Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

The main fuse in the house has tripped. The MAc will not come

back on even though I...
The main fuse in the house has tripped. The MAc will not come back on even though I have changed the fuse in the plug. The plug is connected to a power surge extension
10/2/2012
bbl242003
bbl242003, Computer Hardware Engineer

bbl242003 :

welcome

I will be assisting you in solving the ongoing issue with the IMAC NOT powering up

bbl242003 :

let me know when your ready to get started

bbl242003 :

welcome

10:04 AM

Customer:

Ready to start

bbl242003 :

WELCOME back

bbl242003 :

Have you tried to remove the imac from the surge protector completely, and install directly into the wall ac outlet?

Customer:

Yes

bbl242003 :

when you hit the power button on the imac, does the led light even so much as flash briefly ?

Customer:

Nothing at all. No red light anyway - a small white light in bottom right corner to show when on

bbl242003 :

can you hear the power supply on the backside of the imac turn on? try to get up close to it, and turn off the tv, close the windows,

Customer:

Nothing! I do have other things connected to the power outlet that work - a printer and light.

bbl242003 :

so, we have two definitive causes to this problem

ONE, your circuit breaker is bad , have it replaced, cost is $15 for a new one

TWO, Your power supply on your imac is about to go completely bye bye, and could cause a fire, replacement cost, $59 ebay.com

Recommendation, replace BOTH , the breaker, and the power supply, and avoid the surge protector until we have fixed the problem.

NOTE, I'm going mobile now, I will continue to support you until worlds end , or at least until we solve this. Will respond to any new questions you have for me. Please be patient with my responses to you, I will respond to most of your follow up questions within the hour.

Thank you

OK I Feared it could be. Will investigate next steps.

I'm mobile now let me know if I can help you with anything else in the interim

Problem solved. Appears to have been a problem with the cable from the mains to computer. Not the fuse in the plug however. A cheap solution fortunately

AWESOME!
let me know if I may be of assistance in any other areas for you.

As that was easy! If i want tos end photos from Iphoto it won't let me use gmail . Any suggestions. I get messages about SMPT or similar?

The smpt errors that your seeing a likely associated with a password, id, or communication authentication issue.

do you have the complete smpt error?

Not sure I understand the process. The message I get is:

This message could not be sent because SMTP options are not set for your account. Set the SMTP options in the Account Information pane of Mail preferences.

The server “[email protected]” cannot be contacted on port 465.

has the smtp connection with gmail EVER worked correctly on this mac?

Not that I recall. I have not set one up

please follow all the steps at the below link, if you get stuck respond to me and I will continue to assist you.

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_gmailosxmail.htm

Followed link and instructions as follows:

• Make sure IMAP access is enabled for the Gmail account.

• Select Mail | Preferences... from the menu.

• Go to the Accounts tab.

• Click the plus sign under the accounts list.

• Type your name under Full Name:.

• Enter your Gmail address under Email Address:.

• Now enter your Gmail password XXXXX Password:.

• Make sure Automatically set up account is not checked.

All done except final one as no box. Then get the following message:

Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password XXXXX entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages.

I use Chrome

Solved!!

I had another account under googlemail that I have hardly ever used. Tried it and it works usng guidance

Thanks and that is it for now.

Kindly provide a happy rating so that I may be compensated for assisting you! A happy rating is the only way we are paid. Let me know if your unable to accept and provide a rating.
bbl242003
bbl242003, Computer Hardware Engineer
bbl242003
bbl242003
bbl242003, Computer Hardware Engineer