Mac

When I switch on my iMac (10.7.5, serial number W8744BZUX86)

the fan comes on, very...
the fan comes on, very loudly. This is a recurring problem, and I remember that the last time I called, I was given instructions to turn on, then re-boot, holding down a couple of keys. Could you advise me which keys (assuming I have remembered this correctly)?... Read full answer
When I switch on my iMac (10.7.5, serial number W8744BZUX86) the fan comes on, very loudly. This is a recurring problem, and I remember that the last time I called, I was given instructions to turn on, then re-boot, holding down a couple of keys. Could you advise me which keys (assuming I have remembered this correctly)?
12/28/2012
Mike, Mac Medic
Probably this procedure correct?

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Mike, Mac Medic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I record books for the blind. I have an iMac. The fan seems
I record books for the blind. I have an iMac. The fan seems to be running almost all of the time and when I record a book the mike picks up the sound of the fan running. It is a problem. Is there any … read more
Worked with previously. I replaced my mid 2010 1TB HDD that
Worked with Mike previously. I replaced my mid 2010 1TB HDD that stopped working with an evo 850 SDD and get a white screen with a slashing folder with ?. I've tried to boot off the install disk holdi… read more
My grandsons iMac g5 serial no W8543CLMTAQ wont boot up, it
My grandsons iMac g5 serial no W8543CLMTAQ won't boot up, it has power and after two to three miniuts the fan starts but it won't boot… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
My iMac OSX 10.7.5 wont start. I was using it when the screen
My iMac OSX 10.7.5 won't start. I was using it when the screen started to flutter and continued. I went to restart, clicker and the screen went black and stayed there. It will not start up. All power … read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
I have a imac 2.66 GHz i5. Two days ago i lost power to the
I have a imac 2.66 GHz i5. Two days ago i lost power to the computer causing it to shut down suddenly. Now, when I start it up the fan is running continuously and very loudly. Any suggestions on what'… read more
Mac Genius,
my iMac, serial # WW8804ECSX86, lost systems preferences.
my iMac, serial # XXXXX lost systems preferences. I tried to reinstall the OX install disc - but it I cannot open it or release it from the iMac. What can I do.? My name isXXXXX and my phone number is… read more
VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems
Professor,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
The fan of my iMac G5 20 OS 10.4.11 makes a very loud noise.
The fan of my iMac G5 20" OS 10.4.11 makes a very loud noise. Is there a firmware update to solve this problem?… read more
When I turn my Imac G5 on, the grey screen appears with the
When I turn my Imac G5 on, the grey screen appears with the white apple. The blue screen doesn't come on, instead te fan becomes very loud and then switches itself off. I have tried resetting PRAM as … read more
Mac Genius,
Attempted to install Leopard on my G4 imac; froze with a grey
Attempted to install Leopard on my G4 imac; froze with a grey screen and spinning wheel. I have an external HD with Leopard and have tried firewiring, but no luck. I have tried everything from resetti… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
System Administrator,
when i switch on my Apple Imac G5 the screen remains blank
when i switch on my Apple Imac G5 the screen remains blank and all i hear is the fan. please advise… read more
Mac Genius,
I have an apple mac runnuning osx when switched on it shows
I have an apple mac runnuning osx when switched on it shows only the apple logo and a moving cursor symbol… read more
Mac Genius,
A power cut has upset my 2009 imac and now the fans remain
A power cut has upset my 2009 imac and now the fans remain on at all times when prior to this I do not remember them coming on at all. I have tried the re-setting procedure involving removing the powe… read more
Mac Genius,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi, I can keep my imac from shutting down, I turn it on and
Hi, I can' keep my imac from shutting down, I turn it on and within seconds is shuts up, what can I do?… read more
Mac Genius,
I have a Mac 10.5.8 and up until last night the computer has
I have a Mac 10.5.8 and up until last night the computer has run great. Last night the screen went black, my husband turned it back on after a few minutes. It booted and runs all the programs, but now… read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,
I have a G5 MAC . The cooling fan gets louder, and louder.
I have a G5 MAC . The cooling fan gets louder, and louder. What is wrong with my MAC? and can it be repaired?… read more
A loud fan is running on my mac. Can you help Model Name iMac
A loud fan is running on my mac. Can you help? Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac7,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 … read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,
my iMac fan runs when i turn it on and it apparently starts
my iMac fan runs when i turn it on and it apparently starts up in "sleep" mode, from which i can't "wake" it.… read more
Bob Cook
Bob Cook
My mac wont start up. For a while if I disconnected my LAcie
My mac won't start up. For a while if I disconnected my LAcie drive it started fine, now it often refuses to start without the drive attached… read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,