MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hi, I have just updated my iphone 4 to the latest 6.1 firmware,

Hi, I have just updated my iphone 4 to the latest 6.1 firmware, and now itunes is telling me my iphone backup is corrupt or incompatible with the phone. Only apps and music will sync to the phone, everything else is left in factory settings.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your inquiry. So you are unable to restore your iPhone 4 with your most recent back up or any backups you have stored in iTunes?

MacTechTrainer :

(just clarifying)

Customer:

Yes thats correct, I simply went through the update process and it said backup is corrupt or incompatible

MacTechTrainer :

Are you using iTunes on PC or Mac if I may ask?

Customer:

Mac

MacTechTrainer :

Ok what I would like you to do is a simple first step-

MacTechTrainer :

simply quit iTunes and then relaunch the application

MacTechTrainer :

Need to see if maybe iTunes is causing the issue with the use of that backup file you are seeking to restore'

Customer:

ok done

MacTechTrainer :

Ok now go back into iTunes and attempt to restore from your back up once again

Customer:

Same again, corrupt or incompatible

MacTechTrainer :

Is that the only back up stored in iTunes for your iPhone 4, by chance?

Customer:

No there are others and none of them work

MacTechTrainer :

Bear with me for a few moments if you would, I would like to check some options regarding this issue

MacTechTrainer :

thanks in advance for your patience

Customer:

No probs

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience. Do you happen have Time Machine activated with your Mac computer, with an external hard drive?

Customer:

Yes thats what I have

MacTechTrainer :

So is that what you have been attempting to use to restore your iPhone back up file, or were you attempting to do so through iTunes directly?

Customer:

Through iTunes directly

MacTechTrainer :

(Thank you for your patience in advance, as I have to ask these questions in order to better isolate what some of the symptoms of your technical issue are-- in order to work toward a more viable solution for you)

Customer:

I understand

MacTechTrainer :

Recovering a damaged iPhone back up file is very difficult, but I want to check to see if there may be a way to restore such a file

MacTechTrainer :

be right with you, checking my iPhone -Mac resources

MacTechTrainer :

Just so I can determine what you are seeking most to restore for your iPhone 4 since the iOS 6.1 update, can you list what items in order of priority that you need most to have recovered?

Customer:

Contacts

Customer:

Photos

Customer:

everything else has been sync-ed

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for the update. I just checked my Mac tech global database on corrupted back up files and Apple unfortunately notes that if the back up files are damaged or corrupted, then the data is lost, so not much room there I'm afraid. The only possible option I have is a software solution for recovering your contacts and photos is a paid software utility for Mac users called iPhone iTunes Data Recovery

MacTechTrainer :

The free workarounds that I have looked into, are not feasible for data recovery because all of your iPhone back up files are regretfully corrupt

MacTechTrainer :

I was looking at Time Machine as a option as well to determine if maybe a restore from that back up application could help, but the downside is there is a 50/50 chance that those back up files from a restore may not work either, only because there is no way to determine with those back up files (if they can be retrieved) were damaged as well.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help, its not a huge issue, photos are on my mac and I'll just have to re-enter contacts manually which is all I was trying to avoid.

MacTechTrainer :

I have checked Apple's support databases on this as far as I could source, again, found no way to recover damaged iTunes back ups

MacTechTrainer :

I did want to ask you, did you have your contacts and photos stored through iCloud?

MacTechTrainer :

if you do that is a real good chance you can recover some of that data there-

Customer:

Just thought it strange that all backups are now damaged

Customer:

No havent been using iCloud

MacTechTrainer :

also if you used AddressBook which is the default contacts application on your Mac OS X system, to store your contacts, that is also a good source- even if you have to re-add the contacts manually- it is better than a total loss

MacTechTrainer :

I am so sorry for the terrible inconvenience this has caused you-

MacTechTrainer :

If I can add to help further: the good thing if you have paid music, videos and Apps

MacTechTrainer :

is that you can reinstall those items because iTunes will recognize those purchases through your Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

now that I have done myself with my iPhone and iPod Touch models

MacTechTrainer :

it is a bit tedious, but it does help

Customer:

Its ok, my mac and iphone have been problem free for many years so I am happy :)

MacTechTrainer :

I would also recommend you consider setting up a free iCloud account provided from Apple

MacTechTrainer :

(Good to know :)

Customer:

Yes all of my music and apps are sync-ed

MacTechTrainer :

Great

MacTechTrainer :

so you are ok there

MacTechTrainer :

what I was going to mention about the iCloud service, is that it can keep and store on Apple's cloud servers

MacTechTrainer :

all of your contacts, photos, and more

MacTechTrainer :

and it syncs too, with your Mac and iPhone :)

Customer:

Thanks for your assistance, I will start using iCloud

MacTechTrainer :

I use it for myself and my family for our iPhones and it works great

MacTechTrainer :

excellent

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for your willingness to give it a try

MacTechTrainer :

would you like the website address for getting started with iCloud?

MacTechTrainer :

(Sorry for being so detailed, but I hate data losses as a Tech with a passion)

Customer:

Its ok I will set it up later, need to get back to work.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok

MacTechTrainer :

I found it faster than I thought- so there you go

Customer:

Thanks

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us.

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back.

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

You are very welcome

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com, my name isXXXXX Support Specialist, glad to have assisted you.