Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I tried to update my 3s iPhone to the new operating system,

but my phone was not...
I tried to update my 3s iPhone to the new operating system, but my phone was not plugged into my computer. My phone will not work at all. What can I do?
12/3/2012
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist

Sorry to hear that your iphone is not working now...:(

Don't worry. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue. We will start with a simple reset and if that does not work, we will try the restore.

On the iphone, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo (The iphone will turn off and come back on with an apple in 10-15 sec).

Let me know whether this resolves your issue. If not, we will try the next step.

Please don't rate my service until we have completed the troubleshooting.

Thank You
Vinod

DId not work. Apple logo comes on and goes off. Thats all.

Let's now try the restore.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the iphone. Now, on the iphone, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

your computer will now give a message that it has detected an iphone in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Restore the iphone now and finally select the option "restore from backup".

Let's see whether this helps.

Note: In recovery mode, your iphone screen would be showing a USB cable and an itunes logo. It might take several attempts to place the iphone into recovery mode.

Nothing showed up on the computer I am using a Windows Operating System. Does that matter?

It does not matter which computer you are using. The only problem which we will face is on placing the iphone into recovery mode.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the iphone. Now, on the iphone, press and hold the power button and the home button together for EXACTLY 7-8 sec. At 7-8 sec, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Let's see whether it goes into recovery mode.

I click on restore on the iTunes page and it says it is downloading the software. 8 minutes remaining .

Can I get all my information (contacts etc) back after the restore

I hope it will be there, but cannot be guaranteed. It all depends on whether the data was in your device prior to the restore.

Usually, itunes will backup the iphone just before the restore.

So after the restore is complete, you will get two options - whether to restore from backup or to set up as a new iphone.

Click on "restore from backup". Hopefully all your data would be in the latest backup.

Got a message that said error occured could not restore.

Do you have any error code associated with it? like 1, 1015 etc
Do you have any error codes associated with it? like 1, 1015 etc.

Since we need to restore the phone to make it working again, let's try these steps. If one step does not resolve the issue, try the next.

1. Try connecting the iphone to different USB ports and then try a restore.

2. Turn off the antivirus and firewall in your computer and then try the restore.

3. If that does not work, and if you have a different computer with itunes installed, try restoring from that.

Let me know.

I have an apple computer with an iTunes account but my computer doesn't know her phone Can I still restore

you can restore from the mac computer. The only risk is since you are restoring from a cross platform, it might delete all the contents in the iphone. The restore from backup option may not be there.

Before going for that, try the first two steps I have given in the previous reply. Also, try updating your itunes and then try the restore.

If you get any specific error codes, let me know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I got an error code of 3194

error 3194 usually happens if the itunes is not updated.

Update the itunes.

Open itunes. Click on help menu at the top (where it shows file, edit, view, controls etc).

Click on Help > check for updates.

Update the itunes and then try to restore the iphone.

I did the upstates and the phone is plugged into the computer but not sure the phone has enough power and can't plug into wall plug and computer at the same time

You can keep the phone connected to the computer and try the restore again.

If your phone is not having enough charge, let it be connected to the computer for 10 minutes. Then try the restore.

The phone seems to have restored. Wants to know now if I want it restored as a new phone or as a previous back-up and lists someone else iPhone

Try restoring from the latest backup listed.

That is the only chance we can get all your previous contents back

Do you have an answer

Did not you get my last reply??

I will type it again

That is my phone not hers

Oh ok.

It means two things - either your phone was using her backup until now or your backup might have been lost...:(

Don't you have a different backup with today's timestamp just before the restore? If you have use that.

Otherwise, try her backup and see whether that has all your contents.

If not; set it up as a new phone..:(

She doesn't have a back-up she will have to sync it to Her computer. We have been using my apple computer

I am a bit confused, sorry.

Let me check some settings.

When you click on "restore from backup", do you have any backups listed there?

Yes my iphone not hers I have my own Mac computer and own itunes account. She has a windows computer and her own itunes account. Her phone is currently plugged into my computer.

So whose phone was having the update issue? Her phone or yours?

Hers. She tried to update her operating system without being plugged into her computer I'm trying to help her. She is not very computer literate

Since yours is the only backup listed there, try restoring from your backup.

Sometimes while setting up her phone, she might have used your phone's backup.

So after the restore, if you find that her phone has your information (which you want to hide from her or something), restore the phone again and this time set it up as a new phone.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist