Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Have been unable to post photos from iphoto to Facebook for

Customer Question
a few days....
Have been unable to post photos from iphoto to Facebook for a few days.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
12/3/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Michelle, Mac Technician replied 4 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Michelle and I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information from you. When you click on Share in iphoto, is facebook grayed out?

Customer :

No, it just says check your internet connection and try again. I can write on Facebook, but can't post photos, so assume it is an iphoto issue.

Appleologist :

Thanks for the additional info. The first step in our troubleshooting process is making sure your software is up to date. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and click on software updates

Appleologist :

Let me know if there are any updates available

Customer :

Just itunes, which I rarely use. Should I install it?

Appleologist :

No, that is not necessary now since that does not relate to your current issue. You can do that later. We are going to reset iphoto (which does not delete any photos) and then we will repair your computers permissions. What operating system are you running?

Customer :

Safari

Appleologist :

I was referring to your computers operating system. To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Please read me the version number

Customer :

Version 10.6.8 / 2.4 GHz/2GB 667

Appleologist :

Lets begin with resetting iphoto. First, quit iphoto. Then open finder by clicking on the happy face icon in the dock. In the left column, you should see your account folder (house icon) click on it

Customer :

Don't know how to do this!

Appleologist :

Ok, lets take it step by step. Did you click on the finder icon yet? It is the smilie face icon in the dock

Customer :

Yes

Appleologist :

In the left column within finder, do you see your account name. It has a house icon

Customer :

Just lists all the applications; don't know where or how to put the smile.

Customer :

yes house icon is there

Appleologist :

Do you see Macintosh HD in the left column

Appleologist :

Ok, click on that.

Appleologist :

Within the house icon, you will see a library folder. Do you see it?

Customer :

Yes

Appleologist :

Ok click on the library folder. Within the library folder, you will see a preference folder

Customer :

Pressed preferences

Customer :

Now what

Appleologist :

Within the preference folder find, locate and delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist. You can delete this file by dragging it into the trash. Make sure iphoto is closed

Customer :

Too many; will look again

Appleologist :

Take your time. You will notice that it is alphabetical order

Customer :

Trashed com.appleiphotoplist

Appleologist :

Ok. Do you also see another plist file that contains iphoto in the file name?

Customer :

Dozens of plist files

Appleologist :

Do they contain the word iphoto in it?

Customer :

Will look

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer :

No files with photo in it. I need iphoto

Customer :

Please help

Appleologist :

Ok good. I just wanted to make sure you did not have more than one iphoto plist. You already deleted the necessary file. Now you can go ahead and empty the trash. Click on the trash can and then click on empty in the upper right corner

Customer :

Deleting over 8000 items

Appleologist :

Now we are going to repair your computers permission. It helps to correct problems with tasks that you were able to complete in the past. To do this, Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility Let me know when it is open

Customer :

Where do I do this? Where is disk utility?

Appleologist :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer :

Yes, I did this.

Appleologist :

Is disk utility open?

Customer :

Typed in the words. Says iphoto works.

Appleologist :

What says iphoto works?

Customer :

I was mistaken.

Appleologist :

Ok when you click on the magnifying glass, type in disk utility. When you see disk utility, open it

Appleologist :

If you can not open it by clicking on the magnifying glass, we can surely open up another way

Appleologist :

Are you still with me?

Appleologist :

Ok, lets open disk utility from finder. Can you open finder again by clicking on the smily face

Customer :

Yes, I see a new system profiler on the dock but not disk utility

Customer :

Yes, I'll find and then do what?

Appleologist :

Click on Applications in the left column

Customer :

Then what?

Appleologist :

Scroll down and locate the utilities folder. Within the utilities folder, you will see disk utility. Double click on it

Customer :

Yes, I did. Nothing happened. Will try again.

Customer :

did not work!

Appleologist :

Ok. Make sure you look in your dock to see if it is opened. It has a hard drive with stethoscope

Customer :

Trying!

Customer :

pressed twice.

Appleologist :

Try to right click on it and choose open. If you can not right click, press and hold the control key and then click on disk utility

Customer :

Did this and can't find disk utility

Appleologist :

Is it that you can not find disk utility or you can can not open disk utility

Customer :

Put it on my dock but can't find it/

Appleologist :

You do no need to put it on your dock. Just double click it to open it. Go back to your applications folder

Customer :

Going back

Customer :

Now what

Appleologist :

Click on the utilities folder

Appleologist :

within applications

Customer :

Nothing happens

Appleologist :

When you click on the utilities folder within applications, do you see other applications?

Customer :

Pressed on it; asked it to open

Appleologist :

so you were able to find disk utility within the utilities folder correct?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Believe so

Appleologist :

And double clicking on it does not open it correct

Customer :

Yes

Appleologist :

When you click on the utilities folder, do you see a list of other applications?

Customer :

Yes off to the right side

Appleologist :

Notice disk utilities icon and Look on your dock. Do you see the same icon on your dock?

Customer :

Yes, it's on my dock

Appleologist :

Ok, that means it is already open. click on it to bring the page forward. You may also need to move pages out of the way to see it

Customer :

Shall we consider this fixed?

Appleologist :

We have one more step that needs to be done within disk utility

Customer :

Click on disk utility on my dock?

Appleologist :

Yes

Customer :

Asks me to select a disk, but I have nothing to add right now. Thanks for your help.

Appleologist :

Can you open iphoto

Appleologist :

You will see your macintosh HD in the left column

Appleologist :

that is the disk that you need to select. We are actually almost done, you just need to select macintosh HD in the left column

Customer :

Yes, I pressed macIntosh HD

Appleologist :

Ok great. Now at the bottom you will see Repair permissions

Appleologist :

click on that

Appleologist :

It will begin to repair your permission issues

Customer :

Looking for repair permissions

Appleologist :

It is right underneath the white box

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Here is the illustration

Customer :

Can't find it

Appleologist :

Did you click on the picture that I sent you

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Customer :

I cannot find it!

Appleologist :

Ok, lets put this on hold for a minute. Do not close disk utility. Lets see if iphoto will work without repairing the permission. Open iphoto

Customer :

I cant find it!

Appleologist :

Can't find what? iphoto?

Appleologist :

Open iphoto

Appleologist :

ok

Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician