Mac

I am about to upgrade my iMac5,1 to 3GB of RAM. Currently I…

I am about to upgrade...
I am about to upgrade my iMac5,1 to 3GB of RAM. Currently I am on OSX 10.6.8. What version of OSX can I upgrade to with this iMac? What would be the steps I would have to follow to achieve this? The iMac has "Intel Core 2 Duo" with 2GHz processor.... Read full answer
I am about to upgrade my iMac5,1 to 3GB of RAM. Currently I am on OSX 10.6.8. What version of OSX can I upgrade to with this iMac? What would be the steps I would have to follow to achieve this? The iMac has "Intel Core 2 Duo" with 2GHz processor.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2012
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

It depends what OS you already have.

Click the Apple in the top left, and About This Mac.

What does it say version of OS X is?

Thanks in advance,
David.

10.6.8 as I said in my question

Very sorry about that, I found your iMac in my database, but totally missed that you gave me the version already.

You can only upgrade to Lion, not Mountain Lion, but only if you have purchased it before as it is no longer on the Mac App store.

Have you purchased it before?

No I have not. This used to be my wife's machine running Leopard. I moved it to 10.6.8 as I am trying to run Photoshop Elements 10. It requires a version of iPhoto between 8.0 and 8.1.2. What version of iPhoto or iLiffe can I run on Lion? Is it possible to buy Lion OSX from somewhere other than Apple?

While it is not possible to purchase Lion anywhere else, you can still install the latest version of iPhoto.

You can purchase a Retail box of all iLife'11, or the individual iPhoto application from the Mac App store.

Let me know which one you would like to try/

Sincerely,
David.

I think I will go with the iPhoto only as I do not use the other applications in iLiffe. I have to check with Adobe first to make sure that Elements 10 will work OK with the latest version of iPhoto. Thanks for your help

I can tell you that it will, you can check it here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/photoshop-elements-iphoto-mac-os.html

Please let me know if you have any questions on this, even if it is after a couple of days, I will gladly continue to help.

Please take a moment to rate my answer, but if not satisfied please let me know instead of rating.

Sincerely,
David.

That will do fine thanks Dave. Where do I rate your answer?

I did try and install the latest version of iPhoto but according to the system requirements it needs 10.7.5 or later. Catch 22. I am 10.6.8 and you say I can not buy Lion so this seems to leave me with no options.

iLife'11on disc is Snow Leopard compatible, the old version:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am unable to open Safari. A message appeared regarding
I am unable to open Safari. A message appeared regarding settings and asked if I wanted to use the new setting or stay with the old settings. I clicked on the new settings, and now cannot open Safari.… read more
Support Technician,
I have an older MacBook (purchased in 2009) and it's
Hi, I have an older MacBook (purchased in 2009) and it's running on Mac OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard. I've backed everything up to an external hard drive and reset so it has a good amount of space… read more
I Have: Photosmart D110 series Service ID: 21090 FW Version:
I Have: Photosmart D110 series Service ID: 21090 FW Version: TULL1FN1151AR Serial Number: CN12GG101N05N9 Driver Version: HP Inkjet 1 Driver 3.2.1 Product Number CN731A IP Address 10.0.1.2 Overview on … read more
Senior Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
I make music on the DAW Ableton live. Just recently for no
I make music on the DAW Ableton live. Just recently for no reason everything just got drastically slower. I even maxed out my RAM and not a huge difference. The CPU use meter in Ableton is maxed out m… read more
Senior Engineer,
I have an Imac 2GHZ Intel Core Duo with OS 10.6.8 I want
I have an Imac 2GHZ Intel Core Duo with OS 10.6.8 I want to upgrade my Iphoto '08 version 7.1.5 so that I can order Calendars from Apple. What iphoto version will be an upgrade but still compatible wi… read more
Senior Engineer,
I HAVE A MACBOOK, YEAR UNKOWN, CURRENTLY IT HAS OS X 10.6.8
I HAVE A MACBOOK, YEAR UNKOWN, CURRENTLY IT HAS OS X 10.6.8 2GHz INTEL CORE DUO, 2GB 667 MHz FFR2 SDRAM. I'VE TRIED TWICE TO UPGRADE TO LION AND IT WOULDN'T TAKE IT! ( I'VE SEEN OTHER USED ONES ON EBA… read more
Apple Consultant,
Two Decades Field Experience
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a Mac Mini, with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8. Processor
I have a Mac Mini, with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8. Processor 2.4 GH Intel Core 2 Duo and the Memory is 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3. I just bought an Ipad Mini and I want to set up an Icloud, but I dont have an I… read more
Support Specialist,
I have a friend who is trying to sell me her : The Mac is
I have a friend who is trying to sell me her : The Mac is OS X version 10.6.8 Processor 2.53 GHz intel core duo Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Startup disk Macintosh HD I am a pro photographer who currentl… read more
Network & System Administrator,
I have recently moved from a windows system to an old iMac.
I have recently moved from a windows system to an old iMac. I believe it is a late 2006 model. The processor is "Intel Core 2 Duo" with 1GB Ram and a 2GHz processor. I have installed Photoshop Element… read more
Brian
Brian
Apple Consultant. FileMaker Developer.,
Some college
Hi, John, I have a Mac OS X, Version 10.4.11 (with a processor
Hi, John, I have a Mac OS X, Version 10.4.11 (with a processor that is 2GHz intel core 2 duo and memory of 1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM I would like to upgrade the system. What are my options? Thanks a bunc… read more
Tom
Tom
3 years college
I have an I mac Mac OSX version 10.5.8 I would like to upgrade
I have an I mac Mac OSX version 10.5.8 I would like to upgrade to OSX Mountain Lion and I Cloud. Can I do this? If so, how do I do this?… read more
Hello! My name is Igor! Ive problem to instal OS X Lion over
Hello! My name is Igor! I've problem to instal OS X Lion over Snow Leopard. I think some thing with my system.… read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and am trying to open iPhoto 9.0 it
I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and am trying to open iPhoto 9.0 it is calling for the latest upgrade. I installed all the items in the upgrade file. iPhoto is still calling for the latest upgrade. I went to … read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
Have Photoshop cs on a iMac ,Crashing when trying to save image...
Have Photoshop cs on a iMac ,Crashing when trying to save image... recently repaired permissions on disc with snow leopard.... worked for a day or so, now... can't do a thing... HELP Model Identifier:… read more
I just purchased Light Room 4 and downloaded it on my Mac OS
I just purchased Light Room 4 and downloaded it on my Mac OS X 10.6.5. However, when I tried to open it, it said it wasn't possible because it wasn't compatible with my computer. What do I need? I can… read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
Hello, My iMac compoter us Version 10.5.8 and 2GHz
Hello, My iMac compoter us Version 10.5.8 and 2GHz Intel Core Duo. I wanted to upgrade so I bought 2GB kit from http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%202.0GHz%20Intel%20Core%20Duo%… read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
Wow. I didnt know Mac computers can freeze! I am getting
Wow. I didn't know Mac computers can freeze! I am getting really frustrated as my iMac 20" 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo is getting very used to hanging especially after 10 mins. I don't know if it is Firefox… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Electrician / Programmer / Sound design,
My relatively old Mac (bought Dec 2006) uses OSX 10.4.11.
My relatively old Mac (bought Dec 2006) uses OSX 10.4.11. I have just bought the Mac Box Set to upgrade to Snow Leopard. During installation I find I have insufficient RAM to support my attempt at an … read more