Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Question about iTunes Sync]: --------------------------------- Hi, Could

Question about iTunes Sync]: --------------------------------- Hi, Could you...
Question about iTunes Sync]:
---------------------------------

Could you tell me - when you do an iphone / ipad sync (with the newest itunes version / Win7), does ALL of your info/data sync to the computer? I'm talking about even metadata; geo-info on the pics; etc..

In other words, I have an iPhone(4S)/32GB - FULL (almost literally) of files (photos, apps with lots of data, music, books, etc.), and just got a new iphone(5)/64GB (They both have been upgraded to the most recent iOs update):

(1) If I do a FULL-SYNC from the ('4S'), and then, (via iTunes), transfer THAT full-sync into the ('5'), will it make the ('5') 100% identical to the ('4s')?
(old SMS/texts; notepad; Address Book; Safari History/Bookmarks/Bookmarklets; Desktop Bookmarks; Calendar; Alarms; even metadata, desktop background, app-folders with names that I had named them, even my 'Settings' Configuration, etc., etc..)?

(2) What about even all of my downloaded (free and paid) apps from the 4S, and THEIR data (like game points built up; "download-browser's" downloads WITHIN each app; such as other browsers' History/Bookmarks; Word Document apps - still containing all of the docs that I've written; bought calendar apps' events, etc..)?

I mean, will it be an exact, 100% clone? Can you think of ANYTHING that might NOT sync over?

Thank you very much
3/3/2013
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Thank you for the question. The iTunes backup does not include data synched to the device, like apps/movies/music. It will back up everything else (ie - camera roll, messages, all settings, data stored on your iPhone like documents and application data. Here is a complete list of what is included in your backup:

• Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
  • App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
  • Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
  • Autofill for webpages.
  • CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
  • Calendar accounts.
  • Calendar events.
  • Call history.
  • Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
    Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
  • Game Center account.
  • Home screen arrangement.
  • In-app purchases.
  • Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
  • List of External Sync Sources (MobileMe, Exchange ActiveSync).
  • Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
  • Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
  • Installed Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, installed configuration profiles are not restored (such as accounts, restrictions, or anything which can be specified through an installed profile.) Any accounts or settings that are not associated with an installed profile will still be restored.
  • Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
  • Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
  • Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
  • Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
  • Notes.
  • Offline web application cache/database.
  • Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
  • Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
  • Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
  • Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
  • Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
  • Voice memos.
  • Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
  • Wallpapers.
  • Web clips.
  • YouTube bookmarks and history.

* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

Reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!
Thank you very much.. If I could just ask you 1 quick follow-up, and then I'll rate you:

Like I said, I just bought this new iphone 5, and am ready to transfer all of my '4S' data over to it..

My question is, since getting the NEW "i5", I haven't downloaded any apps, or set it up to be my actual (working) phone - BUT...
I have, (with the 'i5'):
- Configured the settings
- Taken a good many photos/videos
- Surfed the net with Safari (via WiFi)
- Saved bookmarks/bookmarklets in Safari
- Saved Safari bookmarks on Desktop
- Made a few Calendar Events
- Made a few new Contacts
- Made several notes in Notepad
- Put up new wallpaper

So, my question is:

(1) When I import the FULL-SYNC from the i4S to the iPhone5, will I:

a) Lose everything that I've done on the i5, (Will the i4S sync overwrite the pics, notes, vids, bkmks, history, desktop shortcuts, notes, contacts, etc.. that I've done on the iphone5)?

-or-

b) Will I lose the ("corresponding") data in the 4S-Sync (Would the 'i5' data already ON the phone overwrite the synced '4S' data that I just imported?)

-or-

c) Would everything in the 4S's FULL-SYNC just MERGE with what I have on the 'i5'?

*[ If it DOES "merge", though, say I have a Safari Bookmark folder in BOTH the '4S' and the '5', and both are named "Cars."
The '4S' has 7 bookmarks in its' 'Cars' folder; the 'i5' has 3 bookmarks in its' "Cars" folder.
'Who' overwrites 'who'?
Do I end up with 7 bookmarks, 3 bookmarks, 4 bookmarks, or 10 bookmarks?
(And to make it as "difficult as I can" on you, what if BOTH 'Cars' folders - the one on the 4S-Sync, AND the one on the iphone5, have an identical bookmark in it, a bookmark named "1967 Cars", with identical URL's? Would it keep 0, keep 1, or keep both and put (a) and (b) after them?)
- also... the bookmarks are both in identically named folders.]

Basically, would ANYTHING from EITHER 'overwrite' ANYTHING from the OTHER??

Thank you very much.
Thanks for the reply. If you restore the backup from your 4S to your iPhone 5, you will lose all the data configured already on the iPhone 5 (ie - it is not merged/appended).

Going forward, the best way for backing up data is to take iCloud backups and restore that data to a new/replacement device. With iCloud backups, you get a full snapshot of the phone that includes all apps/pictures/data/contacts. The iCloud backups get taken nightly whenever your phone is connected to a power source and connected to WiFi. If you just want to restore your contacts from the 4S, you can enable iCloud on the 4S, then enable iCloud on your iPhone 5 to restore your contacts and any other data you enable from iCloud (ie - Notes, Bookmarks, Documents, etc..).
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer