David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

Final cut pro wont load. My computer is a Power Book G4 12.

Customer Question

Final cut pro won't load. My computer is a Power Book G4 12. I bought it and the academic Final Cut Pro several years ago. Has worked well until this week. The initial screen comes up indicating it's loading before it reverts to the desk-top icons. Solution?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What version of OS X is it? Click the Apple menu and click About This Mac.

Do you know what version number of Final Cut Pro it is? Is there version information on the first screen, splash screen?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OS X 10.4.11

Final Cut Pro version 5.0

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Open System Preferences, Accounts. Click the Apple menu to find System Preferences.

In Accounts, unlock the padlock, and create a new account. Make it an administrator type account.

Use just test and test for username and password.

Log out using the Apple menu, and log into test.

Let me know if it loads OK there.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David, the padlock is open. How do I create a new account? I presume that will give me the test option?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Test won't be an option, it will be the name you give, and test will be the password.

There will be a + symbol beside or above the padlock.

Click it to add an account.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We're making progress, but still not there. David, when I logged back into to the new account, the icon for Final Cut is not there. How do I find it and create a shortcut for the desktop? Thanks! Don

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

You would make a Dock shortcut really, not a Desktop shortcut.

The easiest way is to click Finder, click the Go menu at the top, and click Applications. Double click Final Cut Pro in Applications.

When the icon appears on the Dock, right click it, and click 'Keep In Dock'.

Let me know if it gives you any issues in the new account.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no "Final Cut Pro" in the applications. It seems to have disappeared. Any idea where it went? "Final Cut Express" is there. Have moved that shortcut to the dock. There is also a "Final Cut Pro additional applications....." Have also moved that shortcut to the dock. It appears to contain files. Any idea where the "Final Cut Pro" may be hiding? Thanks!

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

My last response didn't send, I'm sorry about the delay.

In the original account, locate Final Cut Pro and put it back into Applications.

If it is only on the Dock, right click it, and click Reveal in Finder.

Let me know how it goes, sorry again about my first response not reaching you.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David, I'm a television reporter in Atlanta. I have to go out on assignment. Can we continue this session later? How? Thanks! Don

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

This page remains your thread on the issue, with a record if all our posts. You only need to bookmark, and come back when you are ready.

I will be at my computer almost all of the time.

Best regards,
David.