Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Macbook Air, and my charger works sometimes and other

times it won't work. If...
I have a Macbook Air, and my charger works sometimes and other times it won't work. If I use my old Macbook pro charger it works every time. Do you know how to fix without having to buy another charger?
2/19/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The answer to that is no, the cord is separated somewhere and that is why it does that.
I have one similar and I used duct tape to stiffen it but that one never leaves my desk.

The good news is that if the MacBook Air is still covered then so is the power adaptor and that is what I suggest doing.
Take it to an Apple store and show them. It needs to be clean and free from damage, they may replace it just because if you ask nice.

These are not, in any way, user serviceable.
Hope that helps and it is the only real answer.

My Air is out of warranty - I read somewhere that if you heat the brick it works? Sometimes it charges no problem, then other days nothing at all.

I, myself, would not trust it. Heating it cannot do it any good.
Like I said that with mine it is the small cord that has broken, faulty wires probably and heat will not help that at all.
It depends on how it is twisted and it doesn't take much to make or break the contact.
A new power supply is not that much or you can find one on eBay for less.
I do recommend replacement of some kind as opposed to maybe shorting out the logic board on the MacBook Air, could happen.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius