Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Power Point presentation that has embedded videos

in it on my Windows...
I have a Power Point presentation that has embedded videos in it on my Windows 7 based laptop. I would like to be able to show this presentation on my iPad since that's easier to take with me on client visits than my laptop. How do I put it on my iPad? Is it even possible? Thank you!!
1/2/2013
Eric M.
Eric M., Computer Science PhD Candidate
Hey! Welcome to JustAnswer! I'll be happy to help you with this.

There is no on-board application on the iPad that runs PowerPoint presentations, but there are third-party tools that can accomplish this. In my experience, by far the best one is called SlideShark. SlideShark, remarkably, is a free program. You can find it on iTunes here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slideshark-view-share-presentations/id471369684?mt=8

It has the built-in ability to play WMV and AVI videos that are embedded in the presentation. Chances are your videos are in these formats, but if they aren't, I can help you convert them.

Keynote is a fabulous program, but it does require rebuilding your presentation from scratch. In my experience, it's a bit more complicated to use than PowerPoint, but it's also a bit more powerful. If you already have your presentation, though, I highly recommend SlideShark.

Thanks! If this answer is acceptable, please remember to click 'Accept' or give positive feedback when prompted. If you need further assistance before this is deemed acceptable, please don't hesitate to ask for more detail. Thanks again!
Eric M.
Eric M., Computer Science PhD Candidate

SlideShark looks great for what I need. I am having trouble embedding my videos into the ppt, though. I have Power Point 2010, and followed the Help instructions to embed the videos, but they aren't in the file when it's uploaded to SlideShark. I suspect they are being linked instead of embedded. How do I get the videos truly embedded into the file?

Thanks!!

Hi! Ah, I completely understand -- I've dealt with that same problem before. When you insert a video into a presentation, you should see a little arrow next to the 'Insert' button on the file insertion dialog, as shown here:

https://officeimg.vo.msecnd.net/en-us/files/741/883/ZA010376923.jpg

You want to make sure that that is set to 'Insert' rather than 'Link to File' when you click it. Unfortunately, this is an option that has to be set upon inserting the video -- it can't be retroactively applied, so unfortunately you'll need to go back through and insert the videos this way.

Before you do that, though, you might want to check the file size of the PowerPoint presentation. It sounds like you've looked into making sure they're embedded instead of linked -- if the presentation is particularly large, that would suggest that the videos are already embedded and that SlideShark just isn't seeing them yet. (You could also check this by putting the presentation on a different computer and trying it there.)

If embedding them in that way doesn't work (or if you're sure that you've done it correctly in the past), or if the file size suggests that the videos really are included, let me know and I can try to figure out what might be going on. If you need any extra help with anything I've suggested here, let me know as well. Thanks!

Hi Eric,

I did what you recommended, but it's still not working. They are definitely "inserted" into the ppt file not linked. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Carol

Interesting! Alright, our next step is to figure out whether PowerPoint is still failing to package them into the file, or if SlideShark is failing to see them the right way.

I'm not familiar with the content of the presentation, but would you be comfortable uploading it for me to take a look at? I have an Android device, and I can test it on my own in order to figure out a way to accomplish this.

If you don't mind uploading it, I'd recommend using MediaFire.com or Box.net -- those tend to be the simplest ways. If you'd rather not send it to me, let me know and I'll try to think of another way to figure this out.

I uploaded my file to MediaFire.com under the same email address. How do i share it with you?

Thanks for your help!

When you upload it, there should be a 'Share' link to the right -- clicking that will copy the URL to your clipboard. Just paste it here and I can download it -- thanks!

Sorry it took so long. This project got put on the back burner for me. Finally, here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?lj88st5jah4j2pm

No worries! I can take a look at this this evening when I get back to my home computer.
Alright, I'm experiencing the same thing as you -- the videos are still referencing a path on your computer. Can you upload the videos to Mediafire for me, too? If you know how to, you can zip them up into one file, but if not, feel free to upload them individually and post all the links here. Thanks!

I uploaded them individually:

1) Breakfast: http://www.mediafire.com/?dua8k49a7lr6nxj

2) Visitor/Doorbell: http://www.mediafire.com/?6e353mqjb89o41z

3) Doorway: http://www.mediafire.com/?dua8k49a7lr6nxj

4) Entry/Exit: http://www.mediafire.com/?xih4n0jl8ocu3u0

5) Leash/Smoke: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ez6c8uwb1xa11u

6) Puppy Nipping: http://www.mediafire.com/?6pa70rlwx17xk47

Thank you for your help!

carol

Thanks! Are these listed in the order that they are meant to appear in the presentation? Just want to make absolute sure before modifying things and sending them back to you -- if not, let me know which slide each one goes on.

Yes, they are in the order of appearance in the presentation.

thanks!

I'm sorry, it looks like the same link was posted for both #1 and #3. I'm missing the breakfast video -- thanks!

#1 should be: http://www.mediafire.com/?mzaavi5yrpnb36l

#3 should be: http://www.mediafire.com/?dua8k49a7lr6nxj

I'm sorry, I keep thinking I have all the necessary information, but I keep finding something else. Right now, I don't see the breakfast video in the presentation. Can you tell me which slide it belongs on? Thanks!

Sorry I keep putting this on the back burner! The Breakfast slide belongs on slide #8.

Will I be able to run the presentation on my iPad without a connection to the internet?

Thanks!

No worries! I'll take a look at this first thing tomorrow.
Sorry for the delay on this -- I've been ill with the flu, which means I haven't been to my office which is where I have PowerPoint installed. I'll take a look at this when I'm back there on Monday -- sorry again!

No rush. I hope you feel better!

Ah, alright, I've gotten to the bottom of the original problem -- after trying to insert the videos the way we discussed and failing, I realized that the original presentation was created using an older version of Microsoft PowerPoint. In that version, it wasn't possible to embed videos in a presentation -- they had to be separate files. So, I converted the presentation to the newer version of PowerPoint and reinserted the videos, and now they should play without having to include the videos manually.

Here's the updated presentation: (link)

You'll notice, of course, that it takes a while to download since now it has all those videos contained in the file.
Woops, sorry, clicked before I was done typing.

Anyway, this presentation should work just fine if put on your SlideShark player. The only problem, though, is that I'm guessing the reason the file format was old in the first place is that you're using an older version of PowerPoint, which unfortunately means that you wouldn't be able to edit this presentation without losing the videos again.

There's a couple ways around that. The simplest, of course, is to upgrade to a newer version of PowerPoint (PowerPoint 2007 or later will work), but that's annoyingly pricey. Another alternative is to use a program called OpenOffice -- it's a free alternative ot Microsoft Office that can save .pptx files. Sometimes the formatting can be a little inconsistent, but usually it works just fine. I'm uncertain about the compatibility with SlideShark, though.

Of course, the third alternative is that if you need to edit the presentation, go ahead and edit it, then upload the changed one here and I can bounce back the SlideShark-able presentation to you. Now that I know what the problem is, it only takes a couple minutes to convert it to the newer version.

Thanks! If you need any more help, let me know!
Good! I'm glad to hear it!
Eric M.
Eric M.
Eric M., Computer Science PhD Candidate