Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Apple IMac late 2009 desktop, running Mac OS X 10.6.8, refuses

to accept a disc in...
My Apple IMac late 2009 desktop, running Mac OS X 10.6.8, refuses to accept a disc in the internal recorder/player. As soon as I insert a disc it immediately ejects it. I have tried different disc formats (DVD+, DVD-, DVD-RW, music CD); all produce the same result. I have not seen this behavior before. I last burned a disc about a week ago.

Steve
2/10/2013
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

It is possible that your drive is failed. But we can try some system resets and also dosome troublehsooting steps.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Press and hold down the Power button of your Mac for 10 seconds and this will turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

I tried the above. No luck. Problem persists.

Restart your Mac in Safe Mode and also run Disk Utility.

Restart in Safe mode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know how it goes....

I tried both Single User Mode and sbin/fsck -fy. The progarm reported the Macintosh HD as OK.

I still cannot load a disc into the drive.

I just realized I turned it off instead of typing "reboot". Should I do both again?

No. It is OK. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?

I am looking. Please wait.

Take your time.

I found the Mac OS Install DVD and the IMac Applications Install DVD.

Put the Mac OS X installation disc 1 to your Mac and immediately turn off your Mac before it ejects it. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Does it boot into the installation screen ?

I got the gray screen, then the spinning dial. It was going slowly so I had to get a drink of water. When I came back my normal desk top was showing but the computer still will not accept discs.

I'm sorry, but I've bad news for you. It seems like your drive is failed. Probably the lens of drive is failed. Your Mac will eject the disc if it can't read it. We've already tried all troubleshooting step so far. You will have to take it to the Apple Store to replace the drive. It will cost upto $200 (including repair charges) to replace the drive since your Mac is out of warranty. It should be better to buy a external DVD or Bluray drive than replacing the internal drive. See here : http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I was wondering about a bad drive and what the replacement options might be. I will follow your advice about getting an external DVD burner.

Than you, Steve

External drive would be the better since they are plug and play and also cheap compared to replacing the internal drive.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you are satisfied, please rate me Positively.

Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Technician