Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

mac mini purchased in 2008 werial #YM8180N6YL1 is slow to load

in safari ('yahoo home page),unit...
mac mini purchased in 2008 werial #YM8180N6YL1 is slow to load in safari ('yahoo home page),unit crashes and reboots itself about every 3 months when three applications are open (example: spotify playing music, imail open and reading an article from a newsletter in safari, while typing a note in textedit)
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2012
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist

Thank you for asking your question today. From what you've described, the first thing that came to my mind was the possibility of bad memory (RAM). You can test the memory by doing one or both of the following options:

Download Rember to test the memory. LINK It's pretty straight forward, as you can see.

graphic

If your system freezes during the test you probably have one or more faulty memory chip(s).

The more accurate option would be to download/install Memtest. LINK After installing it, do the following:

1. Shut down your computer.
2. Turn on your computer while holding the Command and S keys You can release those keys when you see black screen with white text with logging information from your system starting in Single User Mode.
3. After all logging is complete, your system is ready to run memtest command, press the ENTER key after you type:

memtest all

4. When the test has completed, you should see a message with information about your memory status. If your system freezes during the test you probably have one or more faulty memory chip(s).

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions, please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

unable to run memtest installed it, but mac wont respond to proceedure of shutting down (does this ok), and the holding command and s key while starting unit has no effect. computer just opens to desktop as normal. ran rember ok and showed no problem with memory.

real problem is that unit crashes as outlined in inital question

any suggestion as advice offered so far has not helped

thanks jim

Hold the power button (around 10 seconds) on your Mac Mini until it turns off. Once it's off, try running through the memtest instructions again.

ran memtest all and mac passed

what now; still same problems

thanks jim

Can you tell me which version of OS X you have? Go to Apple (top left corner of screen) > About this Mac. It should be something like 10.x.x.

i have 10.5.8

.

I want you to perform "First Aid' on your hard drive.

1. 1. Insert the OS X DVD, and then restart your computer. To force your computer to boot from the DVD, hold down the C key.

2. 2. Follow the instructions on the screen, and when the menu bar appears, from the Utilities (Mac OS X 10.5 and later), select Disk Utility.

3. 3. In the column on the left, select the volume you want to repair, and then on the right, click the First Aid tab. You can select multiple volumes by holding down the Command key while clicking the volumes.

4. 4. To verify and repair any problems on the selected volume(s), click Repair Disk. You can stop the scan at any time by clicking Stop Verify or Stop Repair.
  5. Once complete, reboot the computer by select Apple > Restart.

Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist

unit is still crashing when clicking on a link in imail that tries to open that link in safari. same as before. also now, because the only way to access first aid appeared to be to allow installation disk one to reload os 10, so now i cant access itunes. i get an error message "the file 'itunes library.it' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes" should i use time machine to go back and pick up the software updates to allow access to itunes? or will this simply complicate things?

thanks for your help jim

Did you reinstall OS X the other day? I just wanted you to access Disk Utilities from the menu bar. To get it to it, you need to boot from the disk, but don't need to reinstall. So did you ever run the First Aid?

For the iTunes problem, download and reinstall. Don't use the Software Update for this problem.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

have already downloaded latest software updates for itune and os10. still get error message.

did run first aid and it said all my disks were good and without error or whatever it said. indicated all disks are in good shape and ok.

as directed i followed the instructions that were on the disks that came with the mac mini. didnt see any instuctions or bar to click on first aid but had to wait till the disk finished installing the version of os10 that came with the mini. then was able to access first aid thru finder and applications and then utilities and the disk utilities. seemed the only way to do it. so why didnt i get directions to go to disk utilities in the first place? think the confusion is in what disks were available to me vs the "dvd" i dont have. thought he ment installation disks.

thanks jim

Yeah, you were using the correct DVD (installation disk). When you boot from the DVD, you will get the screen to install the operating system, but stop there. From the menubar, select Utilities > Disk Utility. Then select the volume you want to repair, and then on the right, click the First Aid tab > Repair Disk. This way you can run First Aid from a unlocked drive, which is different than the way you ran it.

You should perform a Time Machine restore, go back to date before the install, and then try running First Aid again.

have gone back as far as 9-4-12 in "jims computer" and only get error code-1426 "sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error code occured". jim

Ok, try running First Aid with the instructions I posted earlier.

going to be away from computer for a while. will do as directed when i get back. should i rate u so u get credit 4 ur time? thanks jim

You've already rated it. Try it later and let me know how it goes.

ran first aid on all disks (internal hd, external 250g time machine hd, 1t external memory {partitioned} from startup disk as directed; all cked ok.

still slow to load in safari when coming from imail (yahoo is home page in safari, and i know that is the fault of yahoo as it has always been slow thru 15 years of pc's).

hasn't crashed since a couple of days ago.

should i run time machine to restore itunes, or is something else next?

thanks for all your patience; i should have rated you excellent.

I'm glad that things are looking better. For iTunes, try downloading and installing it. You can download it from here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

tried it, but got message that i need 10.6 os or later as this is itunes 10.7

Sorry about that. I forgot that you were on 10.5. Here is the link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1575

ok. downloaded itunes 10.7, but a message says i need a version of quicktime that is not intended for 10.5.8os but the itunes appears to be for this os or higher. so im confused and stuck. maybe i need a still earlier version of itunes for which the quicktime version is already installed on my mac. itunes worked ok before.

do you have a link to the correct version of itune, and will i be able to install it over the later version?

help!

Try this first, and you still run into a problem, I've provided download links below.

1. Open Finder
2. Go to your iTunes folder by selecting folders, Home > Music > iTunes.
3. Rename file "library.itl" to "library.old".
4. Open iTunes to see if problem is resolved.

iTunes 10.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1103

iTunes 9.2.1

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1056

uhhh, where is home in finder? i did a search of applications, jkirk138138, desktop, and documents, but nothing like that is there, just a jumble of files, including one called itunes.itl, but it's just a text file.

???

jkirk138138 is probably your Home directory. It has a picture of house next to it. You might see your Music directory already on the left column of Finder. If so, select it and go to your iTunes directory.

ok, found music under home and itunes under music, but there doesnt seem to be any way to change itunes.itl to itunes.old and clicking on the itunes.itl just gives me the same message that i need a different version of quicktime.

To rename it, click the file to highlight it and click one more time to rename. Even though it's a double click, do it slowly to get the rename function to appear. After it rename, you can click any part of the screen to save the change.

not working. when i click on itunes.itl, it goes solid blue and opens the information on the file. anyway this is a document im working with. there doesnt seem to be any actual itunes software involved. but double clicking on it, however slowly just sends me back to the same message that i need a different version of quicktime. guess im not getting it, but i dont see anything in keeper that is itunes software. how is that possible? im still confused. sorry

Highlight the file, where is goes blue. Press the Control and I (as in Info) keys to view the info. When the info screen shows up, rename it in this window.

Here is a link to an older version of Quicktime that you can try:

Quicktime 7.7 for Leopard
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL761

sorry, still get the message about quicktime

Try the Quicktime download link I sent earlier.

Quicktime 7.7 for Leopard
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL761

it says that quicktime is for leopard. thats a later os than 10.5.8, isnt it?

10.5 is Leopard.
10.6 is Snow Leopard.
10.7 is Lion.
10.8 is Mountain Lion.

ok, itunes works, but my music library is gone.

Did you ever rename iTunes Library.itl to .old? If so, rename it back to .itl. Or you can rename it to iTunes Libary1.itl (or whatever name you want) After doing so, hold the Option key while opening iTunes, select the renamed library file, and it should be back to normal.

yes, i renamed itunes.itl to itunes.old. and i tried your suggestion to hold down the option key while selecting itunes.old, and it worked. all my music library was back. however, when i quit itunes, and reopened it, my music library had vanished again. am i missing a step?

You need to rename itunes.old back to an .itl file extension. You can delete the current itunes.itl and rename the .old one back to .itl. Or you can rename the .old one to itunes1.itl and use the Option key to point to it.

i dont understand my mind is mush ive had it for today talk to u tomorrow

When you get a chance, try one of the following:

1. Close iTunes.
2. In the iTunes folder, move ITunes Library.itl to the Trash bin.
3. Rename iTunes Library.old to iTunes Library.itl.
4. Open iTunes

This should bring back your library. Or you can do the following:

1. Close iTunes.
2. In the iTunes folder, rename iTunes Library.old to iTunes Library1.itl (we don't want it to be the same name as the current iTunes Library.itl.)
3. Hold down the Option key and open iTunes.
4. Select Choose Library.
5. Select iTunes Library1.itl.

You should now see your library with either option and it should reappear when you close/open iTunes.

Have a good night, and I will talk to you tomorrow.

i have tried your instructions and variations on them but nothing works.

still cant get my my music lib to appear.

Earlier, you said that when you selected the .old file, you could see your music, but when you closed it would be gone. Is that not the case anymore?

its funny-as i worked through the files in itunes, gradually more and more began to appear. finally i selected the correct one, by trial and error, and my music library is back permanitly.

still have the problem with safari crashing, and now spotify has started crashing too, upon opening.

the os10 hasnt crashed and rebooted itself since shortly after we started working on that as the original problem.

also somewhere alone the line my printer stopped working, and i cant find the driver for it in the list offered. guess ill need to got to the

website of whatever this one is...is given so little trouble ive forgotten what it is.

so whats next?

forgot: part of the original problem was safari was slow to load. still is, and sometimes it wont load at all but "stalls" with half an address highlighted in the address thingy

For the Safari crashing, you could try resetting it by going to Safari > Reset Safari > select all options. It will remove all history, cookies, saved passwords, and saved AutoFill information, including the ones saved during the current browsing session. Basically, it will eliminate if there are any 3rd party plugins that are crashing it. It will not remove bookmarks.

I checked the Spotify support and it seems to be a common problem. Make sure that you Download and install Spotify latest version: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg

that went smoothly what about os10 crashing and rebooting itself?

Is it still crashing? You said in your previous response that it hasn't crashed or rebooted itself since we started working on it. You ran First Aid on the drive, so that would have helped.

ok.. really cant remember when it crashed, but it was reciently. guess we are done unless it crashes sometime in the near future.

thanks for all your patience. talk to you whenever.... jim

Thanks. It was nice working with you!

hi toby

it rebooted itself twice yesterday, and is slow to load generally. i was doing my usual, imail was open, spotify was playing music, and i was reading an artical in safari that came from a link i found on imail. thats about all i use the computer for.

btw, i regularly run mackeeper, and i have heard rumors that it can cause problems of an unspecified type (and its popunder ads are annoying), but i think the problems started before i loaded mackeeper.

jim

Does it lock up/reboot when you aren't using Spotify? Spotify seems to cause what you are describing. You can google 'spotify crashing mac' and you will see multiple results. I know we've covered a lot of possible reasons, and it seemed to be working well for alteast a week or more. It also could be another app that is causing, like you said, MacKeeper. I personally don't use it because I don't see the point. OS X is a stable operating system and doesn't need 'cleanup' and 'sped up'.

guess i fell for advertising hype with mackeeper; will stop using it, and maybe (if it will let me), ill burn it to a dvd and delete it from my computer. that way ill still have it. I paid for it-guess im too frugal.

ill also try running my mac using itunes for music instead of spotify. actually, even if it is spotify, i like it so much i may put up with the crashing. does seem i had the problem before i downloaded spotify, though.

thanks once again; talk to you later if i still have problems, jim

Keep an eye on it to see what could be causing it. I'm not 100% sure it's Spotify, but there seem to be a lot of people with the same problem.

ok thanks jim

hi toby

well, it crashed and rebooted again. all programs/applications were closed except safari. i was cking car prices on autotrader.

any suggestions?

Hey Jim. You can try running First Aid on the drive again. Also, when you are on the screen with 'Repair Disk', you can also run 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

Your computer could also be to the point where a fresh install of OS X is needed or upgrade to Snow Leopard, 10.6. You would have to reinstall all of the applications again, as well. It would take some time, but in the long run, it might be worth it.

hey toby got problems held down c key as directed, but the lmachine went a head and installed osx and now im back where i was with my information all gone and having to contact u thru yahoo, because even my imail account is inoperable due to a request for a password that ive long ago forgotten. i need to restore EVERYTHING and there is no backup in timemachine. help jim

yahoo acct is [email protected]

So is everything gone? Like applications, files, pictures etc? If there is not a Time Machine backup, it's not possible to restore.

do you mean that when i installed osx it wiped the previous incarnation of osx off my hd? what do i do now? how do i access my i mail acct and load an updated version of itunes etc?

I cannot tell if it it wiped it out, since I'm not sure what you've done. The last time I asked you to run First Aid, you did a similar thing. From what it sounds like, this seems to be worse. Is that correct? Did it wipe all of your files, applications, etc?

yes, everything is gone

If everything is gone, unfortunately you wiped the drive and installed OS X. You will have to go through and re-install everything. Have you ever backup your computer in the past? There is a possibility some files could be recovered (no guarantees), but you could use a program like this:

Data Rescue 3 - http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/download.php?prodID=78 The full version costs $99, but you can scan with the trial to see what the scanner will find.

It really depends on how the drive was formatted during installation.
Toby K.
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist