Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

when trying to open ebay.com, i get a 403 forbidden message

when trying to open ebay.com...

when trying to open ebay.com, i get a 403 forbidden message on firefox or ebay in chinese on safari. it is not a network issue cause i do not have this issue on my pc computer. i am on ebay a lot but cannot work it from my mac, which is annoying. does not do this with other websites'

11/22/2012
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know what happens if you setup a new user account on the Mac and login as that user?

Steve Herrod :

If you go to Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Accounts

Steve Herrod :

Click on the Padlock to make changes and then the + icon to add the new account

Steve Herrod :

once created, restart and login as the new user and test Ebay

Steve Herrod :

that should indicate where the issue lies

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

ok let me check

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

sorry, had to log off thn back on

Steve Herrod :

that's ok

Customer:

so far works with safari - no text in chinese but downloading now firefox to se if works there too

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

well, seems you fix it - so my others userrs will stay "infected"?

Steve Herrod :

there may be some corruption of preference files on the other user accounts

Steve Herrod :

I would try a Reset of Safari on the account with an issue to see if that helps?

Customer:

i see - i ll try that - thanks. at least now i can work :-)

Steve Herrod :

No problem :)

Customer:

enjoy thanksgiving :-)

Steve Herrod :

you too

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist

still the issue rise - just got ebay in chinese again :-(

Thanks - is that on the new account or the original account?

Cheers

Steve

on the new account user we have created

and it does it on both - 403 forbidden on safari and ebay in chinese on firefox, both with the new user you made me create

Thanks - it might be worth checking some DNS settings, quick question are you with Verizon?

cheers

Steve

yes, with verizon

Thanks -ok, can you follow the details below to get the Mac to use Google's DNS servers and see how that goes?

1. From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, then click Network.
  2. If the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, select Airport, and click Advanced.
  4. Select the DNS tab.
  5. Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  6. Click Apply and OK.

Let me know how that goes

Cheers

Steve

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist