Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Airport wireless has just stopped working. I have a 4

My Airport wireless has just...
My Airport wireless has just stopped working. I have a 4 year old Macbook, OS 10.5.8 . I am not highly computer literate. Can you help me restore my wireless?
10/2/2012
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
CompExpert :

hi,
first your have to check and see if your airport is detected by your system or not by click on the apple menu (apple icon) --->> about this mac --->> open up system profiler --->> under network --->> airport

similar to this picture link, you will see it detect airport extreme card--->>> http://bodgitandscarper.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/system-profiler.jpg

if yes your system detect airport card, then go to system preferences --->>> network --->> removed all airport in there by select it and click (-) sign then reboot your computer. after reboot log back into your mac and go to network --->>> click the (+) sign to add airport in again.

CompExpert :

try to connect to your wireless again

CompExpert :

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

This is not working for me.

CompExpert :

does the computer detect your airport card?

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I do not have "system profiler", only system preferences, and what I see is very different from what you showed me.

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I do not have a Mac Pro

CompExpert :

to get into system profiler, click on the apple menu ( apple icon on the upper menu) --->

about this mac

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I don't think so, tell me again what to do.

CompExpert :

click on the apple menu (apple icon) --->> about this mac --->> more info

CompExpert :

thats how you get into system profiler

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Can I email a photo of what I see?

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Okay, got it.

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Wireless Card Locale:
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.22)
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I have a PC beside me that is picking up the wireless signal.

CompExpert :

thats good that mean your system detect the airport card

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Locale:

CompExpert :

have this happen recently?

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

System doesn't detect Airport

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Yes, in the last week.

CompExpert :

were you able to add airport on system preference --->> network?

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

What now?

CompExpert :

are you there, were you able to add airport device under network?

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

yes, but it didn't work.

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a screen shot to show you.

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I tried to add an Airport 2, but both say Airport off

CompExpert :

can you turn it on?

CompExpert :

there should be a button that said turn on airport

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Yes, but it doesn't respond. That's the problem!

CompExpert :

okay follow the direction below and try to reset the pram (power reset), after that log back in and let me know

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

I will lose you then. Can you contact me again?

CompExpert :

bookmark this page and come back later

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

also, I'm not clear what the signal is after Command. (⌘)?

CompExpert :

just hold down 4 keys --->> Command-Option(alt)

-P-R keys

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Okay, here goes!

CompExpert :

okay

JACUSTOMER-6u16g3iq- :

Got it! Thank you! Here's hoping it continues to work.

CompExpert :

you're welcome
please rate my service and have a good day

CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist

It stopped working again!

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I asked for help restoring my Airport wireless. With your advice it came back momentarily, but then after one email quit again. This is obviously not a satisfactory solution. Please help, or send refund.

I'm waiting for a follow up.

Didn't work after 5 minutes! Waiting for a response and follow up!

hi,

try to go to apple menu ( apple icon) ---->> software update, make sure to install all available update and reboot your computer.

if that doesn't work try the step below:

1. Connect to network via Ethernet.
2. Go to Network in System Preferences.
3. Select AirPort and under the gear dropdown choose Make Service Inactive.
4. Hit the plus and add a new AirPort service (Airport 2 or whatever).
5. In the Advanced tab add the name of the wireless network you wish to join.
6. Hit Apply.
7. After a few moments, the new service found your network.

I checked for updates and there are none. I suspect it was the updates that knocked it out in the first place. The wireless works for a few minutes, then cuts out again.

Also, someone advised me that I should update my operating system. At present it's 10.5.8. Should I, and will that help?

the problem with update your operating system is:

1. apple only available update right now is Mountain Lion, but your system might not meet all the requirements.
go here to check minimum requirement to installed Mountain Lion
-->> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444

2. since Apple don't have other osx version you have to buy from amazon which cost $70-$200.

you could try to reinstall osx Leopard, remember reinstall will not delete your data.

1.if you have leopard 10.5, you will need osx installation disc
2.insert installation disc into dvd drive then power off your computer, power on your computer again right away hold down C key, keep holding it until you get to a language screen.
3.after that just follow the direction and reinstall your osx

I don't have access to the installation disc. I live in an isolated place in Mexico. I was told I could and should upgrade online.

the only way you can upgrade it only is by Apple Store.

if your system meet the minimum requirements for installing Mountain Lion then you can do it online.

other method is google and download it.

go to www.google.com search for " Mac OS X Install DVD snow leopard Retail.dmg "

if you can download it into your computer then you can installed it by double click on it.

I don't know what version (animal) I have. 10.5.8, late 2008, not aluminum. I don't think it fits the criteria. Also I have satellite internet so I am limited in how much I can download. I will wait till I'm in the city and see if I can find someone to help me with this.

The airport wireless is working right now. I would like to see if it stays, or quits again.

thats sound great, but might be right maybe you did some update before that might caused the problem.

unfortunately, we cannot uninstall an update in mac osx like windows pc operating system.

but do give me an update.

As I feared, the solution was temporary and my wireless is no longer working again. Not a satisfactory outcome. I'd appreciate further follow up or a refund.

open finder --->> open application folder ---->>> utilities ---->>> disk utility
within disk utility, select your hard drive name and select the first aid tab then do both verify disk and permission if it needs repair go ahead and do repair too.

after done reboot your computer.

also, I hope you understand that since you dont have the installation disc and you are in a remote place in mexico. it really hard to solve the problem since we dont have a tool to reinstall osx.

plus your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install Mountain Lion, like I said before try to download a copy of snow leopard 10.6 retail by search in google.com. I cannot put the link in here because of justanswer policy.

another way is to buy snow leopard disc:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OS-X-Snow-Leopard-10-6-3-Retail-MC573Z-A-ver-10-6-3-NEW-SEALED-Apple-/251160395210?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3a7a537dca

I have just made contact with an Apple expert who is coming to my area. He is going to bring me a new Airport card and help me update my computer. Thank you for your attempt to help me, but I could not solve my problems with your advice. Please arrange to refund my $58.

please give me an update if the tech able to solve your problem or not.

I won't be able to see him until next Wednesday, Oct 10th. He is visiting Baja, Mexico where I live and bringing me a new Airport card from the US. In the meantime, I am using my ethernet cable. I will let you know how it goes after that if you want.

sure, let me know after. thanks
CompExpert
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist