Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My iMac with OS X 10.8.2 drops the Wi-Fi connection frequently

when the internet is idle...
My iMac with OS X 10.8.2 drops the Wi-Fi connection frequently when the internet is idle. Also, during start-up the Wi-Fi connection does not connect automatically. This problem arose recently, following an O.S. X update. Previously, I did not experience this problem. I am fairly well versed with Apple system s and setup and everything seem to be set correctly.
3/2/2013
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist

Thank you for asking your question today.

I'm sorry to hear about your WIFI issues. I'm assuming that this is the only device that is having WIFI issues in the house. Has there been any environmental changes that could cause interference? Or did it just happen right after the update? Sometimes, cordless phones, microwaves, a neighboring WIFi network can get in the way. In situations like that, I like to go into the router and change the channel (frequency) it's operating on. Sometimes you need to pick and choose until you find a good fit.

Another thing you can try is changing the MTU setting on your WIFI adapter in your iMac. Go to System Preferences > Network > select Wi-Fi > click the Advanced button > and select the Hardware tab. From here, change Configure: to Manual, change MTU to Custom, and then make it 1400. Press Ok and then Apply to save the changes. Afterwards, reboot your computer to see if the problem has been resolved.

If that does not work, try deleting your saved WIFI profile by going to System Preferences > Network > select Wi-Fi > click the Advanced button > highlight the network name > press the - (minus) button > click OK > click Apply to save changes. Afterwards, try reconnecting your wireless network.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to rate/accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

Unfortunately, the suggestions have not resolved the problem that I am experiencing. I also have an iPad 2 which does not have any problems with the same Wi-F- connection. From the internet it appears that a fair number of people are having the same problem since doing the latest OS X Mountain Lion update.

So this all happened right after the update? Does your router broadcast on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Another suggestion would be to switch to the other one.
You could always try installing the full 10.8.2 combo update.

LINK

When it installs through Software Update, it looks at your system and picks and chooses the components to update.

The router is fixed on 2,4 GHz as this is the legal frequency in my area. I have already don the update to 10.8.2.

I know you've already installed the update, but reinstalling the update might help. There is a difference between the link I provided and the update from the software update service. It's just another suggestion. There have been WIFI problems since Lion, so I'm just tossing out things that have resolved this in the past.
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist

Have done the 10.8.2 (combo) update as suggested without success, with one difference; I now get a message "None of your preferred networks are available", after restarting or rebooting the computer. However, in settings my network is clearly indicated as the preferred network.

Can you go back and remove your network from the "preferred networks' list and rejoin?

Have tried this, but still no luck.

Did this,but could only connect (rejoin) after new setup was done.

I've been thinking about some other solutions. You could think about buying a USB WIFI adapter like the one below:

http://amzn.com/B003283M6Q

The drivers for it can be found here:

http://www.pandawireless.us/

It might be more reliable and get you to the next software update where Apple might address this problem.

I have previously tried the USB Wi-Fi route with the same results. I will probably just have to wait for Apple to come with an update that solves the problem. apple support does not seem very interested in this problem.

Toby K.
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist