Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a 2010 Mac mini with 5 gigs of RAM installed. For the

Customer Question
past year, often when I...
I have a 2010 Mac mini with 5 gigs of RAM installed. For the past year, often when I select a menu, I am unable to scroll down the menu using the mouse. The menu opens but I am unable to do anything else with it. Also, sometimes I type a word and instead of the word I get a series of numbers instead. I believe this happens mostly on when I'm on the Internet though. I have been to the genius bar at the Apple store with no success.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
12/2/2012
Mac Support Specialist: jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is John and I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together.

jstinehelfer :

Good Morning

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Good morning John

jstinehelfer :

Would you be able to tell me what the Genius Store did to help you so I do not duplicate troubleshooting

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

They repaired the disk permissions and I believe they verified the hard disk. I did the same a week later at home.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

By the way, my name is Yaya.

jstinehelfer :

Nice to meet you Yaya

jstinehelfer :

Let me ask a few questions here

jstinehelfer :

You say this is only happening when your searching the Internet?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

No. I have an external hard drive. Whenever I right click on the hard drive the menu appears but I cannot select anything from the menu. Whenever I right click my internal hard drive I get the same results. This is random though. If I right click a few times afterwards, I will be able to select items in the contextual menu. When I'm on the Internet, sometimes I will type a word and instead of the word I type I get a series of random numbers.

jstinehelfer :

Are you using an apple mouse and keyboard or some off brand mouse and keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Apple keyboard, Logitech optical mouse that I have successfully used for years.

jstinehelfer :

Do you know if they did a disk repair from the Mac OSX install disk?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I did yesterday.

jstinehelfer :

Have you created a new user and test the outcome in the new user?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

No.

jstinehelfer :

Do you know what version of Mac OSX you are using?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OSX software about six months ago with the same results, immediately after formatting and reinstalling. OSX 10.6.8

jstinehelfer :

So the problem still was happening before you did a reinstall and after the install correct?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Yes. If my hard drive was defective in some way would disk utility see this?

jstinehelfer :

Yes it should of I would think

jstinehelfer :

Well you seem to have tackled this from all angles. The only thing left is to try a different keyboard and mouse if you can.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I have even tried another mouse. Not an apple mouse but nonetheless a functioning mouse and still the same results.

jstinehelfer :

Ok let me see if I can research this for a moment please.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Ok.

jstinehelfer :

Have you tried to reset the PRAM and NVRAM?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Yes.

jstinehelfer :

When you did disk repair from the osx disk did you repair it or just verify the drive?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Yesterday I verified and repaired it from the OSX installation disk.

jstinehelfer :

After you installed OSX did it happen right away or did it take some time before it started back up?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Happened right away.

jstinehelfer :

Is your mouse plugged in to the Mac mini or the keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

By right away, I mean with 10 minutes.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Keyboard as always.

jstinehelfer :

Do you have an available USB port on the Mac mini where you can plug it straight to the mac mini instead of the keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Been there, done that. Same results.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

You see I have tried everything, that's why I'm writing to an expert.

jstinehelfer :

This is a unique problem I will say.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I wasn't expecting that response.

jstinehelfer :

There is only two things I know to try here honestly

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I was hoping that this would be a known issue and that their would be a solution. What are your two thingsY

jstinehelfer :

Have you booted to safe mode and tried it in safe mode

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

No, but even if I do and it works what does that mean, that I have to work in safe mode?

jstinehelfer :

No not at all. If you boot to safe mode and it works then something that has been installed is interfering with your keyboard and mouse

jstinehelfer :

The other thing to try is to remove the plist files for both of these devices and reconnect them and see if this fixes the problem

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Ok, which should I try first?

jstinehelfer :

Lets work on the plist files first

jstinehelfer :

but I need the mouse to be connected to its on usb port first not in to the keyboard

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

ok one moment.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I'm ready.

jstinehelfer :

Ok we are going to do the keyboard first

jstinehelfer :

Go a head and unplug the keyboard for me

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

ok

jstinehelfer :

With the keyboard unplugged I want you to click on Finder

jstinehelfer :

Then your HD

jstinehelfer :

Then the library folder

jstinehelfer :

Then the Preference folder

jstinehelfer :

There should be a file named

jstinehelfer :

com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

jstinehelfer :

I want you to click and drag that out of the preference folder and put it on your desktop

jstinehelfer :

Once you have that done I need you to plug back in the keyboard

jstinehelfer :

The computer will see a new hardware and create a new plist file

jstinehelfer :

The Keyboard Setup Assistant will launch automatically. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the keyboard

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

the "com.apple.keyboardtype.plist" file is on my desktop but another one was not created in the prefereces folder nor did Keyboard Setup Assistant launch.

jstinehelfer :

did you plug the keyboard back in?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Yes, how else could I be typing this message. I don't have a wireless keyboard.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I followed your instructions to the "T".

jstinehelfer :

let me check something one moment

jstinehelfer :

I wonder if there is another location as well for the keyboard

jstinehelfer :

~user\Library\Preferences

jstinehelfer :

are you able to find the com.apple.keyboardtype.plist in ~user\Library\Preferences

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

This file is not in my user preferences file.

jstinehelfer :

I wanted to be sure to make sure it was not hiding somewhere else.

jstinehelfer :

So lets work on the mouse next

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

ok

jstinehelfer :

I want you to look in both places as we did the keyboard for the file

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

ok

jstinehelfer :

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse

jstinehelfer :

if you find them then drag to the desktop as well

jstinehelfer :

after this i want you to reboot the computer and meet me back here when your done.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I don't see this file in either place.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

My mouse is a Logitech brand though.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Are you there?

jstinehelfer :

yes I am here

jstinehelfer :

I looked up the logictech and that was the file given to me

jstinehelfer :

let me look again

jstinehelfer :

do you see any plist file in there with mouse in it?

jstinehelfer :

what model of logictech do you have?

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

MN:M-BT96a

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

No, I don't see any file with mouse in it.

jstinehelfer :

ok I am looking on the logitech site now

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I've just search my computer for the work "mouse" and there's no file with that word.

jstinehelfer :

and I am not seeing an updated driver for this mouse on the logitech support site either

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Nothing with Logitech either.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Ok, well we've been at this for an hour and I don't believe this issue is going to be resolved here.

jstinehelfer :

I notice that the model you are using is considered a legacy device. I am very curious if you could borrow a newer mouse and try it if this will fix the problem

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I have tried a newer device. I have 3 computers.

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

I appreciate your efforts John, but I would only pay if you resolved my issue and you haven't.

jstinehelfer :

Well i can open this up to another expert. Stand by

JACUSTOMER-zv1699te- :

Is someone else going to assist me.

Mike, Mac Medic