Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my iPad is non responsive i have tried restarting it all i

get is a slowly advancing...
my iPad is non responsive i have tried restarting it all i get is a slowly advancing gradient and i can't do an iTunes reset because i can't get in to it to unlock it
12/19/2012
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Few questions when you plug your ipad into the computer is iTunes showing the ipad also when you hold the home/sleep button does the red slider bar appear? How long have you tried to hold the two buttons.

Also if you plug the ipad into the wall charger does it only show a black screen or does a red battery logo appear?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan

nothing but the gradient. no logo no sliding bar no red battery

Well the first step we need to do is plug it into the wall charger not the Computer and let it charge for 20 minutes and then let me know if the red battery comes on.

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan

still nothing

Alright the last thing to try before I would say you need to send it into Apple is

Hold the home and Sleep buttons together for about a minute or until the Apple logo appears. If the Apple does not appear after a minute then you will need to contact Apple to have it repaired.

Since the battery is clearly not the problem and it does not show up in iTunes when you plug the iPad into the computer then the only other solution is to send it to Apple because at this point there is nothing that you can do yourself.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Please do not forget to rate the answer with one of the top three ratings.

Thank You, Dan
I see that you have given me a negative rating, may I ask why? The steps I have given and the information that I have given is true. I am not sure what else you are looking for at this point.

Let me know what I can do for to have you change the negative ratings as this affects my job?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan

sorry send it to apple is not a solution that solves my problem, It defers it and therefore i feel is not worth a positive rating, I had already charged it to get it up and running on my computer and in my opening question i said that iTunes would not allow me to do a factory reset with out unlocking it but because of the iPad being unresponsive i could not unlock it. A response that would have earned a positive rating for an expert would be more than is mentioned in the owners manual to fix every problem the iPad can exhibit

I understand that but there is only so much that I can do over the computer. Now when you try to do a restore what does the ipad do. I understand that you were not happy with the answer all you need to do was ask for a refund and I would have been glad to give that to you, there is no reason that you need to affect my job by giving me a negative rating.

Now when you plug the ipad and you click the ipad in the left column of itunes and click restore in the summary tab what Happens?

as soon as i plug it in i get a message box saying "iTunes can not connect because it is locked with a password. you must enter your password XXXXX the iPad before it can be used with iTunes" I however can't put in my password XXXXX i can't get my iPad to show anything more than a half screen gradient that cycles a few times then the back light goes back out

Alright here is what you need to do to get around the passcode.

First plug your iPad into your computer with iTunes running,

- Then do a forced reboot by holding the Sleep/Wake button and home screen button down for about 10 seconds.

- Once it starts rebooting let go off both buttons.

- As soon as your iPad reboots and the Apple logo appears, press and keep holding down the home screen button while you iPad keeps booting up.

- This forces your iPad to boot in a recovery mode.iTunes will now be able to connect to your iPad and you can now properly restore it.

Do this and let me know
Daniel, Mac Specialist

it appears mine is more than a software issue thanks for the help

Daniel, Mac Specialist