Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my mail icon disappeared from the dock and after restoring

Customer Question
i cannot open a new...
my mail icon disappeared from the dock and after restoring i cannot open a new message screen
In attempting to repair this I reckon I have moved the main file out of its original location

I have restored all my emails and folders but still cannot get a new message screen
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 4 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Restart the computer. Move the Mail folder back to Library open Applications and then drag Mail app to the Dock. Try it again.

didn't work still won't open the new message screen

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

2.4Ghz intel core 2 Duo

4Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3

System Version please.

version 10.6.8

OK quit Mail go to your Home folder then open Library and Preferences drag com.apple.mail.plist to the trash then try Mail again.

no it still doesn't work

should i have rebooted after the change?

Did you move that Mail folder back to your Home / Library?

yes i now have mail and mail icon and mail downloads in the home library file

Who is your email provider?

tiscali

Is it IMAP account? Do you have web access?

yes i have web access not sure what imap account is

Go to the Apple logo to Software Update

i did this earlier today there are no new updates

i did this earlier and i am up to date

IMAP accounts like gmail or iCloud basically mirrors your Mail program and you should see the same folders, and emails, etc.... If that is the case you can just reset up the account by trashing the Mail folder or you can try restoring that Mail folder from backup again. How did you restore it previously?

i restored the folder from the terminal application and i have all my emails and all my folders but i cannot use the mail programme to write a new email or to reply to a received email

You don't have Time Machine? How did you restore from Terminal?

i found terminal and a prompt saying restore mailboxes

yes i do have timemachine but it is a last resort to go back to last backup

I don't know what that does... what was the exact terminal command? You need to use Time Machine to Restore your Mail, but try this first:

Select your Inbox and go to Mailbox / Rebuild. Wait a while then try a new message.
You should also do this:

It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Why did you rate me Poor Service we are still working on the problem? Did you rebuild the Mailbox?

doing restore

what happens my account now?

You are Restoring from Time Machine? Did you check the drive first?

no

No to which question?

yes from time machine and no to disc check

You should have checked the drive first. Let me know

ok

Good luck
Mike, Mac Medic