Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have accidentally trashed microscope Office:Mac 2011 or at

Customer Question
least entourage and word....
I have accidentally trashed microscope Office:Mac 2011 or at least entourage and word. How can I get it back. I have redownloaded Office:mac, but it didn't help. Can I give you access to my computer so you can see where things are?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
12/3/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 5 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Done

Ok Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Processor 2.8 GHz Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1333 Mhz

Ok

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

Repair complete, but didn't seem to need it

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so:

Ok now reinstall Office:

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial
Don't open any Office apps yet go to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/ double click on Microsoft AutoUpdate.app and install any updates

Done. It says: You can't opent the application Microsoft AutoUpdate because it may be damaged or incomplete.

done

Did it update? Keep doing it until it says there are no more updates

ok i will

When that is done try opening Word

The word icon is not in the dock. In its place is a sideward A which does not open either from the dock or the finder. Before I asked contacted you, word mostly worked, but was having troubles with the Review bar. I have nothing now, but a dancing "A"

Can I give you access to my computer so you can do what needs doing?

No sorry I can't do that. Open Macintosh HD then Applications then Microsoft Office 2011 folder double click on the Word icon

W icon is not in dock. In its place is a sidewards A--looking like an applications file. I tried the above, it didn't change anything. Still no W in the dock.

The problem was that I accidently trashed some important info, I guess, because that's when it all started.

What now?

The Dock is not important you can always change that, those are only shortcuts to the actual apps. So you can't open Word by double clicking on the Microsoft Word icon in the folder Microsoft Office 2011 in Applications?

I attempted clicking on the Word icon. Nothing.

I did as you suggested. Nothing comes up from clicking on the application in the finder. Now what?

Did the Auto update run until there where no more updates? What happened when you clicked on the Word icon?

Nothing. The icon on the dock--which is only a capital A bounced for a while. Nothing new happened.

Shall we start over with a restart etc?

Did the Auto update run until there where no more updates or what?

Yes.

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php

To review. I must have trashed some important office plugins or something. Can I retrieve them from the trash and drag them somewhere?

If you reinstalled then they should have been put back. please run the Maintenence program

I'm running maintenance. The finder is in the dock, but does not open anymore; however, the maintenance "fixing disk" seems to have booted

Fixing Dish Permissions is running running running . . . Is anything happening? I couldn't check the box "Display of Folders" because it was not highlighted. Do I just wait now that maintanance is running? Does this take a while?

What do you think happened to my finder? The finder icon is in the dock, but I can't open it from there or from the system either??

"The finder is in the dock, but does not open anymore" makes no sense to me at all, the Finder is open all of the time it is your Desktop. I think you should go over this:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

maintenance programme is completed.

I have restarted etc

now what?

Go to Applications / Utilities and open Terminal, copy and paste this and hit return then try opening Word:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

Went to Applications; then to utiilties, then opened terminal. Terminal is this square box. There is no place to paste in the info, nor is there a place to hit return. Am I in the wrong place? If so, explain.

Are you with me?

Return is a key on your keyboard, there would not be a "place " in Terminal to do that, and there is ONLY one place to paste at the command prompt right after the $ sign:

I actually did paste behind $ sign, and I entered it. Nothing. Tried it several times:

Here's what it says:

Last login: Sun Dec 2 21:09:42 on ttys000
Galbraith-MacBook:~ evelyngalbraith$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
rm: /Users/evelyngalbraith/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist: No such file or directory
Galbraith-MacBook:~ evelyngalbraith$

Just wondering if you are still with me?

Hello?

I suggest you reinstall your system:

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. Then if all ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X from the menu

So far, I've followed your directions to a T. Isn't working. Can I access you tomorrow? How?

Yes sorry I had to sign off. You reinstalled the system?
Mike, Mac Medic