Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

HELLO, TECH, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A PROMPT THAT MY WORD DOCS

HELLO, TECH, I HAVE BEEN TOLD...
HELLO, TECH,

I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A PROMPT THAT MY WORD DOCS WON'T OPEN. I TEACH ONLINE, SO I MAY HAVE A VIRUS, I DON'T KNOW. HELP PLEASE.
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2012
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Word are you using ?

I guess it's 6.0.

That is not correct. Is it Word 2008 or 2011 ?

You know, I am not sure. Where do I find out?

Open Word, click on Word menu and select About Word. You can find the version number there

I can't open Word though.

What happens when you open Word ? Are you getting any errors ?

Yes. It says "Word unable to open.

Does this happens with Power Point and Excel too ?

I don't use them, so I don't know.

Just open it. Let me know if you are getting same error with it.

OK, I hope I don't lose you.

No, Did you got my last reply ? Open Power Point or Excel and are you getting the same error ?

I went into Office, and was able to open Presentation. Is that what I am supposed to do.

Yes, so the problem is with Word. In Power Point, click on Power Point menu and select About Power Point. What is the version of Power Point ?

Don't I access them via Office Org3?

Are you using Open Office ? I thought you are using Microsoft Office.

As I told you, I am very challenged here. I can create a doc via Office, but when I try to open my students' papers with Word, I can't.

At one point also, I got a prompt that said that Office had crashed. It was while I was working on one of their papers.

I understand, but to troubleshoot futher I need to know what Office application are you using. There are many Office applications i.e MS Office, Open Office and Neo Office. It seems like you are using Open Office.

Lets start troubleshooting. When did this problem started ?

Today, this afternoon. I was working on one of my student's papers, and then I received a prompt that said it had crashed. Since then, I have not been able to open any of their word docs, and most of them have been saved in a folder on my desktop in Word.

I have tried trying to change the Word doc to Text Edit so I can read their papers, and it usually lets me. I am going to check Office. What it said when I opened it is Office Org. 3.

Thanks for the info. What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac ?

It's 10.6.8.

Close Office applications. In your Mac, open your hard disk Macintosh HD and open Users folder. Open your Home folder. Open Library folder. Open Application Support folder. If you can find OpenOffice.org folder there,then trash it.

Then goto Macintosh HD > Users > Library > Preferences folder and trash the file org.openoffice.script.plist and also the org.openoffice.plist file from there

Then download and reinstall Open Office from here : http://www.openoffice.org/

Now open Office. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Hello, Ashik,

I got as far as the part where I go to the Preferences Folder to find the Org. Opne office.script.plist. I can't find this. ??

Ignore it. Did you found the Org.Openoffice.plist file there ?

I don't see anything re: Office. Also, in a step above, I never saw the Open Of. Org. Folder (that you said I might see) to trash.

Close Office applications. In your Mac, open your hard disk Macintosh HD and open Users folder. Open your Home folder. Open Library folder. Open Application Support folder. Can you find the Open Office folder there ?

OK. I can find the Open Office folder here--the way you suggest.

Trash it. Then goto Applications folder, open Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Click Verify Disk, then Repair Disk and then Repair Permission.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Well, Ashik, I get as far as Clicking Verify Disk, then I can't go to Repair Disk.

Does it reported any errors while verifying ?

No, no errors reported.

Then you don't have to Repair Disk. Repair Permission now. Let me know..

I am running Repair Permission, and it says it will take 34 mins, and it doesn't seem to budge from there. ????

Wait 5-10 minutes and let me know how it goes
If it is frozen, then force quit it by pressing Command + Option + Esc key. Let me know.

I have waited the alloted time. Nothing.

Force quit Disk Utikity by pressing Command + Option + Esc key. From Force Quit window, select Disk Utility and click Force Quit

It was not responding correctly. The curser just kept rotating. I had to shut computer down.

The command key is the shift key, right? I am frustrated, and it's not your fault.

I understand your frustration. The Comman key is the Alt key. Now, download and reinstall OpenOffice from here : http://www.openoffice.org/

I just checked one of the papers saved in Word, and I can open it.

Should I still install the link above?

If you are able to use Word, then No. No need to reinstall. Its all fixed..

You are a savior! What do I owe you?

Glad I could help you. If you are satisfied, please rate me as Excellent Service.

Make sure you add a bookmark of this page or print down the answer. So you can refer in the future if it happens again.

Happy Holidays,
Ashik, Mac Technician

Will do. You will get an excellent rating. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Happy Holidays to you too. I send you warm breezes, and

Aloha, :)

Dixie Durham

Thanks so much. Aloha :)

Ashik,

I don't have PayPal. Will they put the tip on my credit card I submitted?

Best and aloha,

Dixie

I think so. Thank you so much and I greatly appreciated the unexpected Tip. Please come back again if you need our help in future.

Merry Christmas to you and your family..Aloha,

I will indeed. You, too, Ashik. You have saved me. :)

I'm glad I could help you :)
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician