Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Have iPad Retina. Am trying to use with AAXA P4X pico projector.

Customer Question
Have mini HDMI cable from...
Have iPad Retina. Am trying to use with AAXA P4X pico projector. Have mini HDMI cable from projector to Lightning Digital AV Adapter. Video shows OK on iPad screen until hooked up, then says "TV connected, this video is playing on the TV. Projector image is blue background with "no signal" box showning. Must be a setting problem. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Has the projector ever worked in the past?

Have you tested it with another computer or device?

Tap Settings - Software Update. Is the iPad software up to date?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
David.

Have not tested with other computer, but can do that easily. IPad is brand new and software is up to date as far as I can tell. Will try to connect to other computer now.

Projector is new. Have not used it at all. Remote control does not work, even though battery OK and battery protector removed. Will check iPad software again. Did not connect with USB connector on iMac, by the way and just checked and iPad software is up to date.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is the link to the manual just in case we need to refer to it:
http://www.aaxatech.com/pdf/P4X.pdf

Let me know how it goes with the computer.

Thank you,
David.

Have printed manual and will check this out.

Excellent. The section needed is connecting by HDMI, and it says to select it in the main menu before powering on the iPad.

So power off iPad by holding the Sleep/Wake button on the top, then slide the red slider. Connect it to the projector. Select HDMI in the main menu on the projector. Power on the iPad.

Let me know if you get any issues.

Thanks,
David.

Did all that and still no response. Will try again after disconnecting all cables again.

OK, let me know.

Also have you another HDMI screen, TV or Projector to test this setup with?

Thanks,
David.

Will try on a TV. Check with me in about 15 min.

No problem, let me know when you are ready to continue.

Best regards,
David.

Have connected iPad to TV with HDMI and am playing video from the iPad with success

That means the projector is working, and the cable.

Now connect with the iPad, select the HDMI setting on the projector, and reset the iPad.

To reset, press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button until the iPad restarts.

Does it still say no signal on the projector?

Thanks,
David.

Wait. This was a check for output from the iPad, as I used regular HDMI cable and connected TV to the IPad Lightning Digital AV Adapter. The AAXA projector and mini HDMI cable were not involved. Have charger topping up the projector and will try to connect again to projector with the miniHDMI cable. Seems that problem is either of these.

I'm not sure why you use a different cable for the projector. The projector looks like a standard HDMI port.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,
David.

Projector requires a mini HDMI at its end but Lightning Digital AV adapter has a regular HDMI port, so I had to buy a special cable.

This seems to be the unknown part of the connection.

Do you have the box of the cable? Does it have a maker and model maybe?

Sincerely,
David.

Cable is PNY HDMI Smart Active Cable with HDMI Mini to HDMI.

If you haven't tried, try resetting the iPad with it connected.

If it is the same then is there anything you can test this cable with?

Then you can tap Settings - Reset - Reset All Data and Settings. Have a backup made by syncing it first.

Let e know how this goes.

Thanks,
David.

Still, no signal when tried to project video with cable hooked up and both units running. I guess that I will take cable back for replacement first and then, if that does not work, send projector back to Amazon for replacement. Resetting did no good.

I don't think that the projector has any problem, I think it is the cable. Maybe this will work with a different brand cable. I would take the project and iPad to the store and find the right cable that way.

Let me know if I can help in any follow up questions.

Sincerely,
David.

Thanks. Will try with different brand cable and will check in store.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know.

Regards,
David.

Well, David. The AAXA site had the cable for a lot less than the local Fry's so I ordered one. Will take cable back to Fry's tomorrow, Will let you know the outcome when new cable arrives. Do we finish now and re-connect or leave open?

We can leave it open, and I can check with you tomorrow evening.

Sincerely,
David.
Hi Larry,

Did you try with a new cable? Did you take both to the store to check?

Let me know if we can continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Returned cable to Frys and ordered cable from projector company (actually about $10 less). Waiting for cable to arrive. Will let you know.
Hi Larry,

Perfect, let me know when you are ready.

Sincerely,
David.
Hi Larry,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did you get the new cable yet?

Best regards,
David.

Still have not received cable. Hope it comes today. Will let you know when it is tested. Thanks.

No problem, thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
David.

Hello David,

I received an HDMI mini to HDMI cable that works today, and am able to project videos with sound from the "Video" setting zone of my iPad. These were downloaded onto my iMac and two needed to be converted with Wondershare Video Converter but they show well on iPad and project. I did purchase and download a video via an "Amazon Instant Video" app and am able to view that on the iPad but for some strange reason, it will not project beyond the display on the iPad. When I select "Watch Now", the image displays on the iPad but the projector does not project the same image. I can switch back to a video in the "Videos" section and they project OK. Moreover, the projector remote does not work and the image is not real sharp at 6 1/2 feet on a real projection screen (yes, I did remove the plastic lens cover tape). These latter problems may require return and replacement, but does not explain the lack of projection from Amazon Instant Video app. On top of all this, iMac and iPad and not recognizing each other when connected, even though I have tried all recommended suggestions such as updates on iTunes, and restarting both.Please advise.

Hi Larry,

I have an inkling the reason for the issue video from Amazon and digital rights management, and HDMI.

I would rather start with why your iPad is not recognized if that's OK with you. I will need to research the particulars of the Amazon video.

Have you tried other iPad cables?

Do other USB devices function in the same port?

Is it the port on the computer and not a hub or a keyboard or display?

Do you have an iPhone, iPod or other iOS device that does or does not appear in iTunes?

You may need to put the iPad in Recovery Mode to have it show up in iTunes. First though try resetting it when it is connected to the computer. Press and hold Home and Sleep/Wake until it resets.

Sincerely,
David.

Off and on with iPad and changed cable and iPad now shows up on iMac iTunes page. But when I access Wondershare Video Converter to see if a video needs to be converted, the iPad does not show up on the iTunes connection on that app.

Hi Larry,

The Amazon Instant Video downloads are digitally protected with HDCP technology, to enforce usage rights. You are licensed to view on the device only, and this is enforced by HDCP which is digital rights management built-in to HDMI.

There is more on what HDCP is and does here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Here are the Terms of Use for Amazon Instant Video:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200026970

Any content not protected by HDCP will be OK over HDMI.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
David.

OK, then the kids will have to gather around, because it is a children's video on Amazon Instant Video. Good to learn this now. Thanks. I'll probably have to return/exchange the projector. Let's keep this string open until I get it finished, OK? May take week or 2 before get this done.

Hi Larry,

No worries, get back yo me when you can.

Regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist