Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly wont send mail -

My Mac e-mail receives mail...
My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly won't send mail - My address [email protected] and it has worked for years - now I see that the bellsouth.net outgoing servers are listed as offline and I have no idea how to find out why.

I have a new iMac running Mountain LION. Can younhelpme?

Jim Rawls jrpalam#bellsouth.net
10/4/2012
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Goto Mailbox menu and select Take All Accounts Online

Does that works ?

NO -I tried that first but all accounts are on line - I looked at the connection doctor and it shows yahoo.pop as connected but no connection for bellsouth. net

Can you delete the account and add it back ?

I have done that - it still shows the bell south.net servers as offline= ???

What is your incoming and outgoing server ?

incoming server is imap.mail.yahoo.com

outgoing server is bellsouth.net

Change the outgoing server to smtp.att.yahoo.com

Does that works ?

No

Can you ask your ISP whether the problem is on their end or not ?

I have no idea how to call them or contact them - there is no number that I can find on the bellsouth or Att web sites - I am totally at a loss on this.

,No one seems to be able to help me with this problem - AT&T says it is probably Apple's problem because of an update to their OS about two or so weeks ago. MacMail goes through Bellsouth to AT&T and they use
Yahoo's servers so no one will take credit foe messing it up.
What is the outgoing port of your Mail ?

465

Can you please all these (available) settings are correct on your Mac Mail ?

• Email address: [email protected]
  • Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.att.yahoo.com
  • Incoming mail server SSL: enabled
  • Incoming mail port: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing mail server SSL: enabled
  • Outgoing mail port: 465
  • Username: your username
  • Password: your password

All the settings are correct as you list them.

AT&T told me the server settings have been changed to:

incoming: inbound.att.net/

outgoing: outbound.att.net/

I tried these and they do not work either.

Do you have another User account on your Mac ? If so, can you try Mail in that account.

I have and I did and they don't send mail either.

I'm getting out of ideas. Can you remove the slash after .net and try again ? ie.

outgoing: outbound.att.net

incoming: inbound.att.net

I have already tried that. I have had iMacs for 12 years and know a great deal about what they will and will not do, but this has me completely buffaloed. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the problem is with AT&T but they will never admit to anything.

All the settings are correct and I just don't understand why it is not working. Does this happens with iMac or with all other devices ?

Only since yesterday with MacMail

I believe the problem is with AT&T and not with your Mac. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.

OK

Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

I can wait. I do believe that either the update from Apple screwed this up or a recent change that AT&T made did it, but neither will admit it.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer

Have you tried a basic connectivity test to make sure your system can resolve the AT&T mail servers? Please try the following:

1) Open a terminal window
2) Type ping inbound.att.net
3) Type ping outbound.att.net

Make sure you get response back with a host name and IP address back. If not, we'll need to find out why your system cannot get to the servers (I verified mine can). Otherwise, you may want to try using the IP address instead of the host name in your mail configuration.

I do not know how to 'open a terminal window"

I went to utilities and double clicked the terminal icon.I typed in

ping inbound.att.net. Nothing happened.

Yes, that is the terminal. Once you type ping inbound.att.net, press enter and copy/paste me the output.

the terminal window is printing out a list of numbers but I have no idea how to send this to you other than capturing it and sending it to you via e-mail which my Mac refuses to do. HOW DOES ONE COPY/PASTE?

You can copy by highlighting the text and holding the CMD key and pressing C on your keyboard. You can paste by holding CMD and pressing V.

I assume it is printing out a response like this:

>ping outbound.att.net

Pinging smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [98.138.84.52] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51

>ping inbound.att.net

Pinging pop-att-new.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [98.139.213.175] with 32 bytes of data
:
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=52
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=50
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52

If so,that is a good sign which means your machine can communicate with the server. I would recommend trying to set the value 98.138.84.52 in your email configuration instead of outbound.att.net to see if that makes a difference.

that doesn't work for me.

the terminal now reads:

ping smtp.att.mail.fy4.yahoo.com (68.142.198.51): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 68.142.198.51: icml_seq=1 ttl=47 time=34.948 sec

Is the behavior the same when you use the outbound IP address in your mail configuration? Does it still tell you that the server is offline?

I assume that 68.142.198.51 is the outbound IP address.

It still says the server is offline

The only thing I can suggest doing at this point is changing your account password XXXXX see if that can force the server to refresh your credentials and allow you to send mail again.

The very strange thing is that I can send e-mail by going to the att mail

window and using the same account as always and.the same password XXXXX just won't work on MacMail outgoing. I really believe it is a problem with Apple's last update to Mountain Lion; that's when this mess started. I run Lion at home and have no problems with MacMail.

I agree. The issue seems with the way your Mac is storing your server info and user credentials. That's why I was suggesting to change the password XXXXX this is what AT&T is recommending for this problem as well.
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer

My problem has not been solved and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of this.

Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer