keeps asking for but...
Mail keeps asking for but refusing my BT Yahoo password. BT confirm that all is correct with my account at their end and suggest that there is a software glitch on my pc.
3/13/2013
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

OS X LION 10.7.5

First we can reset the Preferences of Mail application. Close Mail. Then on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder. Trash the file named com.apple.mail.plist file. Don't empty the trash.

After deleting the file, open Mail. You will be greeted to setup your Mailbox again, so setup it again. But you won't lose anything from your Mail application. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

I have deleted apple.mail.plist and reopened Mail - got a screen which is blank except "No Mailbox selected'. How do I set up Account again please? (You will have noticed that I am not very technical!!)

Click on File menu and select Add Account. Then follow the onscreen instructions to add the account.

When setting up, if asked for Incoming Server details, use the following settings;
  • Select 'POP' as the Account Type.
  • Make sure Incoming Mail Server is set to mail.btinternet.com
  • Make sure your User Name (the same as your email address) is correct.

In the Incoming Mail Security window, leave the box next to 'Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)' unchecked.

On the Outgoing Mail Server window, make sure the Outgoing Mail Server is set as mail.btinternet.com and the box next to 'Use Authentication' should be ticked.

The User Name and Password XXXXX your BT Yahoo! email address and password.

In the Outgoing Mail Security window, leave the box next to 'Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)' unchecked.

Please let me know how it goes.

I am trying to set up account. it is asking for a password XXXXX will not accept whatever I put in. What am I doing wrong?

Are you 100% sure the password XXXXX XXXXX ?

Goto here and can you sign into the webmail ? --> www.bt.yahoo.com/webmail

Yes - the password XXXXX me into btyahoo OK. When I enter it into the new account screen it comes back "The Account btopenworld already has this name and username" and will not let me "continue".

Are all your emails are there on the website ?

Can we delete the old mailbox from your Mail application and create new one ? This will delete all ole emails downloaded to your Mac Mail

Yes, all my emails are on Yahoo site. How do I proceed from here?

Great ! They will be downloaded back when you setup it again. It is possible that the existing mailbox got glitched. Open Mail, click on Mail menu and select Preferences. In Preferences, under Accounts, you can see all your email accounts there. Select your BT account and click the - icon in the bottom left. That will remove the account. Then click the + button to add it back. Please let me know how it goes.

Done that but still get blank screen with "no mailbox selected" tried a few things but nothing happening. Am I being thick?

Thats strange. When you add it, does it showed any errors or does it completed without any errors ? Also goto Preferences > Accounts and how many accounts can you see there, in the list ?

Apologies. I hav found the mailboxes and all new emails have safely arrived. Appears the problem is solved. What was the basic problem so that I will know should it re-occur? Anyway, thanks for your help. Brilliant!

Mike, I'm glad you got it worked. It is a common problem with all applications. Sometimes they will be glitched. We just deleted the corrupted mailbox and created a new one. It is a rare problem, if it happens again you can follow the same steps.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician

The problem we resolved yesterday has re-occurred and every time I reinstate the account the problem re-occurs. Now I cannot send any emails at all and can only receive by going onto the btyahoo site. There is obviously a deeper corruption. Can you suggest what I should do?

Hi Mike,
Yes. We can remove every single files related to main and reinstate the account.

Quit Mail and goto Macintosh HD/Library/Mail/ folder and move the Bundles folder to desktop.

Then trash the com.apple.mail.plist file again, like you did yesterday.

Then open Mail, click on Mail > Preferences. Under Accounts, delete your email account. Close and restart Mail.

Then add the account back from Mail > Preferences. Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Being stupid again! Cannot findMail in Macintosh HD/Library. How do I find it?

It is supposed to be there. Are you sure you can't find it. Open your hard disk. Open Libary folder in there. Open Application Support and can you find Mail there ?

We can also reset the Keychain Database of your Mac

1. Goto Applications/Utilities/ and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
  6. Restart your computer.

Please let me know how it goes.
Hi Mike,
After resetting te Keychain, delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Preferences folder.

Then hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Application Support folder and if you can see Mail folder there, then trash it. Restart Mail and add the account back. Did that work ?

I am really struggling here! I am trying to reset keychain - I go to Applications/Utilities/Keychain/Preferences and click "Reset My Default Keychain" and I am asked for my login password. Is that the same as my account password XXXXX my Apple ID password? I don't think I have any others. I really am hopeless with computers!!

No, that is your login password XXXXX the adiministrator password XXXXX use to install apps, updates etc

Sometimes Keychain application will mess up your accounts and resetting will fix it.

OK - got through that process and reset keychain. I immediately received new emails so that seems to be working - but I cannot send any. I get a screen headed "Cannot send message using the server btopenworld.com" It lists 2 servers -btopenworld.com (Offline) and btopenworld.com but neither will Send. I tried the Connection Doctor and it showed "Connection Status - Mail was able to connect to internet" - then 3 items:

(Green) btopenworld.com Yahoo IMAP connecting to server...

(Red) btopenworld.com SMTP Trying to log to this SMTP account failed

(Green) btopenworld.com SMTP Connection to server successful. login not required.

Any ideas on that?

I have not gone through the process of moving Bundles to the desktop that you mentioned because I still cannot locate Mail in Macintosh HD. Should I still go with that and, if so, How to I locate Mail - you say open the hard disk but I have no idea how to do that (-useless!!)

Well, lets change the SMTP server to this one : mail.btinternet.com

1. Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  3. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  4. Click the Account Information pane.
  5. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
  6. Click on Advanced tab.
  7. Change the Outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com
  8. Change the port to 587
  9. If Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is checked, uncheck it.
  10. Close it.
  11. Restart Mail. Click on Mailbox menu and select Take All Accounts Online
  12. Try to send one.

Ignore the 'bundles' part. We can try that later if nothing is working. Please let me know if it still showing error.

Not getting on well. Have tried to change Outgoing server but unsure what exactly to change. The server name was smtp.nail.yahoo.com which I change ti smtp.mail.btinternet.com and changed the port to Custom 587 but nothing has happened. Have I done it right? I still get "Cannot send message using server btopenworld.com" and the server list still shows btopenworld.com (Offline). I have restarted Mail but the Mailbox select "Take all Accounts Online" does not light up. Where to now?

Don't change it to smtp.mail.btinternet.com but to only mail.btinternet.com ?

If that didn't work then can you delete the account again from Mail > Preferences and add it back one more time ?

OK have done that - deleted Outgoing Mail Server to mail.btinternet.com - closed Mail then re-opened it but Mailbox still won't light up Take All Accounts Online and still won't send messages.

Try this one more time. Open Mail, click on Mail menu and select Preferences. In Preferences, under Accounts, you can see all your email accounts there. Select your BT account and click the - icon in the bottom left. That will remove the account. Then click the + button to add it back.

Did that work ?

No - receiving but still will not send. I obviously have got the account set up wrongly.

No - receiving but still will not send. I have obviously set up the account wrongly.

Hope its not a glitch on their end. Lets check it again. Delete the account from Mail.
Then delete the com.apple.mail.plist file.

Open Mail, click File > Add Account. Setup your account.

• Select 'POP' as the Account Type.

If you are still getting the error, then we can try Mail in a different test account. That should help us to isolate the problem

This is making me nervous! Can I confirm that to delete the account I go Mail/Preferences/Account then highlight account name at top left; then, when setting up a new account, I replace Incoming Mail Server, currently "imap.mail.yahoo.com" with "mail.btinternet.com"? Will all the mail info currently on the btyahoo site still be available to me?

I know it is very frustrating process. All the mails are safe on the server. You can check it by logging into the webmail.

Both addresses are correct. First continue with imap.mail.yahoo.com and if that didn't work, we can try mail.btinternet.com

Make sure 'Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)' unchecked there. Continue setting up it. Hit Next and what is the Outgoing server there ?
Hi Mike, How is it going ?

This is indeed frustrating. I do as set out above - delete my account; trash com.apple.mail.plist; open mail and check there is no account; select add account and all the old account information is already there. What am I doing wrong? And still won't SEND.

You are doing nothing wrong. Every settings are correct. Can you send mail from webmail ?

When you say webmail do you mean from the yahoo website? I don't think I can.

Yes, from Yahoo. From here : http://www.bt.yahoo.com/webmail

Login to there and send a mail to youserlf. Any errors from there ?

Yes - sent one and received it immediately.

Ok. The Sever is fine. Close Mail. Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Can you see a Mail folder there ?

Yes - got that

Trash it. Let me know..

OK -done

Delete the com.apple.mail.plist one more time please

OK

Now open Mail. What does it show on the screen ?

Opened up Mail , signed in and then it told me it has renamed `outbox to Delivered

Open Mail > Preferences and do you see any accounts in there ?

Yes - btopenworld.Yahoo.IMap

Select it, press the - icon to delete. Let me know...
Select it, click the - button to delete it. Let me know...

OK deleted

Now, could you please setup your account by following the instructions in this article : http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9960/~/setting-up-bt-yahoo!-mail-on-mail-for-mac-osx ?

I have followed the steps set out in the article but when I get to Add Account and press CREATE all the account details are already there - it doesn't take me to the steps of defining the Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers.. It doesn't get to the Account Summary screen with the action to Create from there, Also the only opportunity to untick the SSL option is to do it on the Advanced screen (which changes the port number). Is this right?

It is supposed to show those options. Goto Advanced screen and uncheck SSL. Now, run Connection Doctor. Any errors ?

Unchecked SSL. Where is Connection Doctor? Had it earlier - now I can't find it!

It is in the Window menu. Can't you find it ?

Found it. Says -btopenworld.com STMP Connection succeeded btopenworld.com Yahoo IMAP Trying to log in to this Yahoo IMAP failed. Verify username and password

• Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  • Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  • Select your account
  • Click the Account Information pane.
  • From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
  • Click on Advanced tab.
  •  

What is your SMTP server there ? And port also ?

smtp.mail.yahoo.com. use default ports (25, 465, 587)

Everything seems correct. Send one mail to your account and see if you are getting error

Nothing happens. No SENT swoosh sound and nothing in the SENT box. No trace of it.

Change the outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com

Change port to 25

Retype user name to your email address (including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part)
    Change Password XXXXX Your BT Yahoo! password.

Close it and restart Mail. Run Connection Doctor.

Mike, I just checked on my Mac and found that Mail is creating the settings automatically which we don't want.

So what you want to do is, goto Mail > Preferences and delete the exisiting account there. Then click the + icon, enter your full name, email address and password. Don't click Create button. Insread this time hold down the Option key on your Keyboard and that will change the Create button to Continue button. Now, can you follow the instructions in this article : http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9960/~/setting-up-bt-yahoo!-mail-on-mail-for-mac-osx

I hope that will work. Please keep me updated with the results Mike

I have followed all the required steps but still cannot send mail. It seems I now have 2 accounts - btopenworld yahoo IMAP and btopenworld yahoo POP (which will not connect and asked to check server accepts connection on Port 993.

Delete the btopenworld yahoo IMAP. Btopenworld yahoo POP is the one we need. Lets verify some settings

1. Goto Mail > Preferences
    2. Select your btopenworld yahoo POP account on the left side of the window
    3. Click the Account Information pane.
    4. Make sure the Incoming Mail Server is set to mail.btinternet.com
    5. Change incoming port to 110 (Incoming port is under Advanced tab in that same window)
    6. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
    7. Click on Advanced tab.
    8. Change the Outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com
    9. Change the portto 25
    10. Disable SSL for both Incoming and Outgoing
    11. Close it.
    12. Restart Mail. Run Connection Doctor

Done all that.Connection to Yahoo POP and SMTP both successful. BUT STILL WILL NOT SEND MAIL! Funnily enough, when I was waiting for your last response, I was playing about trying to send something and, at that stage aI had a choice of 2 outgoing servers - mail. btinternet.com and btopenworld.com (offline) and the latter successfully sent some messages. Now, I only have the mail.btinternet.com and it won't send. Weird!

I'm getting out of ideas. It should send since the connection is successfull. We are using the same outgoing server. Could you please restart Mail and then send again ?

It won't send. Message is "Cannot send message using the server mail.btinternet.com. The sender address [email protected] was rejected by the server mail.btinternet.com." Any ideas why they were sent successfully from btopenworld.com (offline)?

Also, another question: i have lost anumber of sub mail boxes from "On My Mac" and all their stored emails. Can I safely try to reinstate them from Time Machine?

Yes you can or you can move the trashed Mail folder from the Trash back to the Library folder. Close Mail before moving it back.

No Idea. According to BT, the correct SMTP Server is mail.btinternet.com

Can you try these two Outgoing servers too ?

smtp.btconnect.com

mail.btopenworld.com

How strange - I put in the 2 servers you requested and ,without prompting, btopenworld.com(offline) also reappeared. Tried to send with all of them and the only one that worked was btopenworld.com (Offline)!!! So I will continue to use that for "sending" and hope it continues to work.

I will try to reinstate the other mailboxes and will let you know if I have any problems. In the meantime thanks again for your help and, particularly, your patience with an old and computer illiterate buffoon!

No Problem Mike. Yes, it is very strange. BT suggests to use mail.btinternet.com as server. I believe btopenworld.com was an old server of BT. But I'm glad that worked for you.

Make sure you are receiving emails too.

You can move the Mail folder back to the Library where you deleted it in the first place. After moving it back, you probably have to reinstate the account again.

Hi Mike,
    It is very late here (almost 2:00AM IST) and very tired. I have to get some sleep. If you didn't hear from me when you reply back to me, don't feel that I abandoned you. Just post a reply back here and I will get back to you tomorrow ASAP.

Best Regards,

Unfortunately I am now more confused than ever and I do not know which accounts and/or servers I should be using - not your fault; it is my inability to understand what to do. So I an taking the computer into my Apple Store and have a Genius Bar appointment to get them to reset Mail as it originally was.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

Regards

Hi Mike,
    Sorry for the delay. You have to use the server mail.btopenworld.com

I'll help you with that. Were you able to restore your Mailboxes back ? If so, just change the outgoing server to mail.btopenworld.com

I'm still happy to continue to help you with your problem. Let me know....

Best Regards,
    Hi there,
    It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,

Hi Ashik

I have taken my computer to an Apple Store and they have fixed the problem so that my email is now working correctly. I showed them a transcript of the advise you gave me and I have to say that they did not entirely agree with all of the advise you gave. I am not technically clever enough to understand which pieces of advise they disagreed with or why so I cannot comment any further on it. Anyway, thank you for trying. In my naivety, I did not fully appreciate that your service was not a fully Apple accredited service so I guess that, for the future, I must take Apple's advise and only deal directly with them. Thanks again for your time.

Hi Mike,
    Not sure which part they disagreed with. But I can say that my answer is not wrong. No other apple qualified expert in here disagree with my answer here. I have helped many clients to fix their problem like yours. Troubleshooting from Internet is very hard. I have to walk you through all steps since I couldn't get my hands on it. So it will take time and effort to get to the root of the problem. I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. We were almost fixed it and you given up before we fix it.

I'm glad you got it sorted it out.

FYI JustAnswer is not a service by Apple. This is a online pay site not affilated with Apple or other companies. If you just take a sec to look into my profile, you can see that I've solved Mac problems of more than 5k customers. Thanks for understanding.

Have a great day Mike,
    Ashik, Mac Technician