Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi my iphoto doesnt open but it just sits on loading which

Hi my iphoto doesn't open...
Hi my iphoto doesn't open but it just sits on loading which i then go to "force quit" which then tell me to report or ignore the problem. i have reported that way a week ago and still have no answer on how to fix my iphoto.
PLEASE HELP
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. What operating system are you running? To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Please read me the version number

Customer: Hi Michelle & thank you.
Customer: Hi Michelle, and thank you.
Appleologist :

Hello, were you able to see my previous instructions about what operating system that you are running

Appleologist :

So I can guide to you the best solution, I will need to know what operating system you are running

Appleologist :

Are you still there>

Appleologist :

?

Customer: Mac OS X 10.6.8
Customer: Hi Michelle,
Appleologist :

Ok great. We are going to firs try to reset iphoto and if that does not resolve the issue, we will try to rebuild your database. To do this, open finder by clicking on the smily face icon in the dock

Appleologist :

In Finder, you will see your account home folder in the left column. Go ahead and click on it

Appleologist :

Within your account folder in finder, click on Library

Appleologist :

Hi I am not sure if you are able to see my responses. It seems to take an extended time before I get a response back from you

Customer: Michelle sorry I have to get off for a few hours. Can I contact when I get back pls ?
Appleologist :

Sure

Appleologist :

Right now it is 7:12pm Eastern time. If we are unable to communicate later on, I will leave instructions for you to follow

Appleologist :

Hi, I see you are still offline. Here are instructions to resolve your issue.
1.Open finder by clicking on the smily face icon in the dock. In the top menu, Choose Go then click on Home. (Go is in the very top menu to the right of the apple logo) If you can not find your home folder, it should also be in the left column within the finder window.
2. Within your home folder, choose Library
3. Within the Library folder, Choose Preferences
4. Within the preference folder, locate and delete "com.apple.iPhoto.plist"
Try to open iphoto again

Appleologist :

To delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist, just drag it to the trash

Appleologist :

If that does not resolve your issue, force quit iphoto and follow theses instructions
1. Press and hold Command+Option+shift Key at the same time while launching iphoto until you get a dialogue box
2. If done correctly, you will get a dialogue box with options. Choose Repair database.
3. If it still freezes, press the 3key combination while launching iphoto and choose repair permissions
4. If it still freezes, choose rebuild database

Appleologist :

It is 10:19pm my time so I will be offline until tomorrow. Best of luck

Customer: Hi
Appleologist :

Hello Good Morning

Appleologist :

Were you able to try any of the above instructions?

Appleologist :

Are you still there?

Customer: Morning
Appleologist :

Hi Good Morning

Customer: Yes I've carefully completed all that you have instructed but still with no luck at all
Appleologist :

Did iphoto allow you to initiate the rebuild process?

Customer: Not at all
Appleologist :

So you did not get the dialogue box asking you to rebuild?

Customer: Once again it just continued to fall into the loading mode
Appleologist :

Ok, it sounds like you may have not initiate the rebuild process correctly. Before we delete iphoto and re-install lets try it again. Is iphoto currently open?

Customer: Yes the box did appear but after all my attempt with all options that the box gave me, it ended once again with a continuous loading
Appleologist :

OK good. Thanks for the additional info. Can you open your app store

Appleologist :

If it is not on the dock, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in app store

Customer: Ok will do that now
Appleologist :

Type in iphoto in the search box

Appleologist :

Does it say install or is there a price

Customer: Sorry just had to turn my mac on
Appleologist :

Its ok, let me know when you find iphoto in the app store

Customer: There's a price on it
Appleologist :

Ok so we will not delete it then. It sounds like your library is corrupted so we will need to create a new one. Roughly how many photos do you have

Customer: I'm guessing I haven't deleted correctly cos if so it wouldn't have a price on it hey ? It would say installed ?
Customer: 3000 pic, I think
Appleologist :

Thats a good chunk. Before we create a new library, can you click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. What updates are available?

Customer: Ok checking now
Appleologist :

Ok

Customer: Java
Appleologist :

Ok thats not your issue. So it looks like we will need to create a new library. Non of your photos will be lost however, you will need to re-organize your albums again

Customer: That's cool. I'm a patient person.
Appleologist :

Great, lets get started. First we will need to create the new library. If iphoto is open, close it. Now open it again while pressing and holding the option key. Choose create new and name it iphotoNew

Customer: Ok let me try that
Appleologist :

After creating the new library, you should have a blank library

Customer: Yep I do
Appleologist :

Ok great. Now close it and re-open it just to make sure it does not freeze before we transfer your photos

Customer: Ok. Doing it now
Appleologist :

ok

Customer: No freezing at all.
Appleologist :

Ok great so we know for sure the issue was with your old library. Keep iphoto open and open your finder window (click on the happy face icon in the dock) In the left sidebar in finder, do you see a pictures folder?

Customer: Yes I do
Appleologist :

Click on pictures, you should then see iphoto library

Customer: Yep I do also the new one too
Appleologist :

Ok great. Right click on the old one or press the control key while clicking on the old iphoto library. Choose show package contents

Customer: Done
Appleologist :

Scroll down to the bottom. You should see a Masters folder or an Original folder

Customer: Yep originals folder
Appleologist :

Ok now drag the entire original folder and drop it into the newly created blank iphoto screen. If done correctly, you should see your photos importing. This process should take about 20 mins

Customer: Ok doing that now.
Appleologist :

Great. I will stand by while it is importing. Let me know when it is done

Customer: Ok sorry I was wrong there is over 5,000 pics
Appleologist :

Ha ha.. Thats fine

Customer: I'm guessing that's not normal ?
Customer: Even though I'm not I'm just gonna say I'm a photographer haha
Appleologist :

No thats normal. Depending on how long you have been keeping your pictures, you can accumulate anywhere from 3,000-10,000photos......or you can say you are a photographer :)

Appleologist :

While its importing, it looks like your life is flashing before your eyes

Customer: Yeah I think keeping up my fabricated story that I'm a photographer sounds more comforting to me lol
Appleologist :

Lol!! Thats your story and your are sticking to it

Customer: Do true!!!! All those bloody pics I thought I deleted have all come back to life lol
Appleologist :

Well luckily you are a patient photographer, so organizing it again should be a breeze

Customer: Hahahaha your a quick one lol. New I would be regretting say all that lol. Thank u for reminding me hahaha
Appleologist :

Ha ha.. Thats what I am here for :)

Customer: Hahaha bet u r lol. This is what my $69 gets me aye hahaha a reminder of all things I shouldn't have said hahaha
Customer: FYI looking good so far we are half way done lol OH LORD!! Lol
Appleologist :

Thats good. When it is done importing, quit iphoto and then re-open it. (fingers crossed that it does not freeze)

Customer: I think Im gonna need more than that crossed with my luck lol
Customer: So where r u? What country u in n what time is it there?
Appleologist :

I am in New York.. Its snowing and its 10:27am. I love when it snows

Customer: Oooooh wow. I love NYC n I love the snow
Customer: What's your name ?
Appleologist :

Michelle.. It should be visible in the intro. I'm sorry if you missed it

Customer: Ooooooops ma bad. Yep it was. Ooooops
Appleologist :

Lol its ok

Customer: Is it to forward to ask for your personal email address just to get to know you little more away from apple issues ? Haha
Appleologist :

Policy and site violations permits the exchange of personal email addresses. However, if you have further issues, you can reach me directly here http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/

Customer: Thank you for that michelle. Can you please get someone from your company to email [email protected] so I can send an amazing review about the service provided please ?
Appleologist :

You are so welcome! I am glad I could be of assistance. When were are done, you will need to rate the chat anyway so you can express yourself that way. Also, as mentioned, the site does block email addresses so this is how I see it. Refer to the picture

Full Size Image

Customer: Well here it is the first letter of every word ok. Vthanks Oagain Lfor Iall .your Mhelp Vi'm @ Ghoping Meverything Ashould Ibe Lgoof. Hope you got that lol
Appleologist :

Ha ha you are very cleaver

Appleologist :

Have your photos finished importing

Customer: Hahaha well not really I'm a patient photographer lol remember ?
Customer: 700 left
Appleologist :

Lol Oh yea. Thank you for reminding me

Appleologist :

Wow that was faster than I though

Customer: That's what I'm here for :P
Customer: It's 2:53 am here and I just got back from my gig n can not wait to sleep. Haha thought u might want to know lol
Customer: what u get up to last night ?
Appleologist :

Omg! I had not idea it was so late. We are almost done I promise

Appleologist :

Your question was asked on the 1st, it took you years to respond lol

Appleologist :

We would have been done decade ago

Customer: michelle it's all good. I don't work tomorrow cos it's Saturday so I'm just gonna sleep in. So it's cool. Thanks for caring tho
Appleologist :

You are soooooo welcome :)

Customer: Your funny Mitchelle
Appleologist :

I try to make this processes as easy as possible.

Customer: well u do that really well. Random question Michelle but do you go to church ?
Appleologist :

Ofcourse

Customer: oh cool. Which one do u attend ?
Customer: cos my Chrurch has started one there in NYC
Appleologist :

For security reasons (Not that I think you are a treat..You seem sooooo friendly) JustAnswer does not permit us to share personal details and I could be removed from the site if I breach my agreement.

Appleologist :

I hope you can understand

Customer: of cos I do. I'm really sorry to put u in that situation. Ill stay away from asking personal questions. Ma bad.
Customer: 460 left
Appleologist :

Thank you for understanding, I really appreciate it.

Appleologist :

Almost there

Customer: ok fav all time church song? Sure that's not personal right ? Haha
Appleologist :

No thats not to personal at all. I have a few faves Your Grace Is Enough and Forever Reign

Customer: mine is Fred Hammond , No weapn
Customer: 65 left
Appleologist :

There are sooooo many church songs you will never get tired of hearing them

Customer: 35 now
Appleologist :

Its getting faster and faster

Customer: true that!!
Customer: Finishing exporting it says
Customer: inporting I meant lol
Appleologist :

Great. now close iphoto and re-open it

Appleologist :

Does it still freeze

Customer: It's not freezing Michelle. THANK YOU SO MUCH
Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Thank you for your patience and get some sleep!

Appleologist :

Again, after rating and closing the chat, you can reach me directly here should you need assistance in the future http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.

Customer: thank you again. Best $69 I spent. Thank u
Appleologist :

Ha ha.. Thank you

Customer: thank you. And you know to reach me :)
Appleologist :

Get some sleep!

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician