Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i locked myself out of my ipod how do i unlock it

2/2/2013
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Do you have a passcode lock, is that what you mean by locked out?

Thanks in advance,
David.

yes

You can remove the passcode, but you will need the latest version of iTunes on your computer.

First have the latest version of iTunes installed and open on your computer, and have the cable ready.

Then power off the iPod. Let me know when you are at this stage.

Thanks,
David.

new to this! how do i do that

That's really OK, we can go step by step as long as it's OK with you :)

What kind of computer do you have, and do you have iTunes installed?

What exact type of iPod is it and do you have the cable that came with it?

Thanks,
David.

dell from verizon, no itunes, it was a gift so not sure

Okay, so the first step is to install iTunes.

Go to: www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download iTunes to your computer, and install it.

This is the first step, let me know when you have iTunes running on your computer.

Thanks,
David.

ok its a ipod touch

Let me know when you have iTunes installed and running, thanks.

Regards,
David.

running now

Okay, next step is to turn off the iPod.

Press and hold the off button on the top, until the red slider appears.

Let me know when you have switched off the iPod, thanks.

Regards,
David.

off

Okay, now the next steps need to be followed in a set order.

First press and hold the Home button on the iPod.

Second connect it to the computer.

Third wait for iTunes to say it has detected an iPod in Recovery Mode.

And last release the Home button on the iPod.

It may make it easier to do this if you connect the cable to the end of the iPod but not to the computer before you start.

Let me know if you encounter a problem with these steps.

Regards,
David.

ok

Just let me know as soon as you are ready. It should restore, and there will be no passcode.

If this doesn't work as expected, please get back to me and let me know what it did.

Sincerely,
David.

the download says at 6% and the ipod has a pic of itunes on it

That's because there was also a newer version of software available, it's OK that it's doing that.

It means it will take a few minutes longer than normal, that's all.

The fast it's doing the download now tells me everything should be OK when it is finished.

Please get back to me if there are any problems.

Kind regards,
David.

the screen just changed to the passcode screen

Then it must not have said 'Recovery Mode'.

Can you try turning it off again, and then try connecting it with the Home button held, only release it when iTunes says it detected the iPod in 'Recovery Mode'

Thanks,
David.

on the computer screen or ipod

The iPod screen is off, until you connect it, but hold Home button before you connect it, and don't let it go until it says 'Recovery Mode' on the screen of the computer.

Thanks,
David.

the computer wizard says needs cd rom?

The steps if done right don't need a CD, so I think there must be other software trying to run or start.

Try restarting you computer (bookmark this page first) and then open iTunes and repeat the steps.

Thanks,
David.

this is still not working

That's Okay, we can take the steps one by one and see which one is not working.

Here is information on Recovery Mode:
support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

So as I understand at this point, iTunes never says 'Recovery Mode' after you connect the iPod.

Are you able to power the iPod off using the red slider?

right ....yes

OK, that step works, good. It must be a later step that is the problem.

When the iPod is off, press and hold the Home button, the one on the front face of the iPod.

Keep holding that button, don't let it go.

Connect the cable to the computer, so that the iPod is connected.

Still hold the Home button, you should not let it go yet.

It may take a minute or two, but the iPod should now switch on. Don't let go the Home button.

iTunes will say it has detected an iPod in Recovery Mode. Now you can release the Home button.

Continue the restore and if it asks to recover from a backup say no.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
David.

does itunes need to finish loading or r we ok while loading cause nothing is showing up yet, im still holding buttom

Yes it is crucial that iTunes is loaded. Please wait until it finishes installing.

If it has installed properly, reboot and open iTunes, then turn off the iPod and connect it with the Home button held.

Regards,
David.

it says 5 hr 23 mins estimated time sorry for bothering u

You're really not bothering me at all, I am very patient :)

This is a slow download, but at least it is in progress.

I would recommend not turning off your computer until the download an install of iTunes is finished.

I don't expect you to wait by the computer, so you should bookmark this page and return to it when iTunes has installed.

I will be offline for the night in about another half an hour to an hour so it suits me fine.

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist

thanks for your help....hopefully when its done it will work..i'm jeanette ...thanks David

Thanks Jeanette :) Get back to me on any problem with it.

Best regards,
David.

Hi David,

Its Jeanette again. the process went good until the end . afterneverything was downloaded and recovery process was done the screen came up Need passcode to finish.... now what? don i needn to send it back to apple or what

No, we can reset the passcode. Is it a four digit passcode?

Thanks for your patience, I'm sure we can get it going soon.

Thanks,
David.

its letters

Then does it say passcode, or Apple ID?

Is there 4 slots to type something in?

When the restore process was complete, did it mention recovering from a backup?

Thanks,
David.

passcode..no slots just bar

no mention of backup

The Restore yesterday took a very long time, because it had to download the software update. That is now on the computer, so a second restore would not take that long.

I would like you to do another restore, putting it into Recovery Mode as before, and double check that iTunes says that it is in 'Recovery mode', and double check are there any mentions of recovering from an earlier backup.

If it is the same, please give the exact text of the box asking for the passcode. Also let me know if there is another computer you can try it on.

Sincerely,
David.

thank u thank u thank u it worked

Everything is working good. The whole thing has restored and it says i am free to download freely.

That's brilliant, and thank you for having the patience to stick with it :)

Feel free to ask me any follow up questions you have in future :)

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist