Mac

I need help transferring system and application files to a…

I need help transferring system...
I need help transferring system and application files to a newly installed SSD hard drive. I have not replaced my standard SATA drive, I've only added a second drive to the MacBook (5.1 - osx 10.8.2)

New Drive is showing in Finder, and has been formatted. Is recognized on desktop, finder and disk utility....but is not available as a start... Read full answer

New Drive is showing in Finder, and has been formatted. Is recognized on desktop, finder and disk utility....but is not available as a start up disk in Settings.
12/28/2012
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

How did you transfer the files that are on there now?

Customer:

There are no files on the SSD

Customer:

I've only replaced the optical bay

Customer:

I backed up my complete system VIA time machine onto an external

Customer:

my goal is to move all system and app data to ssd, and use SATA for storage

Customer:

*backup was before SSD install

Jesse :

Okay, then you'll need to startup to the Recovery partition on the Machine, by holding down Option on Startup. From there, go through the Mac OS install process, and select the SSD as the destination. I would advise that before you do that, you use Disk Utility to give the drive a distinctive name, so it's clear it's the SSD. Once you do that, and the OS is installed, you'll likely need to Option boot again, to choose the SSD as the startup drive.

Jesse :

Once you're sure that the SSD is bootable and everything is there, you can boot to the Recovery partition on the SSD that will be created, and erase the SATA.

Customer:

on a very high level, that makes complete sense to me

Customer:

So first step: install Mac OS onto SSD via Option on Startup

Jesse :

Yes.

Customer:

Option Boot again to set SSD as boot disk

Jesse :

You'll Option boot to get to it, then once you're booted up, and are sure it's working, you can open Disk Utility there and erase the SATA drive.

Customer:

Okay. This is essentially installing a fresh OS, or will this method automatically import all app and system data to the SSD?

Jesse :

This will install a fresh OS, and then when you startup to the OS for the first time, you'll be asked if you want to transfer everything from a Time Machine backup. You connect your Time Machine drive, and say yes.

Jesse :

Make sure that you don't transfer the System settings and other option. That stuff should not go on the new drive.

Customer:

Okay. My backup was on an external drive, and it was full system. Will I be able to de-select Users data?

Jesse :

Yes, you have the option of deselecting what you don't want.

Customer:

and is that optimal for the SSD: Application, System, Library all on the SSD with fresk OS?

Jesse :

Yea, that's fine. Even the User account isn't a bad idea. You just don't want the "Other" stuff.

Customer:

okay. I'm still terrified, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Customer:

when I option on startup will I need the external, no right? recovery partition is built in...?

Jesse :

You should be fine, just don't erase the SATA until you're sure the SSD is working. And even if something happens, you'll always have your Time Machien backup.

Jesse :

Yea, recovery partition is built in. You won't need the external until after the OS is installed on the SSD. Just make sure you give the SSD partition a unique name so you'll know which it is when you Option start.

Customer:

okay, will i have access to transcript of this chat in the chance that I make a wrong turn?

Jesse :

Absolutely, and you can always return here with additional questions. Just bookmark this page.

Customer:

....and will option on boot automatically launch recovery walkthrough, or will i need to know how to access that on my own?

Jesse :

Option boot shows you an available boot drives, you select the Recovery partition, and you'll see the Install Mac OS option come up on the screen.

Customer:

perfect.

Jesse :

If you have additional questions and I'm not immediately available, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Customer:

thank-you....page bookmarked, and im going into it.

Jesse :

Sounds good, and good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Customer:

if I submit rating now, will that affect justanswer chat functionality?

Jesse : It will end the chat mode, but we can still talk through what you need.
Customer:

Hi Jesse...

Jesse :

Hello.

Customer:

Thank-you for the help. For the most part, everything went as planned. I have everything set-up and running from the SSD card, but I'm actually running off the SATA drive still.

Customer:

Is there a way to import all of my application data so that Outlook, Chrome, etc settings are imported to the new OS on the SSD?

Jesse :

Did they not import? Did you Migrate your User account? If you did, all that information should be over.

Customer:

I migrated USER account desktop and application folders.

Customer:

I left out everything that looked like pictures, photos, etc...because that still lives, and will remain on my SATA

Customer:

maybe I should use migration assistant to import the entire user directory?

Jesse :

Yes, you always want to migrate it over, then move it to the SATA after the fact. Otherwise things won't work right.

Customer:

okay. also, I was asked to create a new user profile, and I did.

Customer:

Should I still be using the user account from the SATA? or can i transfer all user settings to the new user profile? I feel like I'm complicating the easiest part

Jesse :

A new user profile for Outlook?

Customer:

No for my computer

Jesse :

It's okay, I would recommend you do the whole Account, and not do portions.

Customer:

thank-you for the help!

Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
MacBook Pro very slow. What is best tool to increase speed?
MacBook Pro very slow. What is best tool to increase speed? … read more
I'm about to replace my internal hard drive on my Mac based
Hey Ashik - I'm about to replace my internal hard drive on my Mac based on your recommendations last week. Couple questions first:This is the drive I'm planning to install: https://amazon.com/gp/produ… read more
I have a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011). Sierra 10.12.2,
2011 My issue is that I've just replaced the SATA HDD that sits in the old SuperDrive casing, as I have replaced the original HD with an SSD. So the SATA HDD that I've replaced now can't be initialised. … read more
Mac Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro computer, and my question is...
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro computer, and my question is... How can I make ABSOLUTELY certain that documents/emails/Any information, that has been deleted from the computer can not be recovered again?… read more
Computer Technican,
My MacBook Pro won't fully start up. When I turn the power
My MacBook Pro won't fully start up. When I turn the power on, I get a start up screen with a bar that looks like it's working toward turning on but once it gets to the end of the bar, it shuts off. I… read more
I cant transfer files from my MacBook Air to my LaCie external
I can't transfer files from my MacBook Air to my LaCie external hard drive. I get an error message saying: Unable to transfer. Please check that the disk is physically connected, and that the source d… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I installed an extra SSD into my desktop 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 but
I installed an extra SSD into my desktop 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 but I can't get the computer to recognize it is there. I have triede reinstalling and moving the new hard drive to different bays, but I still… read more
Mac Support Specialist,
I am trying to back up my MacBook on my Toshiba external hard
I am trying to back up my MacBook on my Toshiba external hard drive using Time machine. My external shows up on my desktop and is listed under Devices but Time Machine can't find it (not listed for me… read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
REPLACED a failed drive with this 750 GB RPM Seagate SATA,
REPLACED a failed drive with this 750 GB RPM Seagate SATA, one hundred percent compatible with my computer, but when I used the restored software the computer does not recognize the new drive. Followe… read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
I have an iMac, running OSX 10.6.7. I was using a Seagate
I have an iMac, running OSX 10.6.7. I was using a Seagate drive {Product No. 9BD868-580, Serial No. 3PM0BTKX} for an external backup, somewhere along the line when I upgraded the OSX operating system … read more
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Apple Specialist,
I have a MacBook with OSX 10.6.7. It will not show USB flash
I have a MacBook with OSX 10.6.7. It will not show USB flash drives or SD cards formated as MS-DOS. These USB flash drives and SD cards work and show up in finder on my other MacBooks. I can see it in… read more
Mac Genius,
I have an old 15 MacBook Pro (replaceable battery - MA348G/A)
I have an old 15" MacBook Pro (replaceable battery - MA348G/A) which I have already added memory to but I would also like to increase the size of the hard disk. The laptop is a few years old (I have t… read more
Jesse
Jesse
Mac Support Specialist,
Some College
Stop searching for answers—
i recently purchased a memory card and UBS adapter to download
i recently purchased a memory card and UBS adapter to download the photos from my cell phone--i have downloaded the pix onto the card but my MAC OS X; version 10.5.8 is not recognizing it --i know the… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Electrician / Programmer / Sound design,
when I go to burn a DVD from I Movie projects, it says my start
when I go to burn a DVD from I Movie projects, it says my start of Disc does not have enough room. How do I clear old saved DVD's from the computer? There is no "send to the trash bar" available. If i… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Hi Johnny Mack This is Pat with the Entourage database rebuild
Hi Johnny Mack: This is Pat with the Entourage database rebuild problem. I have a second question. I have never set up a backup for my MacBook, (leopard O.S.). I have a new SATA 160 GB hard drive in a… read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
Recently had my Roland BR- 1600s hard drive replaced but now
Recently had my Roland BR- 1600's hard drive replaced but now my discs are not recognized by my Mac mini. That includes discs previously recorded and downloaded as well.… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Ive fitted a new hd in a macbook intel. Having gone through the correct proced
I've fitted a new hd in a macbook intel. Having gone through the correct procedure within disc utility to format the drive and name it, the drive does not mount on the desktop. The mountpoint is not "… read more
Jesse
Jesse
Mac Support Specialist,
Some College
I just bought my first Mac (I have the mac lite). Been a PC
I just bought my first Mac (I have the mac lite). Been a PC user forever! I have pictures on an external PC hard drive. Is there a way to get those picture from that hard drive onto my mac? I plugged … read more
District Technology Specialist,