Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have an iMac. I am trying to open iMovie. this dialogue pops

up "The previous attempt to...
i have an iMac. I am trying to open iMovie. this dialogue pops up
"The previous attempt to open this movie failed, do you want to ignore it?"

whether i indicate yes or no it shuts down and the cycle starts again. I have shut down and rebooted several times but it does not respond. I can't open iMovie
10/25/2012
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Thank you for the question. Can you please do the following and let me know what files you see in the folder at step 5?

1. Open the Go menu from the menu bar.
  2. Select Computer.
  3. In the Finder window that appears, open your hard drive. It is most likely named “Macintosh HD.”
  4. Open the Library folder.
  5. Open the QuickTime folder.

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac%20WMV%20Import.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac%20WMV%20Advanced.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac%20WMV%20Export.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/QTMpeg4Codec.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/3ivxVideoCodec.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVI.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component/

file://localhost/Library/QuickTime/CanonText.component/

Thank you. Please delete this file:

3ivxVideoCodec.component

Then empty your trash and try to launch iMovie again.

this seems to have worked...thanks. I will give you a superior rating. Can you explain why that file needed to be removed?

john

Yes, of course. That file was a part of an older library that conflicts with more recent versions of iMovie. An update to iMovie will require that file be removed so that it does not conflict when iMovie loads the necessary library files it needs to run. When you launch iMovie, it loads that library if it is present in the location you removed it from, and it doesn't know how to handle it anymore since it is old and unexpected. I'm glad the issue is resolved. Let me know if you have any questions on this and I'll be more than happy to assist further. Thanks again!
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer