Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to

transfer my emails from an...
I am trying to transfer my emails from an old gmail account to a new gmail account. I have spent hours going through the pop method, and of the 5+ years of emails, the first 4 years got forwarded, then stopped. So the last year+ (the most important) is not forwarded. And nothing i try (filters, re-doing) works... This is so frustrating and I need help. Am on an old mac laptop, using os 10.4.11 and safari.
2/15/2013
Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

After you transferred the 4 years, did you remove them from the account and try to transfer the remaining 5th year?

Can you please just tell me, rather than a Bad Rating??

I don't understand why you already Rate Bad.

I am unhappy with the response and would like a Mac Expert with experience to respond to me.

ok then...
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist

I'll be happy to help with this issue - I would recommend using an e-mail client and setting up both accounts using the IMAP protocol. Once this is established, you can simply drag and drop your messages from the old account to the new one.

Apple Mail should be available on your version of OSX so I would use that for this process. Firstly you would need to ensure that IMAP is enabled on both Gmail accounts by following these steps

1. Sign in to Gmail.
  2. Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
  3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
  4. Select Enable IMAP.
  5. Click Save Changes.

Once completed, launch Apple Mail (it should have a postage stamp icon) and then go to Preferences-->Accounts to add the accounts.

The incoming server will be imap.gmail.com (Port 993) and the outgoing server will be smtp.gmail.com (Port 465)

Once that process is complete for both accounts, mail for each account will be visible in Apple mail and you can then move the items from the old account into the new one.

Let me know how that goes

Cheers

Steve

That would work if i had access to the apple mail. this computer was given to me and the previous owner had a password XXXXX enter the apple mail that i have no way of knowing or getting.

Thanks - in that instance, you could use the 3.1.10 version of Thunderbird which supports OSX 10.4 and is available here?

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/thunderbird.php

Or an alternative would be to create a new user account on the system, login as the new user and then use Apple Mail in that profile to perform the e-mail migration.

Cheers

Steve

which default application should i use to open the .exe file (how it's downloading)?

Thanks - it should be a .dmg file. I've uploaded a copy of it here
http://wikisend.com/download/949826/Thunderbird 3.1.11.dmg
and here
http://www.mediafire.com/?hp6cv73w4pded30
Cheers
Steve

Got it - Thank You! Now that it's downloaded, what do I do?

Ok, once downloaded - if you run the file it should install Thunderbird onto your machine. After the application has been installed, run it and you should be able to add the e-mail accounts using the settings outlined previously.

Cheers

Steve

sorry - i'm totally lost now (yes, I am very limited in this area). So, I have downloaded and dragged the new application into my application folder. Does that mean it is running or not? And then, I was confused by the settings you described earlier. Can you give a step by step from having dragged the app into app folder, to the point of having all my emails transferred? I know that's a lot to ask, but I truly am doing the best i can. this stuff is sooooo hard for me.

Ok - with the application now in the application folder you will need to double click the icon and Thunderbird should launch.

Then, using Safari - login to each of your G-mail accounts and click this icon

Choose Settings-->Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Make sure Enable IMAP is selected and then choose Save Changes.

Once this is done on each account go back to Thunderbird and go to File-->New-->Mail account and enter the account details for your first gmail account.
Username:[email protected]: your gmail password

Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.comPort: 993

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.comPort: 465

Once the first account has been added, repeat the process and add the second account. You will then have both accounts listed in Thunderbird and can drag and drop e-mails between the two.

Cheers

Steve

When it launched, it asked for my gmail account. I gave it my old one. it opened up with its own design that doesn't have the settings gear icon and is much harder for me to navigate. will i have to use this from now on? and, how do I log into gmail for my other account (and this account if with my original gmail format)?

Was this in Thunderbird? If so, you should have a list of folders on left hand side (Inbox etc) which contain all your e-mails.

This will be the way your e-mail always looks in Thunderbird, but we are only going to use this to migrate the mails from your old account to the new one.

To access the second account, you will need to go to File-->New-->Mail Account in Thunderbird and enter the second gmail account username and password XXXXX

Cheers

Stev e

Ok - that helped a lot!! Now, how do I drag and drop over a year's worth of emails without going crazy?

You should be able to select multiple messages using the shift key, for example if you have a folder full of messages, click on the first message at the top and then hold down the shift key and click on the message at the bottom.

This should select the entire list of messages which you can then drag and drop to the new location.

Cheers

Steve

that would probably still take hours to go page by page. is there no way to check "all messages" from a certain date, or to tell it to grab them some other way? I could have done the manual transfer from gmail itself...

You should also be able to drag and drop an entire folder from one gmail account to the other - for example if you drag the Inbox from the old account to the new account it should transfer the contents.

Cheers

Steve

that would be great, but when i drag the old inbox folder to the new one, it doesn't 'grab' or take it in...

Ok, when in the list of messages, press the Ctrl + A keys - this should select everything and you can then drag and drop to the desired folder in the new account.

Cheers

Steve

that is working - YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! now i want to know if there is a way to recall the labels/tags that i had on each email... or is that info all lost forever???

From testing here, the label information doesn't transfer unfortunately.

Glad the moving is working ok.

Cheers

Steve

Actually, what is the simplest way to copy the label folders? The label folders are still there with all the labeled emails in them. I have about a dozen label folders. There must be a simple way to re-create those folders under the new email address - what would be the best way to do that?

If you right-click the Inbox in Thunderbird under the new account and choose New Folder that should give you the option to add folders with the same label and then move the messages

Cheers

Steve

Just did all that and it seemed to be going great, then realized it was taking a very long time and was showing that it was (still?) moving the huge numbers of emails that were in the inbox (although that seemed to be completed)... Then accidentally closed thunderbird and cannot figure out how to get into my thunderbird gmail again...

Ok, is Thunderbird not starting again when you go to Applications and double click the icon there?

If not, the quickest solution may be to restart the Mac and then restart Thunderbird. It can take a little while to sync the contents.

Cheers

Steve

I have a thunderbird icon on my side bar. it has a black arrow/triangle on the right, indicating that it is open. And when i go into applications and click, it tells me that it is already open. But i don't see the window with the emails anywhere...

If you click on that icon, the window with e-mails should display - if not, then try pressing the Command (Apple key) + Tab and that should show all active windows.

Cheers

Steve

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YOU HAVE BEEN SOOOO HELPFUL!!! Smile Just one more question... With my old laptop (figured out that right click is ctrl+click) should i wait until each file content transfer is complete before starting the next one? Can it overwhelm the computer to do them all at once? or does it not matter?

No problem - happy to have helped!

You can do multiple transfers at once, although that can slow things down so I generally wait until one is complete before starting the next one.

Let me know if you need anything and if you're happy with the service, please rate so we know how we're doing.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist