Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How do you put an audio file in PowerPoint on the Mac so that

it will play for the...
How do you put an audio file in PowerPoint on the Mac so that it will play for the whole presentation, not just on one slide, and also how to make it invisible and to start playing automatically when pps starts?
12/19/2012
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Office are you using ?

HI Ashik, I am using Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011, and want to keep it in this older one cos people don't always have the new one.

Sorry for the delay. Had to reinstall Power Point 2011 to check it. You have already managed to insert the sound. Now you just need to adjust some settings. Select the big audio icon on your slide (the inserted sound icon). Now you can see menu tabs in the top bar. Select Playback in there. Under Playback, select "Play Across Slides" for the Start option. You can enable "Hide During Show" if you don't want that big sound icon to be displayed on the slide.

You can adjust further settings there like Looping, Trimming etc. See the picture below;
graphic

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied and solved the problem.

HI Ashik, great, it plays automatically now, but slides are set up 4 5 seconds auto transitions, and it then just sits on the first slide.

My screen doesn't show the same as your example, I've attached a screen shot of my view. Please help.

I can't see the Screenshot, can you upload it www.wikisend.com and send me the download link ?
Wait..I can see it now. Let me know check it and I will let you know.

Cool! hope you can help

Under Format Audio, Under Start select Play Across Slides

Then click on the ‘Animations’ tab. Click on the ‘Reorder’ button. (You can change media animations there) Then click Media Options, change it to the number of slides you have. If you have 10 slides, then set 10 or 11 in there.

Did that work ?

If that didn't work, select Automatically under Start, then click on the ‘Animations’ tab. Click on the ‘Reorder’ button.

graphicThen click Media Options, change it to the number of slides you have. If you have 10 slides, then set 10 or 11 in there.

Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi there,
Thank you very much for the Rating and Bonus. Greatly appreciated it. If you have any questions, please feel free to askSmile

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Thanks so much Ashik, will definitely ask if I have more questions, but its all working great now. Not sure if you celebrate Christmas or not, but I hope you have a great festive season whatever your faith is, and an awesome 2013, God bless

Of course I do. Thanks so much...

Hi Ashik, hope you are having great weekend? A problem with the music links, is that even though I follow all the steps and it works, save it. Then the next day when I re-open, the icon is still there but the linking is gone. How do I embed the audio files, and even better, what do I need to combine all the music files into one audio and link it. What I am finding is the different speeds of computer processors, run the music quicker or and you land up with either silent slides or double music. The problem is, it is a Christmas Present for someone so I need to finish it by Monday absolute latest. I don't mind paying more for the answer as you have been so helpful - I really appreciate it.

Hi and Yes, thank you. The best option is, after creating the presentation, export it as a Movie file. Then it can be played on any computer or DVD Player without the need of Power Point application. Do you want help with that ?

There are several ways to join the audio files into single file. You can use this application to join the audios : http://join-together.en.softonic.com/mac

Let me know how it goes and I will be here for the next 7 hours.

Thanks so much Ashik, will let you know how it goes asap.

No Problem..Take your time :)
FYI There is a chance of files getting corrupted. So I'd recommend to backup your works to any external drives. Also, finalize the presentation to a Movie file and burn it to a DVD. So you don't have to worry about the Music sync problems. I'll help you with that if you need help.

Hi Ashik, the programme you sent the link for me says it can use the music files i have to merge into one, I must choose another, I don't want other songs. Do you know what the problem is? I purchased the songs, then changed the names for my use, but it doesn't even recognise other songs that I didn't change the name, and it doesn't give the option to choose your own files, apart from iTunes. I am still busy sticking the photos in. Are you by any chance working on Monday?

Yes, I do work all days in a week. You can get back to me anytime you want and I will stay with you until we sort this out.

Not sure why it is not working. If you have Garageband application on your Mac, then you can combine all musics into one and then import than single combined music to Power Point. You can find the Garageband in the Applications folder. See this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHr3n_rXwdQ

Let me know how it goes..

eish, let me try Garage Band, never used it before! Thanks a millionSmile

You're welcome :) Let me know how it goes..

Hi Ashik, I managed to use my laptop to create the GarageBand document, but it 243mb, and saves as a .band account, and it doesn't give the option of converting to .mp3, or anything else. What can I do to covert it and make it smaller? Wud really appreciate your assistance.

Hi there, In Garageband click on Share menu and select Export Song to Disk

In the export window, if you can see any options like "Compress Using :" then select MP3 Encoder in there and export it.

Hi Ashik, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it, but when I put it into the PowerPoint, it repeats the first song again and again. Have you any idea what I've done wrong? In Garage Band, I put the 2nd song over the end of the 1st song as there clapping - cud that have caused the problem?Cry

Not sure, Does the combined (exported from Garageband) mp3 plays file in Quicktime player ?

let me try it in iTunes and will let you know - will that work?

Yes, please let me know

HI Ashik, it plays fine in iTunes, but when I put it back in Powerpoint, it played, but even though I dragged the 2nd song over the end of the first song, it plays longer, but doesn't sound un-natural, so it will do, but if you are not sick of me, I will probably be calling on you tomorrow for final touching ups as it has to be ready for Christmas Day - eish! By the way, where are you based? Just wondered cos you also working on Sunday night.

Hi, You can get back to me any time you want and I'm more than happy to help you.

I'm India, it is almost 1 AM (IST) here

I do work day and night. I work till 2 AM most of all days.

Best Regards,
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,

Hi Ashik, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX had a good Christmas? Client wasn't happy with movie files, they want PowerPoint Show with embedded audio file, that doesn't get lost the whole time. Surely there must be a way to embed an audio file that I can save a show and it will retain the link. I am now moving on to pptx files, so hopefully that will help. But can you please let me know if there is anyway to embed the audio link in a PowerPoint Show?

Sorry for the delay. Power Point should emebed the files as default instead of linking it. We can check some settings whether they are correct or not. Click on the Home menu and select Preferences.

Now, can you send me the screenshow of your Preferences window ?

Hi Ashik, I figured out that you can only embed audio in pptx files, not ppt, so I am saving as pptx, and it seems to stick. I will get back to you if I still need help with it, and would really appreciate your help, then we can finish the job. Thanks & God bless

Anthea

Hi Anthea, I'm glad you figured it out. New Power Point can embed as well as link it. By default, it will embedd audio files less htan 50MB. Old Power Point (2008 or below) can only link it.

You can get back to me anytime you want and I will help you with the best I can.

Have a great day,

Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi there,

Best Regards,

Hi Ashik, this is probably a silly question. In PowerPoint, the last slide, I need names of people to scroll up and off the screen like in movies. I have typed the first box, and tried "Fly Up" at "very slow" and that works but is too fast. I have tried to draw a "motion path" and at its slowest it is far too fast. I tried "Rise Up" and that didn't work at all. I am sure the older PowerPoints used to have that animation option? What can I do to get all the names (over 100) to scroll up slow enough for

people to read but still to disappear with other names following. Can you help? NOT TO WORRY THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX IT!. SORRY TO WORRY YOU FOR NOTHING

Hi there, Sure, Set Motion path again. Goto Custom Animation, cick Effect Options. Then under the Timing tab, type the number of seconds in the Speed field. Let me know if that didn't work.

Best Regards,

Hi there, I noticed that you updated your post. I'm glad you sorted it out. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Technician