David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

my macbook pro retina says that my volume is blockes, a little

Customer Question

my macbook pro retina says that my volume is blockes, a little circle with a line across it, how do i get my volume to work again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Have you tried accessing Startup manager, to see what is detected or not detected?

Hold down Option (Alt) at startup for Startup Manager, and let me know what disks you see.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see two discs, one says macintosh hd, and the other, restart hd

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Chose the Recovery HD, and an options screen will load.

Then choose Disk Utility in the options list.

In Disk Utility; click Macintosh HD, and click Repair Permissions.

When that is done, click Repair Disk.

After that, quit Disk Utility, and choose startup disk as Macintosh HD.

If the issue remains, reboot to Recovery Disk again, using the Option key at boot. Then in Disk Utility, select the item just above Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk. Try again with normal startup.

If this fails, hold Command - V at startup, and give me the last few lines of text that appear.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried the first two things, they didnt work, but each time i restart and press command V it goes to quick to see what is written in black and white, so how long should i hold down the two keys for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried to the first two, they didnt work, but how lonh should i hold down the command and v for?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

It would help if it froze on the text, it might give a clue. It isn't and we can't do anything about that.

Did the Disk Utility give you an error message?

What did it say specifically?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there are like 40 lines, how many do you need?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Just if the error cam from Repair Disk, or Repair Permissions, and the last 2 or three lines.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the last 3 lines :'

Previous Shutdown Cause: 5

NVDAGK 1OOHAL loaded and registred.

vDSMOS has arrived

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvmacx_swapon SUCCESS'

is this helpful?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

yes, but is it what you see at startup, or is it the error you get from Disk Utility?

Where do you copy that error from?

Thanks

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i startup, i press command V and it goes directly to there, then after a few seconds, it logs me back in automatically.

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

So you can login now, is that correct?

Also, did you run Disk Utility? And did it give you errors or an error, and if so what did they say?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i pressed repairing permissions on disk utility it said:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane”

Permissions differ on “Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin”

Permissions repair complete

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

What about when clicking 'Repair Disk'?

Did you say it was possible to login after doing that?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi Clemente,

It was late here in Ireland, I only see your reply today.

That is good, that means repairing the startup volume, using Disk Utility, repaired the corruption of whatever startup files became corrupt.

Now that you can login, you should do some follow up maintenance. This will confirm the issue is resolved, and repair any problems that still remain.

When you are at your Desktop, click the  in the top left, and click Software Update.

When it searches, if it finds anything install it.

Once updates are installed, and it finds no new updates, open /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Disk Utility again.

Select Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk. When it finishes, please click Repair Permissions.

This should see your issue totally resolved. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.