Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I have final cut prox installed on my macbook pro. i just purchased

I have final cut prox installed on my macbook pro. i just purchased a ADATA external harddrive which is recognized on my macbook, but not in final cut.
How can I fix this?

BeBoo :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

BeBoo :

Does the hard drive not appear at all in FCP or does it appear with nothing on the drive?

Customer:

hi. Thanks for looking at my question. It wont appear at all in FCP. But it does appear in Finder

Customer:

I can import from my HD, but it wont let me work with it

BeBoo :

Ok, where are you looking for it, exactly? Are you trying to open or save a project from/to it?

Customer:

it should appear in my events library, but it doesn't

Customer:

Right now, I'm just trying to save an event to it so I can start working on a project.

BeBoo :

Is there anything else on the drive at the moment?

Customer:

yes. I have some pictures and some media

BeBoo :

Ok, with Final Cut Pro open, please open the external drive and rename a folder. Does the drive appear in Final Cut Pro now?

Customer:

see...that's the thing. I can't even open my external drive through Final Cut. It doesn't appear anywhere.

Customer:

I can do that through finder though...so I know it can be read

BeBoo :

I meant through the finder.

BeBoo :

Open the drive and change the name of a folder and see if it appears in Final Cut Pro.

Customer:

No. that has no effect

BeBoo :

Ok, thanks for trying. Some people were reporting that changing something on the hard drive caused FCP to notice it.

Customer:

oh...so is this a common problem for Final Cut Pro?

BeBoo :

Ah, what type of hard drive is this? A USB drive or Firewire?

Customer:

USB drive

BeBoo :

It appears to be but I'm also reading reports that FCP doesn't like certain drives so it will not show them. Reasons could be connection type (USB) or drive speed.

Customer:

What a pisser. So does that mean I have to buy a new one?

BeBoo :

Also some reports that Final Cut Pro will not use a drive that is being used for Time Machine.

Customer:

no. I'm not using it for that

BeBoo :

Ok, what ports does that drive have?

Customer:

ok...you've stumped me. How can I tell that?

Customer:

is that what it plugs into? There's just one usb port

BeBoo :

Maybe I can look the drive up. Does it have a model number on it anywhere?

BeBoo :

Oh ok. There are no other ports?

Customer:

It's a ADARA HD710. There's just one port

Customer:

sorry ADATA HD 710

BeBoo :

Ok, I was going to suggest trying a different port. Firewire is faster and might help but it doesn't have a firewire port.

Customer:

no...sadly

BeBoo :

Ok, one thing to check. Select the hard drive icon on your desktop. Use the File menu and choose Get Info. What does it say for Format?

Customer:

MS-DOS (FAT32)

BeBoo :

Ah ha! That is the reason right there.

BeBoo :

Is there anything on that drive you need to keep?

Customer:

It's all in Dropbox too

Customer:

so what's the issue? what should I do about it

BeBoo :

We need to format the drive as a Mac format so that Final Cut Pro can use it. This process will erase any data on the drive.

BeBoo :

To do this, first make sure Final Cut Pro is closed. At the desktop, use the Go menu at the top and choose Utilities. Look for and open Disk Utility. Look for your drive on the left and choose it. Change to the Erase tab. Name the drive and make sure the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click Erase.

BeBoo :

Once the process is complete, you should see it on your desktop again. Open Final Cut Pro and see if it shows up.

Customer:

its asking if I want to use this HD to back up with time machine. I should say no right?

Customer:

I usually back up on the cloud

BeBoo :

Correct, say no.

Customer:

now. The HD doesn't show up on the desktop but it is in finder

BeBoo :

Ok, that might be normal but if it shows in the Finder that is good. Does it show up in Final Cut Pro?

Customer:

yay! my hero....

Customer:

thank you