Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

http://search.conduit.com/ How do I remove this site? When

http://search.conduit.com/ How do I remove this...
http://search.conduit.com/
How do I remove this site? When I attempt to open Firefox, this pesky site appears.
Relist: Other.
Ashik was busy or offline
10/2/2012
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. When you click on the home button in firefox is it going to this page? What add-ons do you have installed?

Thanks for the quick reply, Freddy.

Yes. When I click the Firefox home button, this page appears. I have very few (5 or 6) add-ons, none installed recently.

Can you tell me which add-ons exactly please? As this sometimes piggybacks on some of them.

Freddy,

These are the add-ons:

AddThis 3.5.9

Advertising Cookie Opt-oout1.5

DeeperWeb for Google 1.3.3

Forecastfox 2.2.1

Google Shortcuts 2.1.7.1

Pocket 3.0.0

Xmarks 4.1.3

I believe the renegade piggybacked on Produtool (??) on which site I expected to be able to download a manual to repair a kitchen faucet. I did uninstall the item via Firefox Tools.

Ok good that does indeed sound like it is where it came from. A lot of the "make money" toolbars have this on them. All you should have to do now is change your homepage. First at the top where you see the link type in the page you want as the homepage and press enter to go to it.

Now drag the icon from the left onto the home button like this (with facebook as the example).

Home page Win1
Once done press the home button and it should go to that page. Close firefox and reopen it. It should go to that page if it does not let me know. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page. If this does not work do not rate yet instead click on reply to expert and let me know so we can continue. If it opened properly and to the page you wanted please don't forget to please a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

Image you supply appears to be a PC. Since I am on an iMac. the image and directions do not correspond.

Those instructions are indeed for mac, however it may be a different version of firefox. Do you have a firefox menu like that or one that starts with the file menu? If you see a black question mark or the word help click on that and then about and it should give you the version.

I think we are moving in the right direction. However…When I attempt to open Firefox, the renegade appears. How do I get to Firefox?

You would need to change the start page, it sounds like you are using a different version than what I posted before though. Can you tell me which version of firefox you are using so I can help better please?

Freddy,

Firefox version 15.0.1

Thank you if you don't see any of the options I give you please let me know. Click on the firefox menu (depending on settings you may have a tools menu instead) and then click options. Make sure the general tab is selected. Then above home page you should see "when firefox starts" change that to say show my homepage. Make sure the link in the homepage box is the site you want it to start on. Then click on ok at the bottom. Once done test it again and let me know the results. If this does not work do not rate yet instead click on reply to expert and let me know so we can continue. If it opened properly and to the page you wanted please don't forget to please a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

Freddy,

I was able to rid my computer of the renegade and to establish a different homepage. Now I know (again or for the first time??) how to select and maintain an appropriate homepage.

Thanks,

c

Your welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician