Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

hello I am having a severe problem with my mouse. The cursor

just selects whatever is underneath...
hello I am having a severe problem with my mouse. The cursor just selects whatever is underneath the cursor, making typing and navigating an absolute nightmare.
I have tried all the usual get out such as repairing permissions I've even created another account are still at a Loss. I really would like some guidance on this.
Many thanks
Geoff
10/5/2012
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Thank you for the question. Can you please tell me what kind of system you have? I'm mainly interested in what kind of mouse you are trying to use. Is it the Apple Magic Mouse? Does the wired mouse work ok?

Hello Ben

I have an apple Magic mouse also a of, Magic trackpad, I have now turned Bluetooth off completely so the only malice I have connected is a wired Apple mouse I have reset the PRAM and the problem persists it is nearly impossible to type. I am at a loss on what to do next

Geoff

Sorry I missed out the system I have a Mac Pro 1.1 and I'm running OS 10.7.5 with the interim update that was posted yesterday however the problem started before that

,

Hello Ben

I have an apple Magic  mouse also a of, Magic trackpad,  I have now turned Bluetooth off completely so the only malice I have connected is a wired  Apple mouse I have  reset the PRAM and the problem persists it is nearly impossible to type. I am at a loss on what to do next

Geoff

Thanks for the reply. So does the Magic Trackpad and wired mouse work? I'm just trying to get a sense of whether this is a device issue or a system issue. Let me know if the trackpad or wired mouse are working fine. Thanks,

Hi Ben I'm sorry for being so vague none of my pointing devices work normally which is why I have switched Bluetooth off and now using my wired mouse which is plugged into my wired Apple keyboard and still the problem persists

I have no device that works correctly as I am typing this if I'd not mindful from where the cursor actually is it highlights everything and all deleted on the next keystroke

Can you try to disable the track pad to see if that helps? It sounds like that button may be stuck, which is causing all the other pointing devices to seem stuck as well. To do this:

Go to System Preference > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad

Click Trackpad Options

Check "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

Click Done

hi Ben As I said I have turned blutooth off so Ionly have the wired mouse connected

Apologies, I misread Mac Pro as Macbook Pro and was asking you to turn the integrated trackpad off. So my last test, can you unplug the keyboard to see if the behavior persists? That would seem to be the only common factor if there is a button stuck on the keyboard that is making all pointing devices highlight automatically.
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer

My apologies my cursor must have jumped and selected Macbook

The problem even taking the keyboard out of the equation still persists

Great news all this unpluging and plugging in has seemed to have cured it all. Many thanks for your assistance.

Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer