Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Iphoto on my Mac will not open. What do I need to do?

Iphoto on my Mac will...
2/4/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius

Hello Barbara, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Please tell me which version of OS X you have. Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.
graphic

version 10.5.8

When I click onthe Iphoto icon it bounces and the iphotp comes up on the top of the screen but iphoto does not open.

It sounds like a little TLC is necessary to get this working again.
First I would like you to repair the permissions, in your case with 10.5.8 it will take some time as it is the slowest at this of all OS Xs.

Repairing Permissions

Then, when that finishes, I would like you to do a pram reset, please do it carefully.

You will need to restart your Mac so please bookmark this webpage for easy return.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Do those two things and try iPhoto, I think you will see a difference. Your Mac will run better also.

Let me know, please, Barbara.

First, please be advised that I am not a computer expert. I have tried to follow your instructions but I do not think I have been successful. 1. When I am told to take note of all the ' checkable tabs' I do not know what that means.

2. Everything I am asked to highlight is already highlighted.

3 . When I am told to choose a cisk on the left none of the three mean anything to me so I do not know which to choose.

4. Because all tabs seem to be highlighted I clicked repair disk and the screen turned blue and there is no indication that anything is happening.

Please Advise.

Ok, I will explain. The top disk in the list is the one you want to highlight, the next one down that is indented is the same disk but with a name.
Both will do nicely.
The drive cannot be repaired because the Disk Utility is running from it, only the permissions can be repaired.
graphic

The tab will be blue when selected, grey is deselected.
Try that

Dan,

All the tabs are already preselected. Is that as it should be? Not only is b.the tab blue the entire page is blue. Is that asit should be.?

They cannot be all selected, it does not work that way.
graphic
When first opened it will look like the above, blank.
Then you select one drive, in your case the top one.
graphic
Then these are the tabs to look at.
graphic
See First Aid, click that to highlight.
graphic
Now click Repair Permissions.
That is how it works.

Dan,

When I select the drive the page turns blue and nothing more happwns.

Is it possible for you to call me. (NNN) NNN-NNNN

B.

Phone is not possible.
Lets start over and just do a pram reset.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

Do that and let me know when done please.

I did what yoy said - the restart. Iphoto still won't open. I need to go work the horses now. Can we continue this later please. Thanks. Barbara

Yes, go take care of the horses and stay warm doing it. I will be here.

What now? Restarted. Iphoto still will not open.

Now I want you to repair permissions, follow these steps carefully and it will work.

Repairing Permissions

Because you have 10.5.8 it will take some time, please do it just like it tells you.

The blank page that comes up is small and the print is small. If I click on onweof the hard drives ( the top one) the entire page turns blue. There is no 'first aid' Tab on that screen

Does it look anything like this?
graphic

Yes, but smaller. When I select a disk the entire page turns blue and nothing more happens

Yes, but smaller. When I select a disk the entire page turns blue and nothing more happens. I am going to bed now. Will check your reply in the morning. B.

Are you clicking on the image or have you opened the Disk Utility application?
To find the application you need to find it.
To do that click on the blue Finder face in the dock.
graphic
Then a window like this will appear.
graphic
It will look similar to the above. Now you want to tell it how to show you what is inside.
graphic
Select the Column view, it makes it easy to find things.
Now you can navigate to the Applications folder, inside of that is Utilities folder, inside of that is Disk Utility.
That is one way to get to it.

Better yet is to use Spotlight, that is the magnifying glass looking thing in the top right corner of your screen or in the top right corner of the Finder window.
graphic
Like it shows above. Double click that item and it will open.

Now you can select your hard drive (top or second one down).
When you do it will work like it should.

That help?

I did it! it took me forever to figure out that your pages were only samples.

i finished the permissions section. I hope I was not to do something with 'verify disk permissions' or 'verify disk'. I also completed the restart.

Still unable to open Iphoto!

Very good! WHat iPhoto is doing means it needs a rebuild.
Press and hold both the Option and Command keys down and click on iPhoto in the dock.
It should show you this.
graphic
Or this,
graphic
In either case check all boxes and then click Rebuild.
When iPhoto opens most of the windows on the desktop will run away, they are still there but hiding.
Do the above and let me know the results.

Barbara, how are you doing? It took me a while to figure out that you were trying to use the image to perform the task, my fault.
How is the rebuild coming?

It's done. Iphotp is working again. Sorry I am such a slow learner.

Thanks for all your help. Barbara

Nothing to apologize for. You did just fine, I was a little slow to realize what was going on.
Happy it is all working again. If I can be of further service please let me know.
I have a link you can add to your bookmarks to make it easy to reach me.
Just drag your mouse cursor across that and paste it in the address bar of Safari or whatever browser you use.

You are very welcome Barbara, thank you for asking me.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius