Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to burn photos off iphoto unto a dvd-R. My computer

keeps spitting it out. I...
I am trying to burn photos off iphoto unto a dvd-R. My computer keeps spitting it out. I tried burning to a regular cd but was told by computer that it wouldn't hold the 266 photos I want to burn. What can I do?
2/26/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Based on what you have told me it could be a bad disk, I have had many of those. Have you tried more than one?
Which version of OS X is on the iMac? Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.
graphic
What brand of DVD media is it?

I installed Snow Leopard a year ago. I have not tried another dvd disk but can try it now. They are memorex brand. Maybe I am doing it wrong. Should I go to iphoto and then add the dvd or do I put dvd in first?

First, iPhoto will only burn a DVD that is useable by iPhoto.
If you want a disk that can be used in any other way you need to use the Finder.
graphic

What is the end goal?

What kind of DVD is useable by iphoto? I want to put photos from a trip I took unto a DVD so I can show them on a television.

Bonnie, like I said, a DVD burnt by iPhoto can only be used by iPhoto, not a TV.

But what you do want is maybe a slideshow with the photos that can be played in any DVD player.
Is that what you would like?

Yes - I think so.

Ok, I can help with that.
First, select the event you want to make it from.
graphic
Here is the link shown above.
It will show you how it is done.
For more detail Use the Help in the menu bar for iPhoto.
graphic
It will open to this.
graphic
You can click number 6 (pictured above).
For more detail click on Browse Help.
graphic
Then look at Share Digitally.
graphic
It will show you step by step better than I typing it in, faster too.

Then when it is all to your liking send it to iDVD (if you have that, Apple quit having that as part of the iLife suite).
It can be found as part of iLife 09.

Since you have Snow Leopard then iDVD may be in the Applications folder, looks like this.
graphic

Look that over and let me know if you have any questions, please take your time, it is a lot to take it quickly.

ok Daniel. I have tried to do this reading the help section and can't get it to work. I do have IDVD and tried doing that earlier but the the computer spits out the DVD before I can do anything. I will try doing this again following your instructions and let you know what happens. If you can't already tell, I am very technically challenged. Thanks for your help so far.

So you have it in iDVD and are ready to burn, correct?
If so I suggest that instead of trying to burn make an img. This is a disk image that is burnable at a lter date and you can make multiple copies if you desire.
Select that from the File drop down menu, the very bottom.
graphic

Then use Disk Utility to burn it. I do that because I do not want to go through the whole process more than once.
Then try a different DVD, it could very well be the disk that is bad.

Daniel, Mac Genius

This is what I have done so far since trying your direction. I went to iphotos and made a slideshow of my album. Then I went to export and it is exporting right now. To where I don't know. When it is finished exporting I will put it on idvd - right?

It did not give you a choice on where to save it?

It should have opened a window like this.

Notice it will automatically send to iTunes if that is checked.

It did not show me that window. I am now hoping it is saving to idvd. I will let you know when it is finished.

Then what did you do to export?
Where did you select the export option?
Daniel, Mac Genius