Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my 15 inch macbook pro does not load on start. The spinning

circle keeps on spinning only....
my 15 inch macbook pro does not load on start. The spinning circle keeps on spinning only.
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2012
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

When you started with cmd+tab+r+p+start button, did you get two startup chimes?

You should hold Cmd + Alt + P +R after pressing the power button. Then you should hear two chimes.

Let me know if you can hear two chimes with those keys.

Kind regards,
David.

yes done that but then screen goes black and then back into the apple load page and spinning wheel again.

There's plenty more we can try. Next try Safe Mode.

Hold shift at startup until you see the spinning gear.

SafeMode also checks the disk in the background, and therefore takes a long time to start this way. Give it 10-15 minutes.

If it doesn't start, then shutdown again. Start and hold Alt.

What do you see with Alt held?

Thanks,
David.

i had to use start + alt. i see my mac hd icon and a recovery hd icon. underneath is choose network button

Choose Recovery partition, then Disk Utility.

Then select Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk.

Let me know what errors it gives.

Thanks,
David.

it says taht the volume macintosh hd appears to be okay.

Now run Repair Permissions, and let me know if there are any errors.

Thanks,
David.

Restart normally, and if it doesn't start, shutdown again, and boot holding Alt.

Select Recovery, and select reinstall Mac OS X.

It will take some time, depending on how fast your Internet connection is.

Let me know if you get any problems.

Regards,
David.

will I lose data this way?

This step only reinstalls Mac OS X system files. It only replaces the System and Library folders, and doesn't affect anything inside the Users folder at all.

That being said, the integrity of you data cannot be determined now, and you will only know if it is OK by booting up. Which you can only do if you reinstall Mac OS X.

The chances of losing the data are very small, but it is a small chance.

If you do not have a backup, and the data is too important to take even this minute risk with, you can try to back up the contents of the disk using another Mac to connect it with. Do you have another Mac that has FireWire, and a FireWire cable for connecting the two?

Regards,
David.

Its more important to restore the system at this time. I am going to try reinstalling the OS

Excellent, and the reinstall is very selective, and will only write the OS to the disk, leaving everything else unaffected.

Also this new way to reinstall puts the latest version on your Mac, so you won't have issues with version mismatches that come from installing a previous version.

Let me know if you get any problems.

Regards,
David.
Hi Gavin,

Did those steps work? Does all your software work OK after the Recovery?

Let me know if it gave you any problems.

Regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
David, Mac Support Specialist